Bullied at work - suggestions on how to cope....

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
That is always a shame. You put yourself out there online and the realistic fear of ridicule or trolling makes you regret the decision. Been there done that.

The most important thing to realize about being bullied, in any situation, is that it is not about you. I admit that this may seem contrary to you being the target of aggression, (whether it is physical. mental or a combination of torments), but being the target of aggression and being the reason for aggression are two entirely different things. Realizing it is not about you is important because otherwise you will blame yourself for what is happening to you when this is not the case. Bullying is an immature act perpetrated by people with childish emotional issues of one sort or another. If it wasn't you than someone else would be the target (as much as you might wish this were the case).

At work however this type of action is intolerable. It is called a hostile work enviroment. You must take this matter up with your supervisor. For whatever reason you have not done this already it is important to know that this is not just what is best for you but what is best for for the company you work for and in all actuality what is best for the person or persons bullying you (whether they realize it or not). If your supervisor(s) do not take the appropriate steps to put a stop to the bullish behavior of your co-workers than seeing a lawyer is the right call so that the company itself can be made aware of the problem and that there needs to be a change in their policies about bullying.

There have been many changes in the world since I was young that I sincerely disapprove of yet the attitude of intolerance to a hostile work enviroment is not one of them. As an employee you have rights. You are owed more than just a paycheck, you are owed the right to be treated with a modicum of respect for your efforts in your employers name. Do not, under any circumstances, accept less than what you are due.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 person