How come not every JAV has an HD release?

bakaforever

Dec 5, 2009
I'm a collector of JAV but I limit myself to only downloading HD ones (720p minimum). There are certain girls that I collect on so I try to collect all their videos. However, I'm running into the problem where I can only find the SD version and not the HD version. What's the reason for this? Shouldn't all modern JAV be filmed in a high resolution and thus be able to be ripped into both an SD and HD version? Also, can someone explain about ISO? ISO is supposed to be like a straight rip from the DVD right? But alot of times the ISO has the same resolution as the SD version, and not the HD quality that I'm looking for. Is this taken as evidence that that particular title was filmed that way and there's no way of getting an HD version of it? This might be very common sense question but I'm not too knowledgeable in the area ;^_^

Inertia

Akiba Citizen
Apr 2, 2015
Most studios now are at the very least filming in HD resolution, but may still only be releasing physical media in SD quality. I know two that have been filming in HD since 2009, but only started pushing out HD titles (instead of downscaled to SD HDV titles) just a few years back.

As for why there aren't illegal HD rips floating around? Uploaders simply don't have access to them since most are probably just ripping from the production DVD.

bakaforever

Dec 5, 2009
Cause I want to collect all the films of certain girls in HD, so I was thinking of actually buying the DVD's and then ripping the HD video from it. But what you're saying is that if there is no HD version released on the internet already, then it means the DVD doesn't have HD quality so me buying the DVD's would be futile for my mission? Does the quality change within a specific label? Because from just logical thinking, if there are HD releases in a certain label like say SNIS, then it should be assumed that all recent SNIS films are able to be ripped in HD right? For example, I'm trying to collect Natsu Kimino's HD vids and almost all of her films are released under the label MXGS and I've been able to get the HD versions for her older films, but like the 3 most recent ones there haven't been one in sight. There was an ISO version but that looked like the same quality as an SD version.

Supmop

Akiba Citizen
Oct 23, 2012
Cause I want to collect all the films of certain girls in HD, so I was thinking of actually buying the DVD's and then ripping the HD video from it. But what you're saying is that if there is no HD version released on the internet already, then it means the DVD doesn't have HD quality so me buying the DVD's would be futile for my mission? Does the quality change within a specific label? Because from just logical thinking, if there are HD releases in a certain label like say SNIS, then it should be assumed that all recent SNIS films are able to be ripped in HD right? For example, I'm trying to collect Natsu Kimino's HD vids and almost all of her films are released under the label MXGS and I've been able to get the HD versions for her older films, but like the 3 most recent ones there haven't been one in sight. There was an ISO version but that looked like the same quality as an SD version.

if you want to get HD quality don't buy dvd but buy blu ray

or buy online from dmm, usually they have the HD videos option (with more expensive price)

Reactions: Blade Runner

supersam

Loves Bukkake, Loves Long Tongues & Loves Gokkun!!
Jul 13, 2009
I'm a collector of JAV but I limit myself to only downloading HD ones (720p minimum). There are certain girls that I collect on so I try to collect all their videos. However, I'm running into the problem where I can only find the SD version and not the HD version. What's the reason for this? Shouldn't all modern JAV be filmed in a high resolution and thus be able to be ripped into both an SD and HD version? Also, can someone explain about ISO? ISO is supposed to be like a straight rip from the DVD right? But alot of times the ISO has the same resolution as the SD version, and not the HD quality that I'm looking for. Is this taken as evidence that that particular title was filmed that way and there's no way of getting an HD version of it? This might be very common sense question but I'm not too knowledgeable in the area ;^_^

ISO rip of a studio DVD will always be SD. As mentioned you'd need the blu ray for HD video.

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
ISO rip of a studio DVD will always be SD. As mentioned you'd need the blu ray for HD video.
It's So Obvious!

..sorry baka, couldn't resist
:hehe:

Inertia

Akiba Citizen
Apr 2, 2015
Encoding a HDV-filmed DVD in HD resolution would not look as good as an HD master rip. It may look better than a upscaled SD title, but not by much.

Some studios may only sell physical media in DVDs, but have HD for digital download online though some big VOD sites use questionable encoding (3000kbps for an Full HD is probably not good enough) so you may not get that crystal clear artifact-free picture you're yearning for.

Reactions: Casshern2

bakaforever

Dec 5, 2009
Ah I see now... So where is a good site to buy HD jav? I found a site called r18, is that a good one? All I wanna buy is the HD digital release. But if they only have physical bluray disks that I'm down for that too.

Reactions: Casshern2

supersam

Loves Bukkake, Loves Long Tongues & Loves Gokkun!!
Jul 13, 2009
Ah I see now... So where is a good site to buy HD jav? I found a site called r18, is that a good one? All I wanna buy is the HD digital release. But if they only have physical bluray disks that I'm down for that too.

You can use R18 and DMM :)

Reactions: Supmop