Hana-Hook, my investigation and a theory (for Hana-Hook fans)

blah13

Mar 22, 2010
So Hana-Hooks is one of the hentai artists who I really like. I was thinking about the fact that Ive not seen anything new from Hana-Hook in a long time. There was a time where every new release was exciting because I knew that just as Im a fan of Hana-Hook so is the JAV director Kitorune Kawaguchi and that not too long after the release of the new doujin the live action adaptation would soon follow. Always exciting to me as these two combined have always produced the best hentai to JAV adaptations of all time IMO. The adapatations of this artist by this director have produced the following JAV-

URE-011
ure011pl.jpg

1.jpg

URE-014
ure014pl.jpg

1.jpg

URE-019
ure019pl.jpg

1.png

URE-030
ure030pl.jpg

1.jpg

As you can see its been a while since any more of these were made by the Ure Komi label, which are all directed by Kitorune Kawaguchi. All the more recent titles are adaptations of other artists work. Not a bad thing but they lack that intensity of Hana-Hooks stories and are placid in comparison.

I happen to follow Hana-Hook on Pixiv and even Pixiv there havent been new posts for a while. Turns out even on the official website the last post dates back to 2014. So I did a bit of light digging and somehow ended up finding this twitter conversation.
https://twitter.com/anonspore/status/236874882695188480?lang=en
Interestingly if their conversation is to be believed Hana-Hook is not a he but a she, for whatever reason I had always Imagined a guy producing these gloriously depraved stories(which says something about pre-concieved notions). Out of the two links provided the NSFW link takes you to Hana-Hooks offcial website and the other one doesnt work. The link however does say Doki Doki. So a quick google search revealed it to be the name of a visual novel called Doki Doki Literature club, which interestingly enough has a female illustrator. One image search later I ended up looking at a host of images like this one-
1*-_pkBlUircBc2Mp2z4_d3g.png

To my eyes there is definately a similarity in style and treatment, but it was on looking at the artists rough sketches and looking at some of the rough sketches on Hana-Hooks pixiv that I realized that it is possible that these two are possibly the same. This isnt concrete evidence but just speculation based on some light digging that Ive done. As far as opinion, Im starting to believe that they are one and the same.

This to me explains why Hana-Hook is now more or less retired. It makes me sad but also happy to see an artist who has given me a lot of stuff that Ive enjoyed finding even more success in another more "legitamate" field.

UPDATE-

So as @LimeLemon pointed out I goofed up. It was the artist behind the Manga Bamora! and not Doki-Doki that is Hana-Hook. I think the images from Bamora! speak for themselves.
1.jpg
1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: broadbandz

blah13

Mar 22, 2010
She was the mangaka of a football(soccer) manga and people found out, she got a bit of blow-back from that and seemed to have "retired", though the art from that VN doesn't exactly scream "Hana Hook/Yoshi Milk" Here is her sports manga. Also Doki Doki Literature Club is made by western developers if I recall correctly.

https://myanimelist.net/manga/25364/Bamora

@LimeLemon Looks like you are right. The artist you linked to has work that's identical to Hana-Hook. Seems like I was duped from the get go. The reason I thought this was because the artist I thought was her had rough sketches that look very similar to Hana-Hooks rough sketches. But one look at the manga you've linked to and its clear I was wrong. As far as Doki Doki I think its the writer who's a westerner who reached out(over the internet) to an artist to help him make it. There was a video on youtube talking about this which also factored in leading my "investigation" astray. Looks like I should have just asked you to begin with since my first post on akiba-online was a response to your thread and was about Hana-Hook. Also to clarify when you say she retired, do you mean from legit manga or from hentai? I ask because it seems like the artist who drew the manga you linked to only did one more manga in 2010, but Hana-Hook was active all the way to 2014. Its kinda sad to think that the blow back could have caused her to give up illustrating all together.

@theydonotwantto Ive never read Tanaka Naburi's stuff the artstyle does look interesting. However you should check out some of the other Ure Komi stuff they do adapt a lot of other artists stuff to live action. The most notable being Chuuka Naruto among a few others.

Last edited:
Reactions: LimeLemon

blah13

Mar 22, 2010
I do not know the exact details of how Doki Doki Literature Club was made, so you could be right? Maybe she changed her art-style and is now doing commissions. I do not know how retired she is. All I know is she doesn't make any new hentai or manga anymore. Her last Pixiv update also seemed to have been in 2014, also here is the link: https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?id=1515266
Yeah I follow her profile on pixiv so I know that there havent been updates in a long time. I even messaged her a few months ago, but got no response. I think its a loss for fans of both Hentai and JAV. As far as Hentai goes there arent many artists who Ive liked as much as her, probably none are as good as her IMO. At least in terms of consistency and regular output during her active period.

@LimeLemon I recently discovered a relatively new artist Negurie who seems to have transitioned from more cg styled material to hentai manga. I was wondering if you knew how to find this artists official page or pixiv. I would like to follow him/her and see what kind of stuff Negurie continues to put out from now on. Take a look at Neguries work-
https://hentaifox.com/artist/negurie/

These ones in particular seem like they should be adapted by Kitorune Kawaguchi for Ure Komi and have the potential to fill the void left by the adaptations of Hana-Hooks work.