Good Japanese Food in NYC

SawLo

Sep 5, 2008
Hi I live in nyc and was wondering which Japanese restaurants are good. I've been to Nobu, Massa, East, Sushi Yasuda. Most of these are well known to the public, I wanted to find a nice restaurant that all native Japanese go to?

donaldh

Feb 11, 2008
Try Yakitori Totto on West 55th St. Small 2nd floor restaurant. Always a wait for a table but the wait is worth it. Mostly Japanese clientele.

Darkhaired

Mar 2, 2007
Try Yakitori Taisho or Oh! Taisho, both on St. Mark's Place (8th Street) and 3rd Avenue. My all-time favorites and you feel like you're in Japan, there are so many Japanese there. It's an izakaya and is not a fancy place like your Nobu, but the food is amazing. Order the chicken skin yakitori, ribs, or buta mayo (pork sauteed with mayo) - extremely good.

SawLo

Sep 5, 2008
Ya I go there as well when I was college, but thats too uncomfortable and noisy for me now. I've eaten at Yokocho, Typhoon, Go and all those in st. marks. I just tried the restaurant inside the Kitano hotel, very good. Any more suggestions will be great! Thanks for your input!

calsonic

Jul 25, 2008
I prefer Gyu-kaku and Ippudo. I was in Tokyo for 3 months over the summer and I ate at Ippudo alot.

SawLo

Sep 5, 2008
I tried Ippudo the other day. It was very good. I also tried out Sushi Yasuda, which I think is highly overrated, and Jewel Bako, but still good tho.