Digital Download and Playing Back

pavane

Feb 8, 2010
Hi
I am not very up to date with technology and would like some advice please.
1 what is the best way to play back a download from this site?
2 if i play it back is there any sort of player i can use that has a remote and has a option to play in slow motion?
I am not looking for detailed replies, just a suggestion and brief explanation as to what hardware and software might be useful to me.
Espcially as regards 2.

Last edited:

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
I use VLC and SMP both have faster and slower modes

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
Most video player are based on the same decoders these days so just use the one you like best and weak hardware is plenty good these days to play almost anything so unless you're trying weird things, you also don't have to worry about that. You'd have to go play with a bunch of settings to make one display in better quality and it's so little that you'll likely not even notice.

Assuming you're using Windows as your operating system, I'd suggest mpchc, which is the one I prefer, if you're not happy with VLC: https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases/tag/1.9.18
You can download an app on your cellphone and use that as a remote(there's also one for vlc, neither of which I personally tested): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skovvart.mpcremote&hl=en_US&gl=US

With MPCHC, to play in slow motion, you can press ctrl + down arrow to slow by half each time(or up arrow to speed up) and you can also go frame by frame using ctrl + left/right arrow.

Media Player Classic(and its variations, like mpchc), VLC and variations of mplayer(like smplayer that coolkevin suggested or mpv which I like since it has a very minimal interface) are the 3 most popular players.
Or if you want a media center application(manages and plays your videos, music and pictures), Kodi is one of the best options out there and also has a remote app available.
And if you feel more adventurous and tackle something more complicated, you can use a media center server like plex(paid last I checked) or emby(the free version is more than enough) which will allow you to play all your media on any device in your home network or even from anywhere with an internet connection if you allow it.
I use emby myself, mostly for tv shows and movies, and you can start watching on one device like your pc, pause or stop the video and continue where you left off on your phone or whatever else. It can be integrated with kodi but also has a web browser player so as long as you have either on your device, you can watch your stuff. It can even re-encode the video to something compatible on the fly if your device isn't capable of playing it for some reason.

Another option for a remote would be to use an air mouse. You just plug the dongle in your pc and you can use it as a mouse(has a gyroscope so you just move it in the air to move the mouse cursor on screen) and keyboard(when you flip it over) depending on the model. Takes a bit of getting used to but I have this one and I quite like it: https://www.amazon.com/MX3-Backlit-Air-Mouse-Wireless/dp/B09D57QZBF/ref=sr_1_12?crid=39PP5ZIEPKZ69

Only issue is that it doesn't have the ctrl key on the keyboard so you'd have to change the mpchc Keys setting to change the slow motion to something other than the default if you use that player.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoolKevin

pavane

Feb 8, 2010
Most video player are based on the same decoders these days so just use the one you like best and weak hardware is plenty good these days to play almost anything so unless you're trying weird things, you also don't have to worry about that. You'd have to go play with a bunch of settings to make one display in better quality and it's so little that you'll likely not even notice.

Assuming you're using Windows as your operating system, I'd suggest mpchc, which is the one I prefer, if you're not happy with VLC: https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases/tag/1.9.18
You can download an app on your cellphone and use that as a remote(there's also one for vlc, neither of which I personally tested): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skovvart.mpcremote&hl=en_US&gl=US

With MPCHC, to play in slow motion, you can press ctrl + down arrow to slow by half each time(or up arrow to speed up) and you can also go frame by frame using ctrl + left/right arrow.

Media Player Classic(and its variations, like mpchc), VLC and variations of mplayer(like smplayer that coolkevin suggested or mpv which I like since it has a very minimal interface) are the 3 most popular players.
Or if you want a media center application(manages and plays your video), Kodi is one of the best options out there and also has a remote app available.

Another option for a remote would be to use an air mouse. You just plug the dongle in your pc and you can use it as a mouse(has a gyroscope so you just move it in the air to move the mouse cursor on screen) and keyboard(when you flip it over) depending on the model. Takes a bit of getting used to but I have this one and I quite like it: https://www.amazon.com/MX3-Backlit-Air-Mouse-Wireless/dp/B09D57QZBF/ref=sr_1_12?crid=39PP5ZIEPKZ69

Only issue is that it doesn't have the ctrl key on the keyboard so you'd have to change the mpchc Keys setting to change the slow motion to something other than the default if you use that player.
Thanks very much for your reply. I am busy getting ready for work but a quick look shows it is full of useful tips. will read it more fully later. thanks again.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
Good because I had forgotten to talk about media servers in case you felt like getting a headache setting one up, which is now rectified.

Reactions: CoolKevin

pavane

Feb 8, 2010
Good because I had forgotten to talk about media servers in case you felt like getting a headache setting one up, which is now rectified.
Yes because i wanted to query about hardware too!
But think I will put that on another post thanks.