Japanese last name

Muz1234

Nov 6, 2013
Are Japanese last name same from a heritage to another heritage? If a Japanese women surname example name Hamasaki marries a man with surname Tanaka, does it mean the women has to change her surname to Tanaka? What about if a foreigner marries a Japanese, does the women surname has to change to the husband's surname?

Jackdee

Aug 19, 2011
It’s the same as everywhere in the world. They can if they want . They don’t have to though

barba

we all make mistakes
Jun 6, 2007
and don't forget. the japanese say the last name first and the first name last. so what westerners call the first name is actually the last name. and vice versa.

hairy_bush

SLF Refugee
May 20, 2016
This is objectively not true, the Japanese supreme court has ruled against women retaining their family name after marriage.

nordic is correct women must take the family name of their husband, but there is only one exception and that's if hubby is a foreigner.

Like in my case, wife is Japanese and she works in an ultra-conservative company, so she kept her last name. Having a foreign last name in her company would have caused confusion with co-workers and customers.. and other headaches

I guess if my wife worked at a mega international company, then it would be cool to have a foreign last name

Jackdee

Aug 19, 2011
You live and learn..
My wife (Japanese) took my name and we both regret it as we live in japan.

I guess it’s still pretty common for men to change their name to their wives name. I know a handful of Japanese men and a few foreigners who have done that.

petey22

Aug 4, 2010
nordic is correct women must take the family name of their husband, but there is only one exception and that's if hubby is a foreigner.

Like in my case, wife is Japanese and she works in an ultra-conservative company, so she kept her last name. Having a foreign last name in her company would have caused confusion with co-workers and customers.. and other headaches

I guess if my wife worked at a mega international company, then it would be cool to have a foreign last name

Actually, you and nordic are incorrect. As the linked article says, "a Civil Code provision that requires one partner of a married couple, which in practice is nearly always the female partner, to change his/her surname to that of the other partner"

The law was deemed constitutional because it is not sexist, because it specifically says that both partners must have the same name. That means one of them must change their name, not that "the woman must change", although as the underlined portion says, it is "nearly always" the woman who changes.

Some Japanese men do take the name of their wife though. Granted, it is rare and usually limited to situations such as the wife having no brothers to inherit the family business, so the newlyweds keep the wife's family name (with the intention of inheriting the business in the future).