Bitorrent

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Sam2356

Apr 27, 2009
I have used bittorrent with no problem for months.As of 1 week ago when I click on it tells me to upgrade and insists on adding a browser that will become the default.I do not trust this.Anyone else have a similar issue?

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
As a rule of thumb, I don't install any "extra software" that comes with a free program. However, what you're seeing may not be malicious. It depends on what its telling you, and exactly what browser it wants to install.

If you can provide some more specific info, we'd be able to get you a better answer.

Going on what you've said so far, I'd recommend just getting a new bittorrent client. In the several years I've torrented, I've never had a program force an update or prompt a browser install during an update. If that is, indeed, whats going on, just dump the client. There are plenty out there that wouldn't make you upgrade or install frivolous software.

Sam2356

Apr 27, 2009
Thanks. I uninstalled the bitorrent then went to the bittorrent.com and reinstalled.Back to normal.Maybe a virus got at the last one.

Syobon

(´・ω・`)
Dec 22, 2009
you should try utorrent, since bittorent is just a "copy" of utorrent with couple of extra features (mostly unnecessary).

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
you should try utorrent, since bittorent is just a "copy" of utorrent with couple of extra features (mostly unnecessary).

This would probably be a good idea. If something went wrong with the last program there's a chance it can happen again.

I had some issues with the latest version of utorrent (2.0), so I'd recommend getting the previous version ( 1.8.5 ) off of the utorrent forums or from FileHippo. After install, it will say that there is a newer version available, but you can select not to download it. Then, just disable update checks in your preferences and you won't be bothered about it anymore.