FIFA Club World Cup Japan 2011

vincent_z

Low Angler
Nov 27, 2007
I've been credentialled by FIFA into this year's edition of the above tournament. :yahoo:
It is back in Japan after two years (2009 & 2010) of being contested in the United Arab Emirates.
However, one thing FIFA has done which I think is a backward move is to migrate all the games which had been hosted in Tokyo to Toyota City. In the prior years of it being held in Japan, only one match was played in Toyota. I never got to Toyota. I consider that the equivalent of hosting a soccer tournament in Chicago, but having one match in Ann Arbor, MI. :distressed:
But this year, I'll have to go there to cover the match involving Monterrey [MEX] of CONCACAF.
Instead of staying of Tokyo, and travelling to Yokohama {that hasn't changed ~ the 2nd semi-final and the Final are still at Nissan Stadium in Yokohama}; I'm going to stay in Yokohama, and travel sparingly to Toyota (which is closer to Nagoya, if you can't find it on the map).
The larger problem I have is finding an inexpensive flight to Tokyo from Chicago.
They don't seem to exist now. :miserable:
Vayama wants to route me through Toronto, Canada. There is no way I want Canadian Customs to root through my bag on my return - take out the JAVs which it doesn't like :)sadomaso:), and then notify U.S. Customs that it should really inspect me when I arrive there. :death:
It looks like I'm going to have to change planes on at least one leg. A slight advantage to changing planes is that the flights involving Japan could arrive | depart at Haneda Airport [HND]. I've never flown into Haneda; but people have described it as Tokyo's parallel to Chicago's Midway Airport.
The dates I am looking at are: Outbound = 3, 5, 6 December. Inbound = 19, 20 December.
Anybody here have any other World-Wide Websites I should check to try and get a slightly-less-expensive flight there?
The other sites I've checked include Kayak, BookingBuddy, Orbitz, Priceline, Expedia, JTB-USA, Yapta, and Travelocity.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
With Haneda, unless you're leaving it via an international flight, all you need to do is 'swipe' your ticket the exact same way you would a monthly train-ticket. No ID, no nothing. Just 'pipi' and you're through the gate. Kinda awesome.

vincent_z

Low Angler
Nov 27, 2007
I booked flights.

I don't think airfares are going to decrease any time in the next two weeks. I even think whoever does the seat capacity calculations will be off for Thanksgiving {U.S.} this upcoming week.
I went and booked my flights. Here they are:
  • Sat., 3 December: UA 839 ORD-LAX Dep. 19:12 - Arr. 21:37 [GMT - 8]
  • {Actually an ANA Flight} UA 9721 LAX-HND Dep. 00:10 (+1) - Arr. 05:15 (+2) [GMT + 9]
  • Tue., 20 December: UA 882 NRT-ORD Dep. 18:10 - Arr. 14:27 [GMT - 6].
I'm looking at a couple of hostels in Yokohama, near either the main train station, or Chinatown.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Consider staying at the Grand Intercontinental Hotel, Sakuragicho (Yokohama). It's... how can I put it... FUCKING AWESOME.

vincent_z

Low Angler
Nov 27, 2007
Hotel recommendation

Consider staying at the Grand Intercontinental Hotel, Sakuragicho (Yokohama). It's... how can I put it... FUCKING AWESOME.
Thank you for the recommendation, Aquamarine. But the venue where I want to stay will charge ¥13,000 a week. That's more within my budget, which has already been expanded by my having to accept a one-stop flight into Tokyo.
FIFA offered me the Shin-Yokohama Prince Hotel, which was also too pricey. It will cost me ¥160 to take a train from Yokohama to Shin-Yokohama, which is from where the media bus to Toyota will depart.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
So you're coming here... and whoever contracted you isn't paying your expenses?

S'cuse me? Sorry but what kind of shit-tacular rag of a newspaper/BLOG are you doing this for? I sure as hell hope it's ONLY for personal experience otherwise I'd be fucking outraged by this.

vincent_z

Low Angler
Nov 27, 2007
Aqua, pretty much all of the print publications where my articles appeared have bit the dust since 2005, when I began covering this tournament.
Therefore, when I come here to cover it, I do it as cheaply as possible lest the U.S. Internal Revenue Service think about questioning my deductions.
I'm not covering this tournament to profit from it. I basically need an excuse to be in Japan for an extended period of time to shop for the jaw-dropping JAVs which nobody wants to make available outside the country. {Hint: Attackers R2s}
I don't expect anybody else to pay my way.
So having stated that, let me tell all of you that I will be back in Yokohama | Tokyo next week to cover this year's tournament. :yahoo:
If you're in cosmopolitan Tokyo, you may send me a PM if you have any personal advice for assisting me.
One more thing. I will be eating more ramen, and finishing nights at Japanese craft beer bars, so that's another possibility.