Encoding assistance for corrupted JAV DVD-ISO [Warning: 18+ content]

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

branbran726

Nov 5, 2021
I've acquired a few old copied DVDs that came with corrupted segments that make ripping them difficult. I'm not an expert with Handbrake or MeGUI, so I don't know if there's some way to skip over the broken bits. Playing the DVDs directly has the same result as playing a mounted ISO, so I don't think I can improve the sources beyond what I've got.

The DVDs will usually play until the corruption and freeze, but if you skip to a chapter in the DVD on the other side of the corruption they will continue to play without further issue.

I would love it if someone with greater skill could take a look and produce good rips of them.

For now, here is one of the affected DVDs that I've already put on Filejoker. If there's someone willing to assist, I may upload other DVDs I've had issues with.

DV-383 My copy has an error just over 1h51m in. Handbrake will encode to that point and quit. I just started using MeGUI, so I could be messing it up, but trying to follow the same procedure I've been successful with on other DVDs gave me an error of "too many pictures", whatever that means.
53dv383pl.jpg
DV-383.zip.001 (900.0 Mb)
DV-383.zip.002 (900.0 Mb)
DV-383.zip.003 (900.0 Mb)
DV-383.zip.004 (770.8 Mb)

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
If it can read it or not is going to depend which source filter you're using to decode the video. I don't remember if that's something you can change in handbrake but you should be able to in megui since it uses avisynth.

If it can skip over the corrupted parts when you play it normally, then directshowsource should be able to just ignore them when encoding too, but doesn't sounds like they play properly so trying others might do a better job, unless you manually cut out the corrupted parts. It's been a while since I've had to encode corrupted stuff so I don't remember which can actually get past it but I'll download the iso(which is going to take minimum 4 days with my free account) and take a look.

Reactions: branbran726

branbran726

Nov 5, 2021
I had reason to put the DVD-ISO on a different file server, so here it is in case this helps anyone else:

https://1fichier.com/?u11aulxtzlq8qls6s1zb

I understand that link won't last very long.

It's also the complete file instead of a split archive because I don't remember the settings I used to split it in the first place, and so could not make new files that were interchangeable. o_O

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
Much faster getting it that way and splitting it again would make different files anyway, even if you use exactly the same settings.

Seems the issue with that one is that it's missing the last 260MB of the iso. Gonna have a look after work to see if I can make it ignore the missing part for the video and not just the audio.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
It seems that the data from 1h51m is corrupted.
Anyway, up to that point, it can be encoded like this.
Not very helpful if you don't actually explain how to do it, which in handbrake would be changing the range from chapters to seconds and setting the end to right before you get an error so around 1h51m.

You can also demux the video and audio from the vob files into a m2v video file and mpa audio file and use those as input with a source filter(assuming you have control over that) that supports corruption since more filters support those type of files than the vob ones.

Don't know how to do it with gui software since I use avisynth+ and command line apps for encoding, but that requires a bit more learning. MeGUI does support avisynth avs files as input though so that would allow you more control without using the command line, just gotta install the right plugins into avisynth.

For example I used the following avisynth script(doubleweave is a terrible deinterlacer so don't actually use that for a final video) to encode mostly the corrupted part of the video(not that you can see anything interesting since there's nothing there in the source):
Code:
Vid1 = FFVideoSource("K:\_2enc_\_ISO\DV-383\DV-383.m2v")
Aud1 = NicMPG123Source("K:\_2enc_\_ISO\DV-383\DV-383.mpa")
Mov1 = AudioDub(Vid1, Aud1)
Mov1

DoubleWeave()

Crop(4, 12, -4, -12, true)

Trim(398750,434032)

Which gives this as a result: https://1fichier.com/?fb6r1c79j1yzmn88cchv

Cutting the corrupted parts is usually a better idea though unless it's minor corruption since due to how video encoding works, the artifacts created by that corruption can linger on the good portion of the video. What's best all depends on the source and how to do it depends on the app your using. search for how to trim a video with the specific app you wanna use. handbrake isn't really a video editor so I'm not sure if you can do multiple cuts and then join them back into 1 in a good way.
With avisynth, you just chain trims(I'm using frame numbers for them, not time) like this: Trim(1000,3000)+Trim(398750,434032)

Last edited:

SAM

Jun 2, 2007
Not very helpful if you don't actually explain how to do it, which in handbrake would be changing the range from chapters to seconds and setting the end to right before you get an error so around 1h51m.
Oh sorry. I used Staxrip (Demuxer: DGIndex, Deinterlacer: QTGMC).
I dragged and dropped the VOB files, started the process, and it encoded to the point of breakage.