I demand an answer!

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Sorry in advance about the title but I have a question that is driving me just frigging crazy, (it doesn't matter that I had a head start in that direction either).

WHY ARE ALL THE GIRLS IN HENTAI CAUCASION!?!?!???
REDHEADS, BLONDES, BRUNETTES!

NO HISPANIC, NO DARKSKINNED GIRLS, NO MIDDLE EASTERN GIRLS, AND NO ASIAN GIRLS!!! THIS IS JAPANESE ART! WHERE ARE THE ASIAN GIRLS! EVEN THE CATGIRLS LOOK CAUCASIAN!

Okay, don't get me wrong. I am not saying I don't like hentai art and hentai games. I actually enjoy them very much. But I play games and the girls talk in japanese, act japanese, and look like western cheerleaders or from a western stripclub. Nothing is wrong with that, I find the look attractive and the contrasts appealing. But it doesn't make sense to me. It makes no sense at all. Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm sure there a few exceptions but for the majority I feel I have a legitimate question here. I'm not looking for an argument, I just want some feedback because I JUST DO NOT UNDERSTAND.

Thank any and all who are kind enough to leave an opinion on this thread.

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime + all links given on that page...

If you are an owner of an Anime18 DVD - there is short trip into the history of Japanese Animation reg. style, characters, hair color etc. part of every DVD. It´s part of the releases of the European Silver Media Group S.A. as well, but not of all. Silver Media Group S.A. nearly had brought all U.S. h-anime releases to Europe, just as a copy of the original releases, the company located in Greece is rather unknown though. Some of them are a bit strange though, just like Mija I with it´s Greek subtitles. But the DVD´s are rather cheep...

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
WHY ARE ALL THE GIRLS IN HENTAI CAUCASION!?!?!???
REDHEADS, BLONDES, BRUNETTES!

NO HISPANIC, NO DARKSKINNED GIRLS, NO MIDDLE EASTERN GIRLS, AND NO ASIAN GIRLS!!!

I'm actually really very confused by this question, since I'm so used to recognizing the difference between Japanese anime-style girls and Caucasian anime-style girls. If what you're getting at is "why do even the Japanese ones look Caucasian," then yeah, red's got the answers for you. It's not that they necessarily look Caucasian because of Caucasian-ness. They look Caucasian because they're drawn beautifully in the eyes of the Japanese artists, and Japanese concepts of beauty have traditionally held the following ideas:
- the more visible your eyes are, the prettier
- the bigger your breasts are, the prettier
- the more colorful your hair is, the prettier

Most Japanese girls and young women HATE their straight black hair. They're very envious of white girls who not only may have non-black hair (blonde, brown, red, whatever) but whose hair is naturally more curly or bobby than the straight-as-boiled-noodles Asian hair tends to be. And as for Japanese boys and young men, it's a no-brainer that when they live in a country where 99.9% of the people they see on a daily basis have black hair that they're probably sick and tired of it. It's why you almost never see black hair in anime (never mind hentai). They always have green, red, purple, yellow, orange, blue, silver, white, etc. hair and eyes. Think of X/1999. Everybody in that show is Japanese except for Karen and (iirc) Natsuki (who might be half-Caucasian, I don't remember). Fuuma, Kamui, Sorata, Arashi, everybody. What color are Arashi's eyes? Blue. Sorata's? Red. Fuuma's? Red. And yet X/1999 stands out in many anime fans' minds as being an anime that looks "so realistic" because the characters all have relatively normal haircuts and everybody except Karen has black hair. To put it to you another way, think about Naruto. He looks like he could be Hulk Hogan's boy, but he's Japanese. Sasuke? Japanese. Haruka? Japanese. None of them may look Japanese to you, but that's anime for you.

Now ... if your question was instead, "Why are all the girls in hentai genuinely Caucasian?", then I'm very confused and can only say that you're wrong. o_O; But I doubt this is what you meant, so I'll hold off on that until you reply.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
hmmmm

I am really more interested in hearing what others have to say here than commenting myself but if I'm asked to clarify I suppose I would be rude not to try. I just don't want to come off as defensive or argumentitive.

Males in the Hentai I have seen are acceptable to me in the way they are portrayed and often seem very asian to me. Not that it matters, really, because it is the girls that I am usually looking at or for anyway, lol.

I read the wiki thread, still following some of the links, not satisfied with the answer but it is informative, and I don't have to be satisfied, I just want to be better informed.

I often see black hair on the girls in my hgames, just not as often as different colored hair but I can only talk about my limited experience with the games I have played. Personally I find asian womans silky straight black hair to be extremely sexy but many caucasion girls also have straight black hair. What asian females don't normally have is milky white skin, as far as I have seen. I have no problem with asian skin either, I love the almost goldish hues and I find their skin to be often flawless in its beauty. I don't understand the whole eye thing but at least it seems a plausible explantion. I have never thought of asian women as lacking in expression and I find their eyes seductive.

I can't talk for all anime or hentai, just from what I have seen, and that is in japanese games I've played the girls sure look like that they are meant to look caucasion. I'm okay being wrong or simply misinformed. I just thought I couldn't be the only one who noticed this and that there was a reason or reasons for it I might be able to understand. If it is a fetish thing I wouldn't expect it to be so common because the words fetish and common just don't go well together.

I admit to having rather dark tastes when it comes to the games I play and the hentai I enjoy, (I am a very sick puppy). Maybe that has something to do with it. I really don't know. But I really can't see this as just a perception problem on my part.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Okay, let's try to identify what's going on here. :) I'm going to post fifteen pictures from different games:
  • 01-05: girls who I don't think you could argue are Caucasian. I mean, you could try, but you've got nothing to work with except boob size. o_O
  • 06-10: girls who I think you could argue are Caucasian if you wanted to, but who are normally assumed to be Japanese.
  • 11-15: girls who I don't think you could argue are not Caucasian. These girls either very much look it or are even said to be of European descent.

You tell me, based on your personal beliefs, if I'm 14 for 15 correct, 10 for 15, 1 for 15, 0 for 15, whatever you honestly feel. I'm not God. I can be wrong, too. We all have opinions. :) I'm just trying to understand yours and where you're coming from.

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
To put it to you another way, think about Naruto. He looks like he could be Hulk Hogan's boy, but he's Japanese. Sasuke? Japanese. Haruka? Japanese. None of them may look Japanese to you, but that's anime for you.

Sasuke has black hair (or dark at least) as far as I know. Ok he's not a girl, but it's still an example.
I don't think black hair is really avoided in anime (and hentai). Most secondary characters have this feature, because it's easy to paint. The haircut colour is mostly used to differenciate main characters, who otherwise will look very similar due to standardization of the animation process (grrrr I hate computer animation).

I think mainly why japanese animation draw people like "caucasian" or "european" is that they try to be as simple (cheap) as possible, when drawing the character's faces and haircut. So the characters usually end up having "standard" faces, and caucasian type seems to be the closest "real" type to this.
So it's not only for being "exotic" that they do that, but also for historico-economical reasons.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
All good points! But I think if you take a second look at anime, you'll see that brown tends to be the default hair color for women, not black. Or at least that's what I've observed. o_O

HENTAIBEN

The Nesta
May 13, 2007
I think it's the white skin that throws people off more than anything. At least when I think about it that's the only thing that comes to mind. As it is I associate anime/hentai with Japan so by default I assume everyone is Asian unless proven otherwise.

Something that came to mind while reading this thread though was Genshiken. The main characters are all Japanese, and some of them even look it despite their white skin. But later on in the series some Americans are introduced and they look very different, one of them is pretty ugly actually imo. I don't know where I'm going with this, but yeah...

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
That's the thing, though: Japanese people aren't all that yellow. (Matter of opinion! ^^; I'll admit! So let me rephrase: I don't think the Japanese who I've seen on TV or known in real life are all that "yellow.") They're really, really very fair. I mean, yeah, duh, they're still genetically half-Chinese, there's no escaping facts, but I think that the non-Sinoethnic tribes indigenous to Japan during the pre-Jomon and Yayoi periods must have been pretty damn Caucasoid because the Japanese today have rather light skin compared with their Chinese and Korean cousins. Especially the Chinese, who have that classic "golden" color to them, something that's far far too light to be called a tan but is not quite yellow, either.

Speaking of "white," lol, I wonder why anyone calls us white. We're so obviously pink. If a Chinese man is not white but "yellow," then I'm not white but "red." He's a very, very, VERY fair yellow-ish tinge, and I'm a pinky tinge. And so are you (if you're white). And why "black"? Nobody's black! There's really really really dark brown! And then lighter shades of brown up from there. But black? No such thing as a charcoal-black person! Just very, very dark brown.

And "red" hair? What's up with that one? It's orange! (This one's historic: cultural distinction of the color "orange" is a relatively recent invention for all societies, while red is one of the classic Four Colors which anthropologists have observed was understood to be a distinct color by every tribe on the planet. [The other three being blue, black, and white.] But still! It's the 21st Century, people! Why do we still call it red hair when it's not Ronald McDonald red? It's "carrot top" orange!)

Oh, race. :) The terms one must use to discuss it are as dumb and confusing as the majority of the discussions themselves. XD ;D

xeruel

黒英雄伝説
Mar 22, 2008
NO HISPANIC, NO DARKSKINNED GIRLS, NO MIDDLE EASTERN GIRLS, AND NO ASIAN GIRLS!!! THIS IS JAPANESE ART! WHERE ARE THE ASIAN GIRLS! EVEN THE CATGIRLS LOOK CAUCASIAN!

The words in red is a mistake, I've seen hispanic in mangas, darkskinned girls there's a lot in manga/anime(either african or gangguro) , asian girls ?? I think I've seen enough chinese girls in Hens
Now Middle Eastern Girls ?? although I have blurry memory about them but they exist too as belly dancer etc. Marina from Gundam 00 is one example in anime but for Hentai maybe Red's 1001 night could be a good example of middle eastern ??? Twin angels sutra (is this the right name ??)

Basically you need to broaden your knowledge in Hentai, I've yet too seen A type of girl untouched by Hens :lols:

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
Here are a few examples how good or bad the hair color style follows a scheme or not...

First we have Orie from School of Bondage, her hair just is black, so normal. Korin, the second female character has the typical green hair color plus the typical glasses addicted to that color, the teacher (Izumi) has brown hair color only.

Then we have Naomi (orange) and Mizuho (red) from Desperate Carnal Housewifes, all other female characters (5) in that series just have black or brown hair color.

Completely opposite to that there is Slave Nurses, Yosuke, the male character has normal black hair, the female characters are completely different however, there are Haruka (light brown), Mikuru (violet), Natsuki (blue), Eri (green, of course with glasses) and Saeko (dark blue).

But these are examples only...

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Sakunyuusha I would say 0-15 though I might possible say the first five so maybe 5-15. The reason is caucasion girls have black hair often as well, if I could see the difference represented between a caucasion girl with the same color hair as an asian or even specifically a japanese girl then perhaps I may understand a little better. (redrooster did you notice the difference in skin pigments between the males you posted and the females? why is that?)

I have enjoyed reading every reply, this is a subject that has been nagging at me for awhile now.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Don't you mean to say 5/15 or 10/15? Because the last row is pretty clearly white women. lol Unless you're saying that they look like blonde-haired, green-eyed Asian princesses to you. In which case, I just don't understand how your visual cortex communicates with your temporal and parietal lobes. @_@

If I'm right (that you meant to give me both the top and the bottom row, and just not the middle one), then we've identified your "problem," or lack thereof, which is that you're probably very new to hentai and to anime overall. 'Cause I don't think many fans would look at the middle row and assume that the girls are anything other than Japanese, but you're quite right that when you step back and take a second look at them that they look like peculiar drawings of Caucasian girls.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Don't you mean to say 5/15 or 10/15? Because the last row is pretty clearly white women. lol Unless you're saying that they look like blonde-haired, green-eyed Asian princesses to you. In which case, I just don't understand how your visual cortex communicates with your temporal and parietal lobes. @_@

If I'm right (that you meant to give me both the top and the bottom row, and just not the middle one), then we've identified your "problem," or lack thereof, which is that you're probably very new to hentai and to anime overall. 'Cause I don't think many fans would look at the middle row and assume that the girls are anything other than Japanese, but you're quite right that when you step back and take a second look at them that they look like peculiar drawings of Caucasian girls.

you have a good sense of humour, lol.
Sorry I misunderstood your query on first reading, I'm lousy at quizes. But you seem to have figured me out, including my problem with my temporal and parietal lobes.( I try not to dwell on my mental handicaps). Thanks for all your input.