How many of you play physical game consoles or use emulation?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Speeny

Sep 28, 2013
To elaborate on my question, say for example...do you boot up your old PS2? Or do you play an ISO file via an emulator such as the PCSX2? Obviously, for the newer gen consoles, emulation isn't possible as of yet. But for classic consoles like SNES, N64, GBA, DS, etc..do you use emulation, just for the purpose of convenience?

I think emulation is the way of the future in terms of gaming. If people don't have an old box TV which is VGA supported, they'd go to look on the Nintendo Eshop, or PSN, and say.."Hey, there's The Legend of Zelda for the NES" or "Oh, here we have Parasite Eve for the PS1!"

Give me your thoughts anyhow...:p :D

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
I'm a big fan of retro gaming. Emulators have there pros. E.g. you can save your state whenever you want and continue there. But playing the original console offers a lot more you ever will get from an emulator. I also bought adapters which I can use to plug the old controllers to my PC and use them in the emulator. But it's not the same. :( But I have to admit that I played a few games - also I own the original one - on an emulator. ;)

Up until now I didn't have any problems connecting my old consoles with my TV. The only problems are e.g. the light-guns which only work with CRT TVs. :( Therefore I have still a CRT TV somewhere . :D

Speeny

Sep 28, 2013
I'm a big fan of retro gaming. Emulators have there pros. E.g. you can save your state whenever you want and continue there. But playing the original console offers a lot more you ever will get from an emulator. I also bought adapters which I can use to plug the old controllers to my PC and use them in the emulator. But it's not the same. :( But I have to admit that I played a few games - also I own the original one - on an emulator. ;)

Up until now I didn't have any problems connecting my old consoles with my TV. The only problems are e.g. the light-guns which only work with CRT TVs. :( Therefore I have still a CRT TV somewhere . :D

I've mainly been using the PCSX2 to play classics such as a few of the Final Fantasy games..and the occasional JRPG here and there. If I had the time and money to invest in physical consoles, of course I would! Nothing better than the old days. I just feel as if technology is growing so rapidly, that children of this generation won't look back and have that nostalgic feeling along the lines of: "Oh man, remember when we went to your grandmothers place that summer, and we played Super Mario RPG down in the basement?" Aaaah, if I could re-live something like that...I would! :p

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
All the consoles I ever had are gone.So I use emulators and a wireless xbox 360 controller to play classic games on my pc. As far as I know I can play everything up to Nintendo wii. Its a shame there is not a PS vita shapped netbook/laptop that emulators and roms can be loaded on.

Reactions: Speeny