Finally going again.

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

vincent_z

Low Angler
Nov 27, 2007
I finally get to go back to Japan. Year 2013 was horrid as far as turning up an airfare deal from Chicago to Tokyo. The lowest airfare seemingly always required a connection in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. If you know something about what I typically bring back from Japan; I refused to have to submit to Canadian Customs. :stress:
My travel bot was renewed. I scrunched the prospective visit period to April. In May, summer airfares click on. They're higher. Japan's transportation agency declined to issue additional landing permissions at Tokyo Haneda Airport [HND] to North American carriers; giving the slots temporarily (until October) to tour operators. What finally cracked the airfare barrier was the decision of the U. S. Department of Justice to allow the merger of U. S. Airways with American Airlines. This brought additional capacity on not only those airlines, but other members of OneWorld®, American's affiliate network.
My flexible date search was initially 9 - 23 April. One aspect which I expected to remain was that the lowest-cost flights would be on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday (from the U.S.A.). I was amendable to taking a one-stop to Tokyo, as long as that stop was in the U.S.A. If that connecting flight was to HND; that would be a 'plus' in my book. But I was (and remain) hostile to a returning flight requiring a connection somewhere on the U.S. west coast. {The nightmare scenario involving U.S. Customs tearing through my carry-on, finding nothing improper or undeclared; but requiring me to take another 30 minutes restoring my bag to portable shape; hauling it through the terminal to my departure gate; learning that there was no more room for my carry-on on the connecting flight; and the airline wanting another $50 to check it. So much for the savings on a one-stop flight. :irate:}
The bot was triggered by Google.com/flights; not Kayak or Vayama. It turned up non-stop flights from O'Hare to Narita [ORD-NRT] on American Airlines aircraft, but codeshared out to Malaysia Airlines, a carrier I had not known was part of OneWorld. The dates it offered were Sunday, 13 April to Saturday, 26 April. The winning airfare: $1075.20. I pounced. The flights are MAS 9389 & MAS 9426 (AAL 153 & AAL 154). (I continue to monitor the airfare. Where I booked has the facility of matching a lower airfare within 30 days of booking. This $1075.20 fare is still available if you can stay an additional two days until the 28th.)
This is so far in advance that I can't submit an inquiry to the hostel in Yokohama where I would prefer to stay. He requests that people ask only one month or so ahead.
For this trip, I will probably explore more of Kanagawa Prefecture, particularly the Miura Peninsula. Keikyu offers a one-day special ticket for the area for ¥1400 from Yokohama Station. There will also be excursions into photography, ramen, craftbeer, as well as you-know-what (rhymes with "ehh-seez"). Wish me success. :bigthumbs:

vincent_z

Low Angler
Nov 27, 2007
Whew. No responses. OK.
On this personae, I can admit to more details.
My flight is actually American Airlines flight 153. I've been on this flight before. I have a slight snag in that I prefer terminal 1 to terminal 2. (Picture me with my mostly-empty carryon getting on the Keisei Main Line train. At terminal 1, I can pick out a car and a rack on which to load my carryon. At terminal 2, I have to hustle aboard the car, and swiftly find an area of that car on which to place my carryon on the overhead rack.)
But I'll get through this. To save money, and because when I arrive at NRT, I will pay for the Main Line route through to Yokohama (Yen 1450) (It appears that the train I'll catch will be one of the few which actually runs through from NRT to HND; but I need to ride further.). So I'll ride that from NRT to Sengakuji, which is where the Keikyū Main Line train begins its downward run to Misakiguchi. That train will be a Limited Express to Yokohama. :D
When it gets to Yokohama, I will then have to transfer to a JR train to get to Ishikawacho. (150 yen) There, I'll go out the north exit. I need to walk west to Yokohama Hostel Village. It'll probably put me on the 5th floor. OK, but this will be the most strenuous climb. {Going downstairs with a loaded carry-on should be easier.}
If you want to meet me (and you should), you can send me a PM here. I will check-in here during the 12 days I'm in Tokyo/Yokohama. (If, for nothing else, to relate where are the shops where I found cheap JAVs.)
Against my better advice, I will allow to participating in Flyertalk's Japan Do! functions over the weekend of 19-20 April. But that is under my real world identity, so do not make an issue of it, OK?

tylersailer

Jan 24, 2011
Safe trip mate. Kinda difficult to read your travel plan, maybe because one has to know the real geographical knowledge and some travel tips in Japan. Or maybe because I cannot get my eyes off from your avatar.

From NRT to HND, as you mentioned, there are not many DIRECT trains. So you better not miss your schedule. Or you can transfer at some point, which will be extra hustle for you anyway. Do not get mixed with JR and Keisei Line. Well I guess you know too well.

Good luck (especially with your special souvenir) and share some awesome photos with us!

vincent_z

Low Angler
Nov 27, 2007
Hyperdia is enthralling.

Safe trip mate. Kinda difficult to read your travel plan, maybe because one has to know the real geographical knowledge and some travel tips in Japan. Or maybe because I cannot get my eyes off from your avatar.
From NRT to HND, as you mentioned, there are not many DIRECT trains. So you better not miss your schedule. Or you can transfer at some point, which will be extra hustle for you anyway. Do not get mixed with JR and Keisei Line. Well I guess you know too well.
Good luck (especially with your special souvenir) and share some awesome photos with us!
Thank you for the kind response, Tyler.
I don't know if I mentioned here that this is my 10th time to Tokyo/Yokohama (since 2005). There have been a lot of key paradigm shifts during this span. The one I push to would-be visitors to the area is that you don't need to sacrifice yourself to JR in order to traverse the region. The fare has gone up by 50 yen. But that will still be lower than in 2012, when I sublimated myself to the one-train ride from NRT to Yokohama via the Sky Access route. Inspect the schedule on Hyperdia: You can probably find the one-transfer run on Keikyu / Toei / Keisei from Yokohama to Narita with the transfer at Aoto, which is one of the easiest, if not the, train transfer in the region.
I may adapt to obtain more JAVs with the content that Japanese-based purveyors {think J-List et alia} would not offer to an overseas audience rather than JAVs with the longest playing time. (A 4-hour JAV takes time to view, even with judicious fast-forwarding.)
I also intend to hook-up with Aquamarine during this trip. I hope there is not an earthquake/aftershock for him to duck out of the potentiality.

gold_og_roger

Jul 1, 2014
Hope you had a great trip man. I'm planning my trip for September 2014. Hoping to see be there for the Tokyo Game show.