Handbrake ripping options for ISO IMBDs or general ripping options

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

nlo

May 1, 2010
Please tell me if my ripping options can be improved (reply or PM me). I had this in my sig for a few months, hope someone can help.

nlo

May 1, 2010

pikuseru

Jul 27, 2015
If this is a preset, I don't have it.

It's in the Video tab, in the fourth screenshot. It's right under x264 Preset and above H.264 Profile.

x264 Tune has multiple options: None, FIlm, Grain, Animation, Still Image, and so on. You should be using "Film" most of the time.

Reactions: nlo

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
The easiest way to improve quality is to increase the x264 preset slider(in the video tab, same place as the x264 tune option mentionned) to very slow instead of leaving it to medium, the filesize will be a lot lower and the for roughly the same quality(since you set constant quality).

After that, you can the lower the RF setting is set to. The lower that number is, the better it'll look(but the bigger it'll be). I personally like to use 18 there.

I'd also check constant framerate instead of variable since I don't like having variable framerate because it makes some aspect of playback harder if you care about trying to sync it to refresh rates, but that won't change much.

What I would suggest if you're not married to handbrake and are using windows is to use MeguIVit. It was made for exactly your purpose in mind and to be very easy to use.
I repacked it since the original version had issues with windows versions newer than XP and stopped working entirely after a windows patch on some systems. You can find it there: https://www.akiba-online.com/thread...d-encoder-v1-0-1-1.73866/page-51#post-3167139

pikuseru

Jul 27, 2015
For x264 Preset I always use "Slow". But that's all I have ever used so I can't compare to "Medium" or "Very Slow". I just wanted something better than average.

You will find some analysis of x264 Presets here: https://mattgadient.com/2014/01/06/handbrake-rf-slower-speeds-craziness/

And here: http://www.videoquality.pl/preset-settings-x264-quality-compression-speed-test/

It seems like presets above "Very Fast" should definitely be avoided, and there are diminishing returns below "Slower". Apparently, "Slow" requires 2x the time as "Medium" and "VerySlow" around 8x (!!!). You should choose slowest possible preset that you can stand, but it seems like "Slow" and especially "Slower" are the best. My CPU is kinda old (Phenom II 945 3.0GHz) so I will stick with "Slow" for now.