A way around flash?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Volcan

Master of the Mountain
Apr 16, 2007
Seems I never installed flash on this PC. And I kinda don't want to. Youtube works fine but some other sites don't. Is there a way around installing flash. Could I grab the address of the flash for vlc without having flash?

Maclayter

Easily annoyed
Apr 8, 2015
jdownloader2 works for like 90% of sites, I think streaming would require on the fly transcoding which isn't worth the trouble in my eyes.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
You can choose which Flash program you want but if you want to use Flash then you have to have it installed. The same goes for just viewing it in your browser, you need to have a Flash plug-in installed. Is it a security risk? it has been in the past. Regardless it is a much used graphic by videos streams and pc games alike. You can do without it but likely you would prefer to put up with it. Just take the time to learn the ins-and-outs or just play it safe and go for adobe because they are the most popular.

Reactions: Casshern2

Maclayter

Easily annoyed
Apr 8, 2015
Flash has several hundred known vulnerabilities that could get full access to your machine, it is a huge security risk. There are no ins and outs to learn, any site you visit could be compromised. It's also available on macs, ios avoids flash. HTML5 is readily available, and downloading most flash videos is pretty easy

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Actually I think it is the ipads and other Apple mobile devices forbid Flash but I believe you can still use it on a MAC, it is just not recommended. Steve Jobs is very verbal on his opinion of Flash and I would not be one to argue with him. I mean after all, he is Steve Jobs. Some PC games I like and the occasional video (like on motherless) need Flash installed in order to play, no getting around that, no matter what OS you are using.

Flash has several hundred known vulnerabilities that could get full access to your machine, it is a huge security risk. There are no ins and outs to learn, any site you visit could be compromised. It's also available on macs, ios avoids flash. HTML5 is readily available, and downloading most flash videos is pretty easy

Didn't see your post, I was busy writing mine (among other things). Of course there are ins and outs of basic computer security and no one is going to "get full access to your machine" if you follow them. I use NoScript among other things and because of security concerns I don't allow Flash for everything but that goes for Java as well. A trusted site you often visit or one that is well known is should be pretty safe, Flash or not. It is better to make an informed choice than one based on fear. Yet I can agree to disagree on the issue.

Last edited:

Maclayter

Easily annoyed
Apr 8, 2015
Motherless uses HTML5 and it's really easy to download their videos. The best you can hope for is your trusted site should be safe, but both Yahoo and Microsoft had issues with flash last year that gave people full access to your machine. There is no security principal that makes your flash use safe, you're trusting whatever site you use not to target you and prevent anyone from attacking them. The majority of online exploits are using flash these days, you're free to use your computer as you see fit but any informed look at what it can do will show you how unsafe it is.

ShogunXXX

Nov 13, 2014
Flash is perfectly safe as long as you don't use it :D

---motherboard.vice.com/read/the-fbis-unprecedented-hacking-campaign-targeted-over-a-thousand-computers

Volcan

Master of the Mountain
Apr 16, 2007
Oh you... I run windows 10, I have no privacy.

The thing about not running flash (just vlc's plugin) was that I could see the file as a direct link, If I could get that to work with every site that'd be great. Let's see if jdownloader2 works for me...