Error Made in Merger of Threads

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Someone on the staff has decided to merge and/or splice threads together which offer the same magazine, comic, movie file, etc. While this may benefit the community in the long run, there are some kinks which need to be worked out. Kinks I'm not sure the staff member who is doing this is aware even exist.

Before you read on, I suggest opening these two threads and keeping them on hand. You'll want to refer to them:
Thread #1
Thread #2

I signed in today for the first time in a few days. I was notified that there was a new post in one of my subscribed threads. It was a thread I made several years ago. My title, my tags. I click on it. There are my tags. I know them anywhere: they're in English and in Japanese and focus on fetish keywords which I handpicked. These are my tags. Despite this, this is not my thread. In fact, not one single post in this thread is made by me!

So I decide to conduct a search manually for the thread I wrote way back when. And I find it right here. However, imagine my pissed-off surprise when I discover that the thread I made is now tagless! LMAO That's right: even though I'm the one who thought up the tags in the first place, even though I'm the one who wrote the tags and added them to my thread, my thread is now tagless and instead some complete stranger's thread is the one which has them!

So, here are the problems:

1. I shouldn't be getting notified of new replies to threads I've never ever clicked on before. For some reason, Akiba thought I was subscribed to this thread. Why? Because it's (OBVIOUSLY) ripped from my original thread since it (a) has the exact same title and (b) stole my tags. This makes me think it's a mod's hand at work, i.e. somebody tried to split and/or merge threads together and this is the result. :|

2. Threads which are going to be left alone in the end (like my thread I linked you to) shouldn't be stripped of their tags. That's just not right. If I go to the trouble of making the tags, by all means, copy them, I don't care, but it's not right to just MOVE them and make it look like I'm the jackass who doesn't care about his audience, creating a thread that has no tags because I'm either too lazy or too stupid to be bothered to come up with some for them. No. That's not right.

3. If you're going to merge threads together which offer the same content, either merge ALL of them together or else merge NONE of them together. I know that this is a recent work-in-progress, but I have trouble believing that the mods had yet to find my thread because I know they must have, seeing as my thread's been stripped of its original tags and this new thread has them; and also seeing as Akiba-Online's Thread Subscription service seemed to mistake my thread (to which I was subscribed) for the new thread (which could only happen if they shared some sort of ID in the A-O database, and that could only happen if a mod cloned, spliced, etc. data from my thread into that other thread, i.e. they MUST have known my thread existed, and yet they still decided against merging it with the other stuff).

IdolFun

★ ☆ I Am God ☆★
Super Moderator
Oct 16, 2007
1. I shouldn't be getting notified of new replies to threads I've never ever clicked on before. For some reason, Akiba thought I was subscribed to this thread. Why? Because it's (OBVIOUSLY) ripped from my original thread since it (a) has the exact same title and (b) stole my tags. This makes me think it's a mod's hand at work, i.e. somebody tried to split and/or merge threads together and this is the result. :|

The threads wear merge and then it was notice yours was for a torrent file and was split to it own thread.

2. Threads which are going to be left alone in the end (like my thread I linked you to) shouldn't be stripped of their tags. That's just not right. If I go to the trouble of making the tags, by all means, copy them, I don't care, but it's not right to just MOVE them and make it look like I'm the jackass who doesn't care about his audience, creating a thread that has no tags because I'm either too lazy or too stupid to be bothered to come up with some for them. No. That's not right.

When posts get split tags don't get transferred to the new thread.
I guess they wear not notice to be missing form your thread then.
-----------

Mods are always learning how vBulletin works and sometimes we can make mistakes.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Orig post has a nasty tone. I apologize for that. It was just an unwelcome surprise. But the post's akin to crying about a torn shoelace. Sorry, guys!

Anyway, I do hope you can figure out how to fix this sort of thing / prevent it from happening in the future.

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
The threads wear merge and then it was notice yours was for a torrent file and was split to it own thread.

When posts get split tags don't get transferred to the new thread.
I guess they wear not notice to be missing form your thread then.
-----------

Mods are always learning how vBulletin works and sometimes we can make mistakes.

That's exactly what happened when I did that mistake...
I was searching for similar uploads of the same manga, but took one manga torrent thread together with the many other manga downloads, saw the mistake, and move the torrent part back. I don't want to merge torrents with direct downloads, even if they are of the same material.

I did not notice there were tags in your thread, so I did no bother about that.

I just moved the tags back to where they belong, are you happy now ? :evil: Please notice that you got also a new thread number (I had to "create" it again). Is there still something to repair with your thread ?

So much fuss about that thread, that is basically a copy of the torrent from nyattorrent plus additional info on the manga itself.
As usual you are overreacting, but I still apologize for the little mess I made. I don't think that the tag thing is considered very seriously by leechers users.

Life is made of learning by mistakes, we try to do the best for all users. :study:

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
"Just a repost of something from NyaaTorrents,"

Well sure, but every last one of your uploads is also a repost of something uploaded elsewhere.

And everyone else's uploads here are reposts from elsewhere.

Almost no one here is an original content provider. And I wasn't trying to lay dibs to the content or to the tags themselves. I was simply saying that if I made the tags (which I did), they should at least still be on my thread. I was objecting to their removal from my thread and placement on another thread. They can be on both threads, and they can be on just my thread, but to have them on just the other thread is bad. That's what I was objecting to.

Also, this thread isn't so much about me bitching about tags as it was me raising a serious (though small) technical complaint about your guys' merger methods. I remember from talking with Rollyco way back when that many members here prefer to use thread subscription over actually browsing the forums. They rely heavily on the original thread IDs for this purpose. If you guys keep deleting and re-creating old threads, it's going to have major impacts on those members. So you need to re-evaluate how you go about this merger business, i.e. you should probably do it in a precise step-by-step order every time and not think to yourselves, "Well, so long as the end product looks like how I want it to look, that's all that matters, right?"