How to search for posts

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

creyzi4zb12

May 2, 2008
Is it just me, or is the search for posts feature broken?
I can't seem to find the checkbox that let's me enable "post" search results. All I get are titles of the "threads"

Reactions: 1 person

neohunter

May 30, 2008
I also got the threads returned when only checking "posts". Has the search feature / criteria been changed? I thought searching for "ipz-" in the past would yield search results but now it does not. I may be mistaken however.

It is strange to me because I just tried searching "azrd-" which produced 154 results and "iptd-" which produced 500 results, but more popular searches such as soe- or ipz- do not give any results. At first I thought there may be a minimum search character criteria, but I also tried searching "iptd" and that gave 500 results as well.

comex

Dec 1, 2010
I dont get it :(
Lets say I search for the word "silver".
If I check "posts" or not, if I put the asterix * or not, it will allway only show me the results as "threads", not "posts".
How helpful is that if I want to find that single post with the word "silver" in that topic of some 50 pages?
cheers!

creyzi4zb12

May 2, 2008
I dont get it :(
Lets say I search for the word "silver".
If I check "posts" or not, if I put the asterix * or not, it will allway only show me the results as "threads", not "posts".
How helpful is that if I want to find that single post with the word "silver" in that topic of some 50 pages?
cheers!

Yeah..this is also my problem.
There is a checkbox for posts. I check it, but the results that appear are always in "threads" not "posts"

Reactions: 4 people

Gir633

Señor Member
Oct 28, 2008
soe*
ipz*

Well now, that solves my problem. I could never find like the OMGZ series without searching each number. But looking back at the old search strings I see I was putting the * after a dash. (OMG-*) Why I insisted in using the dash I don't know. Dropping the dash brings up the posts I was looking for.

thisizterry

Jun 14, 2013
What exactly does the asterisk do? I used to be able to search by like file names IE: pgd-670. I'm using this example because i know a thread exists. However, when I type in pgd-670 in the search, it says no matches are found. I tried out the asterisk thing and searched pgd-670* and results came up. Why is it doing this?

mister_happy

Dec 16, 2008
You can use Advanced Search to find Posts, rather than Threads. When you pick Advanced Search there are two tabs at the top: Search Single Content Type & Search Multiple Content Type. The default tab is Search Multiple Content Type. If you pick the Search Single Content Type tab you get different options. One of those options (at the bottom) is Posts -vs- Threads. If you pick Posts then you'll get the search results listed by post. It might be less confusing for people if the Search Single Content Type tab was enabled by default, but I don't know if that is possible.

mister_happy

Dec 16, 2008
In the old forum, I used to be able to perform a search using Japanese characters, such as ロリ or レズ. I could find posts which couldn't be found using English characters. Now it seems that I an unable to search using Japanese characters. Perhaps I just don't know the 'trick'.

manerror

Aug 29, 2012
True :( please fix this, japanese charakters are manatory in a forum like this one, right?

The search function is kinda fucked up, using the advance search wont do me any favors. Also, does anyone know how to access old threads ? thanks.

jugulear

Akiba Citizen
Jan 20, 2012
("Anyone know how to access old threads ?" Are not the old threads there, Manerror? With now missing in-house attachments.)

Well, I came here to ask how to search for posts. I see the very first entry under the Stickys was "How to search for posts." Great, my problem was going to be solved, and I didn't need to write anything. But here I am, writing.

Let's organize this thread, because other questions have evolved. The two subset questions are:

1) How to search for series codes via the prefix of the "DVD" code. Mod IdolFun has apparently attended to that question, in his astoundingly laconic manner, with his "asterisk" solution. (Although I'm not sure if that tackles sorting out posts vs. threads, have not experimented.)

2) Searching with Japanese characters.

All I want to know is: "How to search for posts."

The old system was so headache-free, you may remember the handy box that would appear, giving the choice between "Posts" vs. "Threads." (Sometimes that box still appears, but it depends on its mood. It's got a Southern Belle nature to it now, "Try to catch me if you can, dear suh; tee-hee-hee.")

In defense of the new system, there is one great thing compared to the old: you don't have to wait for a whole minute, between searches.

So there are a lot of idiosyncracies with the new system, if you want to search for posts. Since that box does not always appear, you've now got to click on "Advanced search," no matter what... one extra, time-consuming step.

Yet even when you check "Posts" in Advanced search, you still get threads and not posts, as several members have pointed out. The way around this has then been, for those not in the know, to go to the thread, and use the "Search Thread" function; as Member Rie Kumiko commented, "Too many steps."

So I'm reading this thread, complaint after complaint, and I'm wondering... why is there no solution to this problem?

Finally!!! Member Mister_happy to the rescue. (Thanks, Mister_happy. Thought your moniker meant that you are happy, but now I can see you make others happy.)

The "Search Single Content Type & Search Multiple Content Type" tabs... why, I never noticed them before.

The post seeker must remember to click on the "Search Single Content Type" tab, because it is not the default. So the post seeker has now two additional steps to deal with, clicking on "Advanced Search," and clicking on the "Search Single Content Type" tab.

This is a lot of work to get to posts; if there is any way for the "Search Single Content Type" tab to become the default, it should become the default. (Anyone "in power" reading this... you would be making a big difference by seeing if something can be done to make this a reality.)

However... just when I thought I was on easy street... just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water... I chose the "Search Single Content Type" tab. I made sure "Posts" appeared in the Drop Down menu. I put in the "DVD" code of the movie in the "Keyword(s):" box... and I finally clicked on the "Search Now" button... and...

Still threads, not posts..!!

What th... I knew Mister_happy would not steer me wrong, so then there was only one thing left to do. I mean, this thread has been around for a month-and-a-half, and no one has given concise directions (although Mister_happy's contribution has been the most valuable thus far; thanks again, Mister_happy) as to how to search for posts, so I knew the only way to get to the bottom of the problem was to do the grunt work myself.

So what I did was what I did not do before, I looked, and the answer was to scroll down that "Search Single Content Type" tab - there was more stuff underneath, under "Additional Options." (Not that I didn't look before, to tell you the truth, while struggling with the default "Search Multiple Content Type" tab earlier... but its brief "Additional Options" section did not offer anything of relevance.)

So in the "Search Single Content Type" tab, you've got to go all-l-l the way down to "Show Results as:" and you can see the default is "Threads." You've got to switch that to "Posts."

In other words...

It doesn't matter if "Posts" has been selected in the "Search Type:" section at the top of the "Search Single Content Type" page. You will need to scroll to the bottom and select "Posts" a second time.

In other words...

One needs to go through three whole steps to search for posts: 1. "Advanced Search" 2. "Search Single Content Type" tab, and 3. "Posts" at bottom.

It is mystifying why the planners of the new system that Akiba-Online was forced to incorporate have chosen for users to jump through so many hoops to get to posts, because searching for posts is, for me, the single most important function of searching, more important than searching for threads.

Any ones "in power": would you not be doing everyone a great service if you can do what you can to get the coquettish Posts vs. Threads click box to appear every time the cursor lands in the search box? A one-step search for posts is something everyone would benefit by.

Last edited by a moderator:

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
jugulear, not necessary to do the whole quote

first thing about the Japanese, it is a vbulletin problem, this version does not come with characters as an option, there are a few private sites trying to get a system where it does work,

next problem the * works as wild cards ABC-*, means it will drag every post it finds, and if you are unlucky and it has 4/5 digits, then 10,000+ posts are possible,

ah, but you have problem in finding posts as well, when do your advanced search, you can change the find threads to find posts, and as an option to click less times, you can save new settings on your search,

tags are (link) are wonderful things, they do Japanese characters as well, and it simplifies searching, but alas here is a problem, a lot of posters do not use them, (which is a pity)

TAGScan be found at the bottom of this and every thread, down in the basement, another vbulletin thing, that we have looked into, and trying to change

jugulear

Akiba Citizen
Jan 20, 2012
Thanks, CoolKevin; I had noticed the "Save Search Preferences" thingie at the bottom of the Advanced Search page, but did not bother to investigate further, because my poor brain can handle only so much.

All right; so what we have learned is that the three steps one needs to take in order to search for posts may now be whittled down to two. All one needs to do, once "Posts" is selected beside "Show Results as," is click on "Go" for "Save Search Preferences." Next time, the default will be Posts, and not Threads.

No word on whether the handy Posts and Threads mini-box (that used to automatically show up by the Search box, under the previous system) may be cajoled to similarly appear normally; perhaps it's not technically possible. If this can implemented, it would save so much trouble.

I see the "Tags for this Thread" section that appears at the bottom of each page. The options are "tags," "View Tag Cloud," and the button to "Add / Edit Tags." The only thing I know about tagging is when I tap strangers on the shoulder and cry, "Tag, you're it!" (after which I get strange looks), so perhaps some education is called for, here. Can we get a specific example of how and/or why this section could be of advantage, and what one would need to do to implement it?

EDIT: Hey, I just noticed the tag link CoolKevin had provided. (Now I see there was reason for it to be in red.) I clicked on it, and what we got were keywords... of course, tags. Some threads are tagged with keywords giving an idea of their content, and this gives one the option to find similar fare. (Good only for thread searchers, since posts can't be tagged.) Okay.

Although I'm not sure what those three tag options entail... there is already a box for "Tag" on the Advanced Search page (underneath Keyword and User Name), which means if you wanted to narrow down your search by using a tag, you could put the tag in the box. Oh, I get it... I think. If the reader wanted to put a keyword identifying a particular thread, it would be put in the bottom tag section for each page; thus, "Tags for this Thread." (In other words, I suppose this bottom section is not so much for the benefit of the searcher, but to make life easier for other searchers.) There is simply too much for me to learn, and now I need aspirin.

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
One thing that I noticed about the search engine is that, if you type two or more words (a full name for example), it gives you the results that include any of the words, and not all of the words, which is more what you would like. And it is string-based, so you get even more unwanted results.

If you search for Saori Hara, it will search separatly for the "Saori" string, then for the "Hara" string, and merge the results. But you also get names like "Harada", etc. I suggest to use quotes in that case to exclude some false positive results.

is there a way to limit searches to JAV torrents and exclude JAV Downloads?

in Advanced Search -> Search Single Content Type

http://www.akiba-online.com/search.php?search_type=1

You can select the area in which you want to look for posts, for example JAV Torrents, get the result as posts or threads, and use more filtering options.

Reactions: 2 people