Am I the only one who thought Attack On Titan was overrated?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Speeny

Sep 28, 2013
It could of been due to the fact that me and a friend decided to marathon the entire series in one sitting.

Some aspects of it were cool, but nothing compared or ground breaking as something like SAO.

Your thoughts?

supersam

Loves Bukkake, Loves Long Tongues & Loves Gokkun!!
Jul 13, 2009
I actually want to start getting in to Anime, only seen a small amount of animated stuff. Fairly old stuff like, castle in the sky, street fighter manga (as I said fairly old). Anyway I had beeing looking at tracking this down to watch. Would you not recommend it for a newbie?

Speeny

Sep 28, 2013
For a newbie, watch it for sure.

Also check out Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, as well as Sword Art Online.

I'll suggest more later on. :)

Speeny

Sep 28, 2013
If you're into the older type of stuff, check out Perfect Blue or Akira. Fantastic films.

Reactions: Kal-El

channel2556

Aug 11, 2008
Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, Baccano. One of the best ever in all media (movie, tv, anime).

On the subject i thought "attack on titan" was just OK, its like time well spent and nothing that have that lasting impact.

Reactions: Ceewan and Speeny

Speeny

Sep 28, 2013
Cowboy Bebop, Death Note, Baccano. One of the best ever in all media (movie, tv, anime).

On the subject i thought "attack on titan" was just OK, its like time well spent and nothing that have that lasting impact.

Totally agree with you in terms of what you said about "lasting impact" I think I was sort of craving for that overall. :/

Reactions: channel2556

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
It could of been due to the fact that me and a friend decided to marathon the entire series in one sitting.

Some aspects of it were cool, but nothing compared or ground breaking as something like SAO.

Your thoughts?

As an overall series? I thought Attack on Titan was pretty good but the first few episodes were fucking awesome. You never knew who was going to live or die but you knew for sure something terrible was about to happen. The series is based on an ongoing manga so there is no way you would get the satisfaction you would from a gem like Sword Art Online which started and finshed its' tale in one season. Sword Art Online and its' sequel were based on a series of light novels. There is a definitive difference between light novels and manga. Manga are serials, (akin to Soap Operas), and the story is constantly ongoing and open-ended. A novel tells a complete story so the author has goals he seeks to accomplish right from the very beginning to the end. It allows for a more focused although somewhat more narrow storyline. As well Sword Art Online appeals to gamers and fantasy fans in general whereas Attack On Titan is just a brutal tale in a brutal world about desperate people. There are some similarities actually, if you look for them, but basically it is like comparing apples and oranges.

I actually want to start getting in to Anime, only seen a small amount of animated stuff. Fairly old stuff like, castle in the sky, street fighter manga (as I said fairly old). Anyway I had beeing looking at tracking this down to watch. Would you not recommend it for a newbie?

It really depends on what you enjoy watching. All anime is not created equally yet some well have more appeal to you than others. If you were standing in front of a movie theater what type of picture would you hope to see advertised? Do you like action? Samurai Champloo is very good but maybe you like fantasy? then perhaps I would agree that Full Metal Alchemist or Sword Art Online is more up your alley. What about Romance? nothing wrong with enjoying that and there are some great animes that will tear your heart out and have you cheering for your favorite characters. If you are interested in that the first that comes to mind is Toradora!. Maybe you want a comedy? not my strong point as I am not personally a fan of a lot of anime comedies but I do like some romantic comedies so I suppose I would suggest School Rumble. If you are a Science Fiction fan you could try Knights of Sidonia. However if you are a horror fan then may I suggest Darker than Black, one of my all time favorites. Basically anything in the anime torrent section is something I have seen, enjoyed and would suggest.

Last edited:
Reactions: supersam

Kal-El

Feb 1, 2015
Cowboy Bebop is the most overrated anime acc. to me. Maybe it was great back in late 90s, when it came but hasn't aged well. Attack on Titan was very good, but yes little overrated as the hype is still there, which is usually the thing with most recent stuff that get appreciated by many. My all time favs are Death Note & Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Kal-El

Feb 1, 2015
If you're into the older type of stuff, check out Perfect Blue or Akira. Fantastic films.
Yes, Akira is great, one of the best anime ever made. Would like to add Ghost in the Shell (1995) as well, it's the anime that gave inspiration to many great films.

jariiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Dec 23, 2015
just a matter of taste..
i found SAO is overrated, can't watch it more than 3 episode..too boring
don't mad at me, i love a bit gory/tragedy anime where the main character rly struggle, not some "acting tought" character like kirito :D :
you can see the reason why in my anime fav like : berserk, gantz, shigurui:death frenzy, basilisk, AoT, gangsta etc.

berserk and SAO both main character are called as a "black swordman"..you know the different between them?.
- Guts (berserk) when he threatened his enemy he said "My sword has gotten very dull. However, it's three times as thick and does three times the damage of a normal sword. You better pray you die quickly, or this could be painful."

- kirito "my level is bla.bla.bla...my HP is bla.bla.bla..my def is bla.bla.bla.my hp regen is bla.bla.la~you guys cannot defeat me bla.bla.bla" LOL

Last edited:

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
just a matter of taste..

Truer words were never said.

Guts in Berserk was a mans' man no doubt, but he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Berserk was a really good anime toom though I thought it didn't just get dark, for me it got a little......weird. I rewatched it recently, well worth the time and effort.

You "might" just like Puella Magi Madoka Magica which starts off cute but gets very dark and twisted indeed. However it is about a bunch of middle school girls so maybe not your thing.

Me, I enjoy it all ("almost" all). I find new anime to love all the time.

mealtimeshadow

May 31, 2016
It really is a matter of taste. I had to force myself to watch a full season of Sword Art Online. It has it's sweet romantic moments. But to me, it is a wish-fulfilling feel-good kind of family-friendly story. It's easy-to-watch cutesy fare like K-On.

For a similar fantasy/game romance sim setting, Re: Zero Kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu has been keeping my attention this season. It may be rehashing the idea of a "save point," or "do-over" a la Ground Hog Day/All You Need is Kill (The Edge of Tomorrow)/Boku Ga Inai Machi (The town where I am not there/Erased). Yet there is good mystery and problem solving element that keeps me engaged.

I like Attack on Titan; the anime far surpasses the manga in art quality, but I don't like the way it diverges from the actual plot towards the end of the season (Claymore and Gantz had a similar issue). I don't know if I would call it overhyped, and I wouldn't say it's the best thing ever. But entertains me in the sense of the the scale of imagination. There is a deeper mystery of why do titans exist to begin with, where do they come from, and why doesn't anybody (except the shadow governor/ruler) know the real history of how things came to be in Attack on Titans world.

Berserk is one of my all time favorites by far. I'm looking forward to the reboot, where it picks up where both the 3 movies and the old TV series left off. But Berserk, like Hunter X Hunter, One Piece, and Hajime no Ippo, is falling into that category of manga where you wonder if the artist is going to die before he ever gets to finish the story.

StageNinja47

Sep 21, 2013

Your thoughts?

I like it and I would rank it a B over all. That being said. I do think that it is ridiculously over rate. Most of the people I seen talk about it make it seen like it s the greatest anime ever. I enjoy it. Especially the first 9 episodes, but after that it really slows down and loses a lot of the moment that it builds up in the first couple of episodes. The very last seen in the Anime I think is a great cliff hanger.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
What's the difference between Shingeki and the rest? Shingeki only has 25 episodes so far yet it's on par in popularity with the other super long, Americanized anime. Why is it popular?

Depends on what you mean by "the rest". There are other anime on par with Titan. It is a pretty hardcore story though, American anime is generally anything but hardcore. It also shows a lot of imagination, which isn't unusual in anime but not something that American toons have in common as they are generally made for a younger audience and filled with politically correct dialogue. There are lots of other hardcore anime that are popular as well though, at least with me. The whole "the world is ending"/"last gasp for humanity" is pretty in vogue now too though (eg. "The Walking Dead").

ashshark

Araumi No Ohja
Jul 11, 2016
i tought the same in the beginning but attack on titans is really nice, and the "hype" is more calmed now, naruto and one piece are the most hyped manga/anime xD (and sometimes i thing both are the most overrated, than attack on titans xP)

Reactions: Ceewan