1. Throughout the month of Febrary, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 28th February, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

Top prize is $150!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Hey, where do you guys store your videos ?

Discussion in 'Chatterbox' started by Illmac, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Casshern2

Casshern2 Senior Member...I think

Just lost my #6 drive. The newer of the bunch! 436 titles. Spins and chirps at the same rhythm. Happened when I was copying files to it.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  2. javconnoisseur

javconnoisseur New Member

How often were you using your #6 drive?

I have mine running on external 8x exclosure only when I'm copying files over when my internal is full and only turned on when I'm in the mood of viewing
  3. WillEater

WillEater Well-Known Member

Hard drives have become the volume "loss leader" in many retail outlets.
    When I buy, I check the date on the drive that starts the warranty period.
    Why? you ask, well when the drive has been on the shelf in a warehouse for two years, it goes on sale at a reduced price.
    In addition, mfgrs rate the drives for different service,
    Drives that run at 5400 rpm are rated "Consumer", drives at 6000 are "Performance".
    Then we have NAS rated drives, used in that NAS box you just spend coin for. (That's why they are pricy.
    The wise man will RTFM..
  4. WillEater

Next, I wish to discuss "Bit Rot" for DVD and Blew-ray. (Pun intended.)
    Check out some information here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/cds-truth-cddvd-longevity-mold-rot/

5. Casshern2

That was my exact same behavior. I've heard that keeping it spinning keeps alive longer, but then others do what we do...only turn them on when we need them. The theory (or fact?) is that the wear and tear occurs when the disk is spinning up? Not too sure...but there it went. :(
  6. javconnoisseur

Well...I just booted up my first 2006 external 500GB drive and it was still working fine. Though I'm planning to copy all it's content to a newer drive before anything goes wrong
    Casshern2 likes this.
  7. javconnoisseur

well fuck the drive just died and wouldn't boot again HAHA
  8. Casshern2

Oh no!! Pry it out of the casing and try a docking station. If you're lucky it is only the USB interface hardware that's dead and it will spin up on a dock.
  9. ether202

ether202 loli enthusiast

Really wish this was an option as it would solve so many problems be it portability or having backup, etc but I just don't have the bandwidth for that..
  10. javconnoisseur

I heard triple ticks everytime I boot it up, also it's IDE so I'll be ordering a IDE toaster to try and save the data
  11. Casshern2

Yikes. Good luck, my friend!
  12. WillEater

No offense, but how did you get an IDE drive? WOW..
  13. javconnoisseur

I had it since 2008 or so
    Casshern2 likes this.
  14. wantek

wantek New Member

external drive only.