Akihabara - have you been there

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Well if you're in my neck of the woods (Asakusa, next to Akihabara), let me know and we can meet up for a beer or three at Samurai Cafe Asakusa. I'll introduce you to the owner.

Aug 25, 2010
Suidobashi? Really? OK - Inking that into my next foray.
I especially endorse Jimbocho {a/k/a Jinbocho}. I found JAVs going for ¥100 at a shop there. I've been inside AV Factorys in Jimbocho & Akiba. Its Jimbocho shops are more specialized. Nonetheless, I wound up buying JAVs at its Akiba shop back in March 2010. Keep your brain functional. The deal will often be a sliding scale of the more JAVs you buy, the less you spend for each succeeding one. I did well enough that when I brought my purchases to the register, I was signalled I had spent enough to select one more JAV from a selection in front of the register. Many of the pool were futanari, which I would have bought, but I found a CD Case of an "Art SM" video from the mid-1980s. That was my selection. :flattered:

Suidobashi/Jimbocho are only about a mile or less apart, so yeah, we are essentially talking about the same area. I haven't gotten the chance to explore some of the used stores so much yet as I always go on the holidays and they are closed then, but looking forward to it!

I got free DVD's at AV Factory. Got two decent milf ones. It's a shame I didn't know about it as I could have found a few more dvd's to get!

Is there a good place to find gravure/idol videos in tokyo? I found one shop in suidobashi and one in Akihabara but when I inquired about it at most places, they looked at me like I was silly.

antirad

Can you see me?
May 27, 2010
Abigaile Johnson has been to Akihabara as I saw the video of her already and she looks great.

Here's the front cover of her in YMDD-010.
attachment.php

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Many people who aren't celebrities have been to Akiba.
Nick Scheilds
Demmy Moore
Bill Clinton
Mike Taylor
Bruce Johannson
Tim Grove

So? lol

Famas130

Jan 10, 2011
Most likely going to Tokyo this summer and was wondering if there is any specially good store that specialies in anime Blu-rays/figures?
Wich i'm mostly interested in.

I've heard a bit about Animate...?
Anything more?

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Asobit City is pretty darn good. The 6th floor of Yodobashi Camera has a fairly good collection of BluRay cartoons too, so peek over there as well.

Hope you have fun here.

KCRose

Oct 16, 2007
It's definetly the place to spend money. I visited back in September (From America) and had lots of fun. There are a lot of 'no picture' signs about however so be careful before you decide to snap a photo. I spent much time in the arcades (5 stories FTW) and looking at the different maid cafe'. Make sure to wander the ally ways and plan to spend much of your day there. At least that's how it went for this american.

vincent_z

Low Angler
Nov 27, 2007
More shopping

Suidobashi/Jimbocho are only about a mile or less apart, so yeah, we are essentially talking about the same area. I haven't gotten the chance to explore some of the used stores so much yet as I always go on the holidays and they are closed then, but looking forward to it!
When walking north on Hakusan Dori, I got to the Kanda River & the JR Chuo/Sobu Line station, and figured, "That's it. Any further is the Dome, and probably no more JAV shops." Next time, I will cross the Kanda River. :pandalaugh:
{edit}
Is there a good place to find gravure/idol videos in Tokyo? I found one shop in Suidobashi and one in Akihabara but when I inquired about it at most places, they looked at me like I was silly.
It is rough to say. I don't usually gravitate to those DVDs. The shops in Jimbocho and Akiba stock them, but they usually want full list price for them. This old thread here at A-O mentions the Oimoya shop in Akiba, in which I shopped because I am familiar with its Tweets on Twitter, but I didn't buy any there because, again, they were all selling at full list price. :distressed:
Something has just flashed in my memory. Try a shop like Tsutaya. It just might have some ex-rental Idol DVDs being offloaded for around ¥500.

Aug 25, 2010
Idol DVD's are always full price and they are hard to find. There is a corner place that sells them on Hakusan-Dori and the big av place in Akiba sells them.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Idol DVDs are NOT always full price. If that is really what you think then you haven't been shopping in anywhere good.

Sento-kun

Mar 12, 2010
best place to stay in akiba for a night in terms of a price/comfort ratio? there's a manga kissaten i remember staying at once but i didn't sleep really.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Uhh.. why not -NOT- stay in Akiba and stay in one of the surrounding areas... Akiba is really in essence -ONLY- a street that has otaku goods with a couple side-streets selling the same wares. Go more than 2 blocks (real blocks, not the mini side-street blocks) in any direction away from the main-street and then that's it, there's nothing that you would be interested in.

Check in one of the Hostels in Asakusa and fucking -WALK- to Akihabara (I used to live in Asakusa and would walk to Akiba a few times a month).

Everything in purple is 'otaku'... as you can see, there really isn't a lot.
7850134552_6bfb9b9d44_h.jpg

Sento-kun

Mar 12, 2010
i was actually in asakusa for the samba carnival. i was planning on finding a capsule hotel or something but i was so worn down from sitting on the street and in the sun for 7 hours tht i decided i really needed a hotel. that and i had killed my camera battery dead, something i didn:t honestly expect to do. i walked for a couple hours, stepping in every hotel i saw from asakusa to a little past asakusa bashi, and they were every one of them full... weekend, summer, and a carnival. so i guess i was staying at a capsule hotel after all. i usually go to one in shinjuku right in kabuki-cho. 2200 yen. but, i tried a different one in ueno, 4000 yen. i:m not sure if i could call it better but the price was certainly worse. thought that might be worth something in terms of quality but i guess not. and now i:m sitting here at monkey-net manga kissaten in akiba, charging my phone and camera bat and posting here lol. and drinking lots of ice cocoa.

Reactions: 1 person

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
I am sorry, however due to your lack of capital letters and apparent punctuation, I will not be reading your reply. Please make an attempt to re-type it for those of us who are not lazy and made an attempt to help you in the first place.

Thank you.

Sento-kun

Mar 12, 2010
lol, i wouldn:t call it help; more of a reprimand if you ask me. i asked for someone to name a place and you essentially called me stupid for it. :sadomaso:

the only thing i care about on the internet is grammar. being able to functionally communicate is a deserted island in the middle of a sea of youtube comments and 12 year old facebook posts.
about the punctuation, like i said, i:m at a manga kissaten here in akihabara. i don:t usually type with japanese keyboards so if you want your apostrophes back (and believe me, i do) then you:ll have to wait until i get home.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Still can't read what you said, not going to try.
If you're still looking for hotels, you should have tried one of the numerous capsule hotels in Asakusa, had several friends stay overnight in them last minute on Friday and Saturday to help with work. Hotels are plentiful. Not only Capsule but 'Square Hotel' has several.

Oh well, good luck with your typing.

DasKamu

Apr 3, 2009
I went there a few times and have some photos
let me know if your interested in seeing them

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
No we DON'T want to see them... considering this topic is about it.

(retard... of course post them up!)

juicyjavs

Jun 4, 2012
I've been there twice. Its a place with a lot of manga, toy figures, electronics, and DVD/CDs. It is a great place for people who are into these things. It is also a tourist area which I believe you should go check it out once in your lifetime.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
I went there a few times and have some photos
let me know if your interested in seeing them

I guess we will not see them then :puzzled: