Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

HENTAIBEN

The Nesta
May 13, 2007
Looks like the manga IS ending in July. So I guess the question now is... can they keep the anime running until then? Either way, looks like we'll end up with a true ending. That's good. Nice job on their part.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Agreed. I've seen through 55 and I'm pleased but (as mentioned before) disappointed that Xing was brought up as this potentially huge story arc and we're never really going to see it much now.

Concerned for []'s safety at the end of episode 55, but I suppose his/her knowledge of alchemy will make for one hell of an interesting fight against Father.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Watched 56 earlier today, and just finished re-watching it a second time now with my dinner. Excellent episode. I really wish the first bit had been longer since it's exactly what I've been begging for. lol But the second half was much more exciting, I'll admit. Even if I don't like him the same way I enjoyed watching Kimblee, I can't deny that King Bradley is pretty awesome in his own right. I'm still wondering if we're going to find out whether he's the same as Greed or not in that he (King Bradley) has got two personalities stuck inside of the same body: one of them being his former slave self, and the other the identity known as Wrath. It'd be sort of interesting if (somehow) Greed and Wrath were to die but Bradley and Lin were to survive. Maybe a bit too flowery-happy of an ending, lol, but still interesting to see how such a thing could be pulled off.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Episode 59 was .. well, pretty amazing. We've been spoiled with this recent glut of good episodes one after the other. I'm not complaining! Just warning us that we're probably in for a disappointing humdrum in between now and the series finale. Unless, of course, the series finale is < 3 episodes away. lol No clue. Given the sneak peak for Episode 60, I could totally see this ending really soon. But I have no clue when it's supposed to end.

[hide]I feel really bad for Mustang. A, he was basically alchemy-r***ing. B, poor bastard lost his eyes. WTF, that's pretty damn awful of these homonculi. That was such a humiliating way for him to discover that he was blind, too. "Hey, it's so dark in here! Hagane no, how can you see where we are? *trip*" Though ... shouldn't his gut instinct, as the Flame Alchemist, have been to pierce the darkness with his fire? ^^;

The best scene, by far, was the second-to-final scene (or final, depending on how you cut it) with Al and his body. Talk about heart-wrenching. Poor, poor kid. He's been through so much, little tyke, he's not even 16 years old yet, and he's placed in that tortuous position. "Walk away from the body you've been searching for all your life since that horrible day ... or seize your body back but not live to enjoy it." Damn.

Wow, that fugly doctor became 100x more fugly. Eww. Gonna take a while to get that image out of my mind. >_<

Surprised that Pride didn't devour Wrath. He devoured Gluttony for being in the same state as Wrath is, and now that he is Gluttony (or Pride-Gluttony) you'd think he wouldn't have been able to hold back. Even the smallest of excuses to legitimize eating something. Oh well.

If the boys can get their bodies back, hopefully Mustang can get his eyes back. Fuck the future of nation -- he needs to be able to see Hawkeye! ^^; [/romantic sap] Seriously, though: she is too hot to not be seen.[/hide]

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Through Episode 62 ...

The show is getting good and is fast approaching its climactic ending. I've said it before, I'll say it again: way, way better than the first FMA anime.

Although, there is one thing I may be forgetting about Alphonse:
[hide]Why can't he use alchemy to restore his armor body? I understand that his seal is unique, but in Episode 62, the bit of armor with his bloodseal on it was still intact, the hairline cracks only approaching but not quite reaching it. Why can't he clap his hands together and seal the cracks? Why can't he use the Philosopher's Stone lent to him by Heinkel to, I dunno, make his suit into adamantium? I don't get why he had to sacrifice himself.

That stated, I actually didn't question it on the first viewing; and it was incredibly exciting. I can't stand the circus / carnival flavor to the song that plays when he did this, but once the song reaches its dramatic bit with the chamber choir Ooh'ing and Ah'ing, it's really good.

I'm also pretty curious about the grinning "child" inside of the Gate. Is it God? The devil? A mix of both? Is it related to Father? Is Father half-it and half-Hohenheim?

And of course I'm also curious to see how Edward will retrieve Alphonse.

And I'm also curious to learn why, assuming Ed does retrieve Alphonse, it's okay to do that but it's not okay to resurrect others. Not in terms of technicalities (see the above sentence for that interest), but in terms of the morals involved. Why is it okay to resurrect Alphonse and yet not alright for Hohenheim to resurrect Trisha? I mean, he had (prior to this battle) about 500,000+ souls inside of him. You'd think he could have spared a couple to bring her back. Obviously he chose not to. Yet Edward is about to (presumably) choose to resurrect his brother. So ... what's the difference? ^^; It'll be neat to see what the author comes up with for an explanation.[/hide]

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Just finished Episode 63. Pretty darn good. Compared with how a good many animes end, I'll say that this one ended perfectly. It wasn't actually perfect ^^; , but compared with a good many animes ... lol.

Episode 63 pretty much ends the series. Episode 64 (due next week) looks to be an epilogue episode. So the decision is up to you whether you want to hold off for another week before watching 63 or if you want to go ahead and watch it now and then wait a week for the official series finale. I'd recommend not waiting, personally. If you're anything like me, you'll want to re-watch Episode 63 at least one more time in full, and you may as well do that now so that when 64 rolls around you're emotionally ready for it. I feel like if you watched 63 and 64 back-to-back that you wouldn't be able to quit thinking about the events in 63 whilst watching 64. But that's me. You may be different.

gakido

ヒガンバナ
Apr 2, 2007
Sakun and Ben, are you two watching the Eclipse sub? If so I want to ask did you two have any video problem with them (i.e. like transparent spots/squares in OP and during video). I'm trying to figure out if is my computer fault...

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I use VLC as my main and MPlayer only as my backup, so I'm not your man to ask.

If it helps, I do periodically (once every two to three to four episodes) have a problem like audio skipping, audio blips, video artifacts, etc, but these problems are probably on my end only since, upon rewinding the video to before the problem area and re-watching it at normal speed again, the problems are never reproducible.

Also, I did follow the Eclipse releases, yes. Specifically, the h264 releases.

The only team I have trouble with is Chihiro, whose K-ON!! subs I've been following. They use ordered chapters but either they don't know what they're doing or else both VLC and SMPlayer fail at ordered chapters. VLC is exceptionally broken by Chihiro's video files: it can't get past the first chapter and infinitely loops. MPlayer lacks this debilitating problem but still suffers from an inability to load the OP and ED video files into the episodes.

Sort of a mixed blessing, though, really, since K-ON!!'s ending is blah and its opening is atrocious.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I just realized I never cross-posted my thoughts on Episode 64 from where I first penned them!

... And that's it. With the sixty-forth episode aired (Sunday), subbed, and released (Monday), FMA: Brotherhood has come to its natural conclusion.

Of course, the author just had to introduce a new plot line at the last second. ¬_¬

And so we get an inevitable cinematic sequel, already confirmed, which will doubtless explore the search for answers to the most annoying question in the entire franchise imo: "how do you put a chimera back together again?" (Ugggggggggggh, the chimeras were the dumbest part of this show! ¬_¬ Do they really need their own plot line?)

Other than this gripe, and the ultimate identity of the new Führer*, I enjoyed 64 for what it was: an epilogue episode. 63 already dealt with all of the kickass drama as well as the show's major question. 64 was just there for people who would have gone berserk had the series ended with 63. *shrug*

* Spoiler: [hide]It ain't Roy.[/hide]

gakido

ヒガンバナ
Apr 2, 2007
Here are a couple of images of the problem.

This happens a lot in the RAWS, DVDRip, BDRip, and in some of the hentai uploads in the past year. So definitely need to figure out if is my computer fault or if it was just uploaded like that. :/

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Yeah. That phenomenon happens to me on semi-rare occasion. Like ... I can't tell you the last time I saw it. More recently than 30 days ago, but less recently than 7 days ago. If that's any help.

No clue if it's both of our faults (for our respective encounter rates with this glitch) or not, but I would say that if you're seeing it persistently to consider updating your video codecs and/or video player software and/or computer hardware. *super shrug* I'm not a computer techie, though, so ...

... maybe you should ask our guy who is. ;) (Go ask Techie! lol)

gakido

ヒガンバナ
Apr 2, 2007
Thanks for the replied Sakun, I finally figured it out!~ Damn CoreAVC >_<; it was causing the pixelation...fixed it by downloading the version 2.0. Man...I thought It was my computer fault all this time (a year lol) and because of that I deleted a lot of videos that I wanted to kept too. blah!~

HENTAIBEN

The Nesta
May 13, 2007
Oh man, I have been so busy the past couple months that I had totally stopped watching FMA at all. As you might have gathered by this point. Either that or I become a lot less talkative, lol. Anyways, I finally buckled down and finished watching the last 7 or so episodes that I hadn't seen, finishing up the series.

A little late, but, thoughts...

[hide]Things get pretty crazy there in the end. First Mustang loses his eye sight, which really sucked. I know Sakun commented on it a while back, and I pretty much felt the same thing when it happened. For the entire rest of the series I was hoping they'd find some way to restore his sight, luckily they do at the very end (or so we are lead to believe).

Then pretty much everyone in the country dies and Father calls down God and absorbs him into himself. At this point I was really wondering just what the fuck the sacrifices were supposed to do against a god. Luckily our heroes had setup few tricks of their own. I really don't know what else they could have done to make it so that Ed and all don't die to a fucking mini sun at that point, so I'm just accepting it and moving on.

Oh yeah, of course there is some great moments with Al during these last few episodes. The first one being when he finally gets back to his body, but instead decides to stay in his armor in order to help his friends fight. A very powerful scene. And then Al sacrificing himself to restore Ed's arm. I know Sakun took issue with this part, but I thought it was pretty awesome, and the resulting ass-whooping Ed lays down on Father is awesome. And then again later on, he finally, FINALLY gets his body back and this makes for quite a few heartwarming scenes. My favorite being Winnry walking out the door and finally seeing the Brothers have their bodies back. I almost cried, seriously.

There was plenty of other stuff in there I was going to talk about. Like the fact that I'm annoyed Mustang isn't the Fuhrer. Or that I think another Season would be kind of lame at this point. But as it is, I was already late to the party on all of this. So I'll shut up for now, and just say that I thought this was a pretty amazing series. One of my favorite Shonen shows at this point for sure. And I'm glad we were able to carry on conversations about the show for a good while there Sakun, even if I flaked out at the end.[/hide]

Good times.

sapientiam

Jan 1, 2010
somehow i think while the remake follows the manga storyline faithfully, hence in my opinion, a better plot than the first... its just seems to me that the Father died so easily.. not epic enough ROFL :exhausted:

anyway if any of u guys having problem playing this and you are using windows, i reccomend you try K-lite codec pack, since i installed them i never had, not even once, any file that i can't play, and the included media player is much lighter than using windows media player, mac users probably gotta stick to VLC thou

SJDA

Akiba Citizen
Aug 4, 2010
I never read the manga , but watched the original and fell in love with it. :exhausted:

sapientiam

Jan 1, 2010
you should watch the second one, if u like the first, you will go nuts much more LOL