JAV file size reduction

pikuseru

Jul 27, 2015
The ISO files are actually less than DVD quality. They are 480i, which is worse than 480p. To convert using Handbrake, you will need to enable deinterlacing, otherwise the resulting video will have deinterlacing artifacts.

I agree with Avvilimento, be wary of "fast" encoding. If you really want to save space, you should choose slower settings because it will result in a smaller file for the same quality, or higher quality for the same file size.

Avvilimento

Jul 8, 2013
the differences between my Handbrake CPU rip and my StaxRip GPU Rip may be there, but they seem to be so small that I wouldn't care.
In the end, that's what counts. Hopefully you can solve that audio issue, though I'm afraid I can't offer any assistance there (I've never used StaxRip).

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
I have to admit that I'm not too familiar with all this stuff. But, in my case, I was specifically talking about ripping ISO files, which are DVD quality, 480p. Not really great quality to begin with, and the differences between my Handbrake CPU rip and my StaxRip GPU Rip may be there, but they seem to be so small that I wouldn't care. The missing audio however is too bad
Now, converting a file from 1080p to 720p or even lower I have not tried yet, as I said. Might just have to do that and see for myself how big the difference in quality is.
Can't you extract the audio and them mux it back in later?

dent80

Jun 14, 2008
@Avvilimento
Exactly the way I see it. I just wanted to have an mp4 file rather than an image file. As you may know, these ISO files don't always work with VLC, and I don't care about DVD features, so for me it is: single mp4 file > ISO

Can't you extract the audio and them mux it back in later?

I would have liked to, but I don't know how to do that. StaxRip, I assume, can't do this, can it?
As I said, I don't have a lot of knowledge in Encoding/Ripping.

Last edited:
Reactions: svc3166

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
@Avvilimento
Exactly the way I see it. I just wanted to have an mp4 file rather than an image file. As you may know, these ISO files don't always work with VLC, and I don't care about DVD features, so for me it is: single mp4 file > ISO

I would have liked to, but I don't know how to do that. StaxRip, I assume, can't do this, can it?
As I said, I don't have a lot of knowledge in Encoding/Ripping.
If you have WinRar, you're in luck. If you have a valid ISO file, it is really just an archived file. Rename the extension from .iso to .rar and extract all. You should end up with the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders of the DVD structure. The VOB files will be there.

Reactions: dent80