I'm trying to get into anime. Recommendations?

TMCHIPPY

Oct 9, 2008
I'm not really into anime, but i wanna see what it has to offer. The only anime I've seen that i've enjoyed was FLCL. Can anyone recommend something?

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
It might help to know what other anime you've seen period. Because if all I've got to go off of is FLCL, then all I could really say is, "Go out and grab a few other animes and report back to us."

What did you like about FLCL that you didn't like about other series you've seen?

TMCHIPPY

Oct 9, 2008
I've seen most of Elfen Lied (?), some of bleach, some dbz. They all seemed sort of uninteresting. I guess I like elfen the most out of those.

I liked FLCL because it seemed weird but still unpretentious. It wasn't trying to be super cool or stylish, it was just cool.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Given what you've said, the only show that really jumps out at me that I should recommend to you is Cowboy Bebop. If you haven't already seen it, Bebop was a show with a lot of pizzazz and style that all came naturally. It was a huge hit a number of years back -- I remember watching it on DVD in '02 or '03 -- and from what I understand it has withstood the test of time.

I could recommend other series but it'd be hard to know for certain whether I was steering you right or wrong.

EDIT: Why would you recommend Naruto to him if he said he disliked DBZ and Bleach?

Skyraida

Is Eating Your Internets
Mar 27, 2008
i lolled too, suggesting naruto when DBZ and Bleach was condemned xD

The only one i can think of is Gintama, it pokes fun of alot of different animes and mangas, like alot of parodies yet keeping in line a bit. It's just as ridiculous as FLCL, e.g. aliens, random spawning.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
You laugh, yet you too then turn around and recommend, and I quote, an anime that "pokes fun of alot of different animes and mangas" to a guy who only lists 4 animes that he's seen? ^^; I've never seen Gintama so I have no idea if it, like Excel Saga, Genshiken, and Haruhi, is best seen only after a long stay in the anime fandom, but if it is what you say it is then it sounds like he wouldn't get much out of it.

Hell, I've seen over a hundred (106 by my count) and I still have held off on watching Excel Saga. Mostly because of those 106 so few are from the 1990s that I think Excel Saga would be mostly parodying. ^^;

Skyraida

Is Eating Your Internets
Mar 27, 2008
Damn right i laughed, Naruto is like one of the common animes that have been dubbed mainstream in bad fashion. Such as bleach, one piece, FMA, and so forth.

What i recommended is one that i felt matched FLCL the best. "pokes fun of alot of different animes and mangas" does not mean the entire show is based on parodies. It has it's own point. The parodies are some time subtle, and vary. Some of them are based off vintage ones "mazinger Z, Getta," Gintama has its very own storyline, and distinctiveness, it's a bizzare comedy is what it is.

Anyways Sakunyuusha, you should give Gintama a try one of these days.
Here's some clips of various parodies
Naruto

Prince Of Tennis

Detective Conan

Dragon Ball Z

Bleach

One Piece, Bleach, Dragonball

and the list goes on...

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I've only seen Naruto and TeniPuri, but oh my god was that Gintama TeniPuri link hysterical!!!!! Thanks! "It's funny because it's true!" is an appropriate response to that video. Yeah, it was making fun of how over-the-top the Prince of Tennis depicts middle school boys' varsity tennis, but at the same time ... is it really that much different from the real show? I mean ...

SERIOUSLY?

Don't get me wrong, I've seen every single episode of the Prince of Tennis up through the Semis. Even all the OAVs and specials. The only thing I have yet to see is the Finals themselves. It's just ... that episode of Kawamura's was the straw that broke the "HOLY SHIT, TENIPURI BREAKS THE LAWS OF PHYSICS" camel's back for me. lol

And if that didn't tickle your funny bone enough, check this lovable scene out from the TeniPuri movie: TEZUKA ZOOOOOOOONE!

relsirc

Mar 15, 2007
Hmm how about try watching ouran high school host club? or some comedy anime hehe

Blood+ is also good, I liked the story.

I fell asleep on the first season of God save my king. :sleeping::It was really boring.

AnimaticallyInsane

Oct 16, 2008
Well it kinda depends on what kind of genre you like i guess

well i started on Gundam Seed and yeah it just became my hobby i guess

oh and btw i heard from one of my friend that he introduced a girl to watch 5cm/s and she was pretty touched by it

maybe you can try that movie its a really good movie

dman89

Aug 12, 2008
You should try Big-O, i loved that anime, it seemed bit like Batman-Bruce Wayne cuz of all the black suites :casual: Also Darker Than Black was nice too, with all the assassins and stuff,

rush808

Jul 10, 2008
these are nothing like FLCL, but I like them. and there nothing like DBZ.

Beserk...If you like violence.
Deathnote first season, Not the Dubbed version... not sure i jus liked it.

Advice: READ manga; like comic book movies (spiderman, spawn) the video version is just the tip of the story, theres just so much more. Reading might enhance your anime experience.

try not to watch english dubbed!!

theres one more anime. whats the 1 with "lil batter" the kid with the inline skates and a baseball bat? hitting up ppl with issues.

Animan

The Mysterious Stranger
Dec 31, 2006
You can't go wrong with any of the Miyazaki made anime. Like Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and My Neighbour Totoro.

dbguy

May 31, 2007
Hi, I guess it depends what type of anime you like.

I'll just recommend some of the ones I've enjoyed.

Samurai Champloo, Rurouni Kenshin, Evangelion, and Macross.

That should give you a bit of a backlog to watch.