Are you a big fan of Ramen??

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I didn't feel this was newsworthy enough for the news section but since I have taken up browsing Japanese news stories as of late I came across this very Japanese oreintated article I wanted to share:

By KAORI SHOJI
Special to The Japan Times

Did somebody use the word "bland" in describing the Japanese male temperament? Wrong. Misinformed. Arienāi! (ありえなーい, not possible!) Okay, maybe my countrymen are bland in some areas best not mentioned in polite conversation. But let me set the record straight: the Japanese male is a toritsukareta (取り憑かれた, obsessive), shōdōteki (衝動的, impulsive), gōyoku (強欲, greedy), downright yajyū (野獣, beast)! At least when it comes to ramen.

You heard right: that greasy, steaming bowl laced and layered with fatty calories, has the power to make grown men stand in line for an hour, in all kinds of weather. It will transform a depressed, morose man with thoughts of suicide into a babbling, happy rāmen-baka (ラーメンバカ, a fool for ramen). So fevered is the man-ramen relationship, that we have now reached an era where one out of two Japanese men between the ages of 40 and 74 have been diagnosed with, or are in the preliminary stages of having naizōshibō shōkōgun (内蔵脂肪症候群, metabolic syndrome).

For all that, nothing brightens the Japanese male countenance quite like a bowl of ramen, preferably with a beer. Even better is when the ramen shop is the type to have bowls of nama ninniku (生にんにく, raw garlic) lined up on the counter, which customers are free to add to their bowls. Can you wonder that the dating scene is as dead as a doornail? All those men out there not caring what they smell like.

The popular notion is that for men, shirogohan (白ごはん, white rice) is the wife, while ramen is the eternal mistress. However far he strays, a man will eventually come home to eat a bowl of home-cooked rice — but the rest of the time, his thoughts are with his noodles. Especially after an official company nomikai (飲み会, drinking party) that entails navigating through conversational landmines with one's jyōshi (上司, section boss), men are apt to hurry toward their favorite rāmenya (らーめん屋, ramen shop) with the purposeful gait of a young Victorian lover off to visit an Isabelle Adjani lookalike laced in a corset.

Much has been said and written about the correct and best procedure for tackling that ramen bowl — according to my personal observations, the protocol changes with a man's age. Those under 35 engage in behavior that may only be described as sacrilege, such as going for the chāshyū (焼豚, slices of roast pork) first thing, or picking bit of negi (ねぎ, scallions) out of the bowl because they can't stand veggies. Men over 40 on the other hand, tend to their bowls like priests at the altar. "Men ga sakika, sūpu ga sakika" (「麺が先か、スープが先か」"Eat the noodles first, or take a sip of soup first?") is a philosophical question on par with Hamlet's. And after finishing off that bowl, there's the inner battle over the issue of kaedama (替え玉, a second portion of noodles, ladled into the bowl when there is soup is left over). Does one dare disregard the warning signals of one's girth? It's a quandary.

One of the most palpable pleasures of ramen-eating had been the post-bowl cigarette but now that so many smokers have quit, they are now opting to go for the kaedama, if only to ease the kuchisabishisa (口寂しさ, lonely mouth) that often plagues those who have sworn off nicotine. The less people smoke, the more they feel tempted to stock up on calories, which has given rise to the unthinkable emergence of the kinen rāmenya (禁煙らーめん屋, non-smoking ramen shop), which compensates for the lack of cigarette smoke by offering extra shibōbun (脂肪分, fat matter) all around. It's common knowledge that the number of chāshyū slices once stabilized at three per bowl, has gone up to as much as five or six slices and they're actually thicker!

On the other side of the counter, another story unfolds. As in most other areas of the Japanese gaishoku sangyō (外食産業, food service industry), it's heavily conservative, entrenched in tradition and extremely labor intensive. Work begins at 7 in the morning or earlier, and it's the job of the shitappa (下っ端, guy in the bottom tier of the shop hierarchy) to scrub the sink, wash any leftover pots from the night before, plunge his hands into a huge bucket of ice-cold water to scrub blocks of meat and bones to be used for stock, sweep up the chūbō (厨房, kitchen) floor inevitably slick with grease and dust, wipe the counters and clean the toilet. The work doesn't let up until 2 p.m., when the shitappa can slurp a bowl himself (usually standing behind a pillar in the chūbō) before washing up the crockery from lunch. After that, the shop goes on until 10 or 11 p.m. It's said that a ramenya has the highest risk of cancer and earliest mortality rate of all other food businesses, but the number of youths who dream of owning and running a ramenya increases by the year. But for the Japanese male, death by ramen isn't the worst way to go.

source:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/ek20120312a1.html

Please feel free to share any thoughts on the subject if you have them.

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
So Japan is having its own issues with junk food overload? :full:

At least they have health care. What counts as obese in Japan 150? 175? :joker:

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Hot Stuff!

The fiery ramen available at Men Baka Ichidai, a restaurant in Kyoto. The restaurant is near Nijo Castle.

picture.php

vincent_z

Low Angler
Nov 27, 2007
Rahmen Rahm-page

I have begun spending a lot more time studying ramen. There are now a number of ramen shacks, including one in Jinbocho, that I intend to visit this trip.
For me, the problem is deciphering Kana in order to learn which variety I am about to order on the machine. :...: I think I would prefer shoyu ramen. But if I push the button on another column, I may be ordering tsukemen.
It had better include the semi-boiled egg, and I reserve the right to add the ninniku!

WillEater

Mar 13, 2008
"A bowl of ramen is a self contained universe" --
Short, nice scene from the 2008 film 'The Ramen Girl', starring the late Brittany Murphy in a good role. Its about an American girl in Tokyo who decides she wants to learn how to make Ramen. In this clip, the ramen Master who she works for, tries to explain to her - quite deeply - what ramen is. He doesnt speak English. She doesnt speak Japanese. Got it? Its not up to the level of the brilliant TAMPOPO but if you like that film (and ramen) this is still worth a rental.

The scene starts at Tsukiji market in Tokyo where the Ramen Master and his new assistant (Murphy) are shopping. A rival makes fun of him. Back at the restaurant, he starts explaining about the role of the broth, the soup. This little speech was for me the highlight of the film.

Brittany Murphy gives a very cute, funny performance in this film. She was quite talented. She will be missed.

[youtube]cAwgswOQJBo[/youtube]

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
The only Ramen I had are prepackaged instant ramen. Some of the KATUSA snack bars in Camp Hovey, Camp Casey and a little old Korean lady who would follow your unit around and set up shop would serve hot Ramen but it was still the instant stuff but they just added chicken, cheese, mushroom, or what ever else you wanted in there. From what I can tell they used Nong Shim's An Sung Tang Myun flavor.Spicy and pretty good. As far as I know there are no places in my city that sell freshly made Ramen, So I have to to stick the instant ramen. Luckily there are few Asian, Japanese/Korean stores in town I can buy a variety of instant Ramen.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
the 2008 film 'The Ramen Girl'.......Brittany Murphy gives a very cute, funny performance in this film. She was quite talented. She will be missed.

So I couldn't bring myself to watch the clip, it might spoil the movie which I am watching now. It is awesome. Just what I was in the mood for....arigato, thank you very much.

Of course I downloaded a movie with subtitles...for even the English parts....(why do they do that?). The english subtitles for the english speaking parts are so bad it is almost hilarious so much so I couldn't bring myself to download a version without them.

Gir633

Señor Member
Oct 28, 2008
I do like ramen, I was only able to get to try it a couple of times in Japan and it was pretty good. Now while there is a ton of sushi shops around and a couple of udon shops around where I live there isn't any that have ramen. But I don't buy the instant ramen, instead I go for Maruchan's yakisoba, same dried noodles and soup base, but less water and some freeze dried vegies thrown in.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Seriously, if you want good instant ramen, and I mean FUCKING AMAZINGLY GOOD instant ramen, try 'Rao Ramen'. I would gladly eat that 7 days a week.

nissin-title.jpg

Sofer

Nov 18, 2009
I don't really love ramen.

But it's one nice kind of noodle soup.
My favorite is still with shrimps and veggies.

Makeing that for myself. Since a kind soul tought me how to make the soup right.. and not only using instant soup pulver~

Ps: I stopped eating instant ramen.. which i ate a long time on my travels. Or when i hadn't had eough time. The spice and the additives, gave my stomach a hard time after a couple of years :evil:. Now i am slowly regaining my full stomach's health . I can't eat anthing spicey anymore q.q.. just not yet..:exhausted:

May 16, 2010
Seriously, if you want good instant ramen, and I mean FUCKING AMAZINGLY GOOD instant ramen, try 'Rao Ramen'. I would gladly eat that 7 days a week.

nissin-title.jpg

Looks like Ima have to settle for Nissin's regular ramen since I can't get Rao in the States, but still I need an upgrade from Manchuran.

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
I do like ramen, I was only able to get to try it a couple of times in Japan and it was pretty good. Now while there is a ton of sushi shops around and a couple of udon shops around where I live there isn't any that have ramen. But I don't buy the instant ramen, instead I go for Maruchan's yakisoba, same dried noodles and soup base, but less water and some freeze dried vegies thrown in.

What Maruchan yakisoba are you referring too?

ischym

Oct 26, 2009
By far the best ramen I've ever had was on the streets of Fukuoka. Some of those little tented stands just know how to do it.

Where I live ramen is mostly of the instant variety... I can't enjoy it anymore.

vincent_z

Low Angler
Nov 27, 2007
Suggestion

If you're in the Tokyo area, let me recommend to you the shack run by Keizo, of the short movie "Ramen Dreams":
Bassanova, just north of the Keio Inokashira Line's Shin-Daita station in Setagaya-ku. :full: