Aegisub help?

Taako

Akiba Citizen
May 25, 2017
I'll be brief and too the point :rolleyes:

I started using Aegisub because it seems to offer more subtitling options than Subtitle Edit. Just when I thought I understood it, I don't lol.

My problem: Usually when I create subs, I keep them on a USB stick with the movie. That included subs I picked up off line and the movie also.

The problem is the sub I create with Aegisub DO NOT keep the fonts I used. It looks good when I'm using the Aegisub, but when I saved the file(with the movie)on the USB stick... None of the sub I create with Aegisub is shown. Instead it looks like the default. :confused:

I saved the file as .ass and no change. I saved the file as .srt and no change. What am I doing wrong?

Other subs, with different fonts(from subbers, who do anime) works perfectly on my flat screen. And those files are saved as .srt files.

I tried researching on the Aegisub manual and it's no help. Not sure why this happen but any tips will be appreciate. I am thinking of trying Avidemux. Maybe that's the solution?

Reactions: Imscully

Imscully

Apr 1, 2014
I'll be brief and too the point :rolleyes:

I started using Aegisub because it seems to offer more subtitling options than Subtitle Edit. Just when I thought I understood it, I don't lol.

My problem: Usually when I create subs, I keep them on a USB stick with the movie. That included subs I picked up off line and the movie also.

The problem is the sub I create with Aegisub DO NOT keep the fonts I used. It looks good when I'm using the Aegisub, but when I saved the file(with the movie)on the USB stick... None of the sub I create with Aegisub is shown. Instead it looks like the default. :confused:

I saved the file as .ass and no change. I saved the file as .srt and no change. What am I doing wrong?

Other subs, with different fonts(from subbers, who do anime) works perfectly on my flat screen. And those files are saved as .srt files.

I tried researching on the Aegisub manual and it's no help. Not sure why this happen but any tips will be appreciate. I am thinking of trying Avidemux. Maybe that's the solution?
Hey Taako, my friend.
Have you tried changing the file name after you change the fonts?
I believe that I experienced the same type of problem when I first started using aegisub years ago.
Every time I make a change to fonts, I save it with a new name (I add dates to help me keep track of edits.) and that seems to ensure that the font changes are saved.
Give that a try and let me know if it works or not.
Cheers

mkoverall786

Jul 31, 2022
The Problem is that not all Media Players have all Fonts included. If the Media Player don't find the Font they use a default font.

The easyist way is, put the video, subs and the fonts into a mkv file, and then you can watch it everywhere, because the fonts for the subtitle will be read from the mkv file.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
mkoverall786 is right about putting the fonts inside of an mkv(using the attachments tab in mkvtoolnix), this is what most fansubbers do. I don't think any other container support this.
Else you need to make sure the system you're playing it on has the fonts installed(which is usually enough in my experience) and that your player/subtitle rendered can load those fonts(never had to do that with mpchc as my player or something using vsfilter back in the day).