Are Japanese antisocial?

Muz1234

Nov 6, 2013
I am comparing people all over the world how I socialize with them from time to time. I see lots of people from all over the world are quite social, especially the West but Japanese don't go online quite often.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
they like to avoid idiots

Reactions: Restarter

vandebay

Mar 29, 2010
My friend who lives there as an expat has told me that they tend to avoid friendliness and that friendliness vibes that you'd get is just a facade.

Taako

May 25, 2017
My friend who lives there as an expat has told me that they tend to avoid friendliness and that friendliness vibes that you'd get is just a facade.
By all means, let your one friend say all Japanese aren't friendly. haha maybe he's not a good person or have an axe to grind?

imported_the_laughing_man

Ritalin Addict!
Jan 15, 2010
After 10+ years here I can safely say that it’s not they are antisocial. But more weary.

As a culture they don’t talk to strangers and don’t like to be talked to by them either.

As for foreigners, they kind of avoid you if you don’t speak the language.
How I’m perceived and treated when I didn’t speak Japanese compared to today is a huge difference as most Japanese do not know how to communicate in English.

Reactions: Taako

javongo

May 17, 2017
Of course they are anti-social toward people who don't understand their language. Do you often talk to the foreigner(s) who can't speak a lick of your native language? LOL. I want to learn Japanese so bad just for the opportunity to talk to beautiful Japanese women. Same reason for learning any language from my perspective, it is increasing my chance of romance.

Reactions: Taako