JAV Recovery Help

ArgentGrace

Mar 31, 2010
Hey,

I do not know if this is the right forum to ask, but recently my hard drive died on me. And that hard drive has 1 TB of javs...

Is there any way to recover or is it gg and i would need to "start" over.

:(, any help is appreciated.

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
It is definitely the hard drive? Or your PC stopped working? If Windows fails to load it could be just an OS failure. If you have access to another PC you can take the hard drive out and plug it into a hard drive dock via USB to another PC and check if it can be read as an external drive.

What's the situation other than "hard drive died"?

qwerty07

Mar 3, 2010
HDDs do tend to die over time. What I try to do to keep it working as long as possible is to unplug it whenever I'm not using it.

I feel so bad for you. I would feel like complete SHIT if all the time I spent on building a collection just dissapeared!

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
There are services out there which can recover data from HDD even if the HDD was erased by burning it or by physical power. But these services are really expensive.

I recommend to make a backup periodically. You should do that also for your mails, documents and so on. An external drive (USB or eSATA) isn't very expensive. Some even ship with a backup software.

jugulear

Akiba Citizen
Jan 20, 2012
Your tale of woe is very painful, ArgentGrace. The same thing happened to me once, and I felt exactly as Qwerty07 described. It's not just losing the movies, what about the enormous time spent, researching, locating, filling out the CAPTCHAs, the downloading... horrible.

Since then, I have always invested in duplicate hard drives. A hard drive can go at any time, often without warning.

This is one reason why I usually steer away from the giant-sized files; you not only have to find the space for them on one drive, but two. (Anyone reading this who has not invested in back-up drives - you had better not delay.)

I hope you paid heed to Casshern2's advice, and checked whether the problem is definitely the hard drive; hooking it up to another computer was a great suggestion. Once you know beyond a doubt that the drive has kicked the bucket, there are a few things you can do, short of going to an expensive data recovery service.

When mine went, I did some research, and enlisted the aid of a company in Canada which switched... ohh, I forgot the technical terms now, but each drive has a plate that you can unscrew on the bottom (do not remove the cover! If any dust gets on the inside of a drive, that's it). This plate has the drive's signature, and theoretically, when reproduced, could get the drive going again - assuming the problem is not a mechanical one. The experience cost fifty dollars. Did not work; I had to build up the collection anew.

Other advice includes freezing the drive wrapped in paper towels and placed inside a sealed plastic bag (do a little research for more exact advice), and there have been times when a drive can "wake up" for a short spell, allowing you to quickly make a duplicate copy. (Make sure you have your new drive ready, because the waking up is usually good for only a temporary time.) This did not work with my drive. (And really, you should not ordinarily be subjecting a delicate instrument to such shock treatment, but there comes a point when you have nothing to lose.)

Not long ago, I had another drive go out on me, and I remembered another tip - rapping the drive once, sharply, against a solid area. This didn't work with my drive full of JAV, but it actually worked with the more recent drive. I quickly copied whatever I needed to salvage from it.

EDIT:
In response to the post below, you only bring a drive into a clean room if the drive is to be opened; but opening the drive is not an option for the inexperienced.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArgentGrace

Mar 31, 2010
Thanks for all the thoughts.

I do know that the hard drive is making the zzz sound and click sound. I've heard this may be the needle or platter issue or what not.

I was told not to open it or else any particles touching the platter will destroy all files.

I was also told to bring it to a clean room.... is that my only option.

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
ArgentGrace, does your computer come up? Windows loads? (assuming you are on Windows) Or you just hear those noises and nothing comes up? If that is the case my earlier suggestion may work.

ArgentGrace

Mar 31, 2010
Whoops I'm sorry. I need to clarify. This is an external hard drive I'm talking about. Not the hard drive in the computer :(

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
Okay, here's another scenario. A buddy of mine had an older WD external drive. One of the big kind that looks like their new Cloud storage things only black. Long story short...same thing. I was able to pry it open and unscrew it from the casing and was left with just a regular hard drive. We hooked it up to my hard drive dock and were able to salvage everything he had on it. His issue was like yours actually. It would spin and click and then nothing. It was the hardware connected to the hard drive that was failing. We followed the instructions in the video below and lucked out that he didn't have near as many screws as the video suggested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FlySnyJ0CQ

PLEASE do this at your own risk. It was short and sweet for us, I used a small skinny flat head screwdriver to get into it. Since we thought the HDD was possibly dead and figured we didn't have much to lose we didn't much take care taking it apart to get the hard drive. If you try this understand it is only a suggestion.

renren.21

May 22, 2013
There's this software I used called Recuva(torrent the paid version if you can). It can recover deleted files, but I'm not so sure for a dead hdd.