Are Japanese antisocial?

Muz1234

Nov 6, 2013
I am comparing people all over the world how I socialize with them from time to time. I see lots of people from all over the world are quite social, especially the West but Japanese don't go online quite often.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
they like to avoid idiots

vandebay

Mar 29, 2010
My friend who lives there as an expat has told me that they tend to avoid friendliness and that friendliness vibes that you'd get is just a facade.

Taako

Akiba Citizen
May 25, 2017
My friend who lives there as an expat has told me that they tend to avoid friendliness and that friendliness vibes that you'd get is just a facade.
By all means, let your one friend say all Japanese aren't friendly. haha maybe he's not a good person or have an axe to grind?

imported_the_laughing_man

Ritalin Addict!
Jan 15, 2010
After 10+ years here I can safely say that it’s not they are antisocial. But more weary.

As a culture they don’t talk to strangers and don’t like to be talked to by them either.

As for foreigners, they kind of avoid you if you don’t speak the language.
How I’m perceived and treated when I didn’t speak Japanese compared to today is a huge difference as most Japanese do not know how to communicate in English.

Reactions: Taako

javongo

May 17, 2017
Of course they are anti-social toward people who don't understand their language. Do you often talk to the foreigner(s) who can't speak a lick of your native language? LOL. I want to learn Japanese so bad just for the opportunity to talk to beautiful Japanese women. Same reason for learning any language from my perspective, it is increasing my chance of romance.

Reactions: Taako

fac_kiu

Never say hopeless
Oct 30, 2009
My work-mate is Japanese for 4 years but we rarely speak to each other except job task. My experience for Japanese is most of them introvert, only talk if needed. Some of Japanese guys I've met used to drink and don't want to get married, they'd rather to work oversea than working in their homeland because of the heavily tax. Japanese girls mostly like Western boys, they are not as beauty as on AV because AV actress has surgery a lot. They don't mind to talk about sex but will never have sex with Asian boy without beneficial things (they willing to have sex with Western or American for fun lol).

Taako

Akiba Citizen
May 25, 2017
Interesting, the few Japanese women I've talked to online made it quite clear, they aren't talking about that stuff.
Although I never thought about it, I can guess they were subject to it before by other members?

The Japanese male friends I made seem to have little interest in sex things so it rarely comes up. They will talk more about sports and gaming which I like also :D

Reactions: fac_kiu

fac_kiu

Never say hopeless
Oct 30, 2009
Interesting, the few Japanese women I've talked to online made it quite clear, they aren't talking about that stuff.
Although I never thought about it, I can guess they were subject to it before by other members?

The Japanese male friends I made seem to have little interest in sex things so it rarely comes up. They will talk more about sports and gaming which I like also :D
Which sports do you like? As I've known most of Japanese like baseball. In Japan baseball is the most favorite sport not football, even thought Japan football team is one of the strongest team in Asia.

Do you know that JP society is the most racist in Asia? Oversea workers always have an unfair treatment... If you get robbed or being bullied in JP and report to police, they seemed to be nice but ignored you. Sooner or later you will give up and accept that unfair.
Hmm my own experiences!

Taako

Akiba Citizen
May 25, 2017
Which sports do you like? As I've known most of Japanese like baseball. In Japan baseball is the most favorite sport not football, even thought Japan football team is one of the strongest team in Asia.

Do you know that JP society is the most racist in Asia? Oversea workers always have an unfair treatment... If you get robbed or being bullied in JP and report to police, they seemed to be nice but ignored you. Sooner or later you will give up and accept that unfair.
Hmm my own experiences!
So many questions? :D
1. Baseball is popular there, but many the ones I talk too like basketball and gaming and skateboarding, and skiing.
2. JP society the most racist? I've heard but I haven't felt that from the people I've talk too. Also, it's been said South Korea is very racist and China as well.
We know America and parts of Europe and India with it's caste system is also racist. So... no country is better than another on that aspect.
3. Crime situation varies in different countries... I remember just recently China had those 9 men attack and brutally beat those women. Lots of people stood and did nothing and the police show up half an hour later... big story over that still making the news.
America the same. Mass shootings, robbery, bullies, murders... It's bad nearly everywhere.

Reactions: fac_kiu

fac_kiu

Never say hopeless
Oct 30, 2009
So many questions? :D
1. Baseball is popular there, but many the ones I talk too like basketball and gaming and skateboarding, and skiing.
2. JP society the most racist? I've heard but I haven't felt that from the people I've talk too. Also, it's been said South Korea is very racist and China as well.
We know America and parts of Europe and India with it's caste system is also racist. So... no country is better than another on that aspect.
3. Crime situation varies in different countries... I remember just recently China had those 9 men attack and brutally beat those women. Lots of people stood and did nothing and the police show up half an hour later... big story over that still making the news.
America the same. Mass shootings, robbery, bullies, murders... It's bad nearly everywhere.
lol people this people that, but I have had some good memories with Chinese because of the similarity in culture between my country and China.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
I have been to China I found that they love westerners and go out of there way to help you, most hate the Japanese because of the WW2, they have a disliking for there own kind if anyhing

Taako

Akiba Citizen
May 25, 2017
I have been to China I found that they love westerners and go out of there way to help you, most hate the Japanese because of the WW2, they have a disliking for there own kind if anyhing
Very interesting insight. I have to say Chinese are also friendly online too. I understand the resentment because of WW2 and what the Japanese did--horrible horrible stuff.

Disliking their own kind? I don't understand that part tbh