8.8 Richter earthquake hits Japan: Tsunami, nuclear meltdown, many dead

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
The nuclear issue does seem to have somewhat taken over. Which is odd because as far as I can tell, there's not much of a nuclear issue at all. Even in the worst-case-scenarios. The numbers they're talking about radiation levels (even some of the short term numbers) rising to in populated areas are *drumroll* less than background radiation levels even in parts of the UK. It's all just a bit hysterical. You should see some of the newspaper headlines here in the land of tabloid drama.

But I suppose it's less depressing to focus on that than thousands of dead kids buried under slicks of mud and debris. The other news out of Japan is literally just a body count. Well, that and the supposed exodus of non-Japanese from Japan.

The crash-course in nuclear physics everyone has undergone in the last week or so (myself included) is nothing short of... is there a word more flippant than "lol"?

Anyway, donate to the red cross or some other charity if you can.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Even in the worst-case-scenarios. The numbers they're talking about radiation levels (even some of the short term numbers) rising to in populated areas are *drumroll* less than background radiation levels even in parts of the UK.
I seriously don't understand where this optimism comes from. We must be reading different news. The PM said ""[If the worst case scenario of the Fukushima 1 Nuclear Power Plant accident comes true,] we must consider the possibility that eastern Japan will be ruined." They're preparing Japan for the possibility of a prefecture-scale dead zone.

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
...and then there would hardly be more then a corridor at the Chinese Sea side, with most / all roads and railways disconnected / unuseable. The 30 kilometer range is not enough by far then...

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
I seriously don't understand where this optimism comes from.
I know he's the Prime Minister, but I still feel required to wave the [citation needed] card at him. Even if it were possible to "Go Chernobyl" (it's not) that wouldn't come close to wiping out the east coast of Japan. Perhaps a mistranslation? FUD? Or maybe he means "ruin" in the financial sense (which actually rings true).

I wouldn't call myself an optimist though. I am a firm pragmatist and realist.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Perhaps a mistranslation?
Video is here, translation was by a native speaker. I believe the word used was "tsubureru": (1) (uk) to be smashed; (2) to become useless; to cease functioning; (3) to go bankrupt

loveIdols

Nov 7, 2007

Glassjaw

Miu > all
Apr 30, 2007
Yep, they are proper hero's... I cannot imagine how that must feel to possibly inflict death or a life of pain on yourself like that.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
I (mistakenly?) assumed the reader would make his/her own deductions from the data.
It's fine to let people draw their own conclusions, but some readers don't know how to interpret the data. 11.2μSv is not an insignificant amount by any means, but even though 11.4μSv/hr is equivalent to 100,000μSv/yr by amount, it's only when you've reached the latter that there is a statistical chance of a part of a population developing health problems. It seems that the western media is particularly susceptible to this mistake; I don't know if there's something lost in the translation or if some journalists are intentionally trying to present a more dire situation.

"[If the worst case scenario of the Fukushima 1 Nuclear Power Plant accident comes true,] we must consider the possibility that eastern Japan will be ruined."
Kan reportedly has a degree in applied physics, but has no real world experience related to reactors. I don't think his statement (or anyone else's opinion) has anything to do with optimism or pessimism; everyone is simply trying to be realistic about the situation.

Of course we cannot deny the possibility that everything could go wrong and a significant portion of Fukushima decleared a dead-zone. That possibility exists alongside that which nothing else goes wrong and most of the radiation that has leaked disappears relatively quickly. Without an earthquake or tsunami, the possibility of a radiological disaster still exists even when a plant is operating normally (see TMI), no matter how small it is compared to the possibility that nothing goes wrong.

Also, something interesting someone posted on IRC:
Faux news strikes again.. they are unbelievably ignorant.
That's actually a video to help children to understand the situation, since trying to explain nuclear physics is too difficult for them. Poo is a seemingly appropriate analogy, since it easy for them to visualize the problem (as opposed to talking about atoms and electrons, etc).

Please post news about the Tsunami relief efforts.
It's estimated that some 380,000 people are being sheltered in over 2,000 locations (in the Tohoku area, not including those who have left Fukushima out of radiation concerns), with several locations sheltering over 1,000 people.

Some shelters now have electricity by way of generators, but fuel is extremely limited.

The Tohoku region is now being hit with a blizzard. Temperatures around freezing (0°C) in many cities. Most people are sheltered in schools, which were built only to be used during the day (warmed by sunlight, not much insulation, no heating, etc). In an effort to use gas heaters, survivors are now going out during the day to siphon gas from cars found amidst the wreckage. Most shelters can only afford to run heaters for 30min~2hrs each day, and will still run out soon.

There have already been multiple deaths at many shelters. Causes are due mainly to the extreme cold, and lack of medication (to control blood pressure, diabetes, etc). Children and elderly are also particularly susceptible to dehydration, and water is still in short supply at most shelters. There are no masks, and since some people have the flu (or other airborne sickness) and the shelters are cramped, there is fear of widespread infection (some shelters have already set up quarantines). There is also a shortage of diapers for babies, which is not only dangerous for the child, but also poses health hazards for everyone else because there is no garbage collection/disposal.

Lots of organizations are already working around the clock to get supplies to the shelters. Construction crews are busy rebuilding roads. Fuel companies have pulled together 500 tankers (and another 900 trucks) to transport fuel. Whole warehouses in unaffected regions are now stocked with food and supplies. The trick is getting those supplies out to the shelters quickly. Most of Japan uses its rail network to transport cargo, but getting to the shelters requires trucks. Since most roads are still badly damaged, a number of shelters are relying on air transport (helicopters).

6,911 deceased
10,692 reported missing
Over 20,000 status unconfirmed
386,739 living in shelters
2,182+ shelters

Additionally, the rolling blackouts are a serious problem for the areas not affected by the earthquake/tsunami. Hospitals and other emergency locations are not excluded from the blackouts (they lie on the same elecricity grid). Doctors have to carefully schedule appointments around blackouts (eg: dialysis treatments, which requires electricity), and are forced to use backup generators every day to maintain life support equipment. Of course, gas stations around the entire region are empty because everyone else is freaking out and stocking up, leaving very little for hospitals and ambulances. During the second day of blackouts, there has been at least one fatality: electricity to traffic lights were cut off, causing a truck/lorry to run into a woman on a motorbike at an intersection; she died shortly thereafter. Blackouts are still expected to continue throughout April.

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
Video is here, translation was by a native speaker. I believe the word used was "tsubureru": (1) (uk) to be smashed; (2) to become useless; to cease functioning; (3) to go bankrupt
3 perhaps? Or it got lost in translation to an extent beyond lexical semantics... I'm not used to politicians being sincere; maybe he was simply voicing his fears, as opposed to making a rational prediction.
That's actually a video to help children to understand the situation, since trying to explain nuclear physics is too difficult for them. Poo is a seemingly appropriate analogy, since it easy for them to visualize the problem (as opposed to talking about atoms and electrons, etc).
glassjaw was referring to the other clip in the post.

And thank you very much for the roundup. The media here is focused on reporting the nuclear angle and the panic caused by their reporting of the nuclear angle (mass exodus).

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1367684/Nuclear-plant-chief-weeps-Japanese-finally-admit-radiation-leak-kill-people.html
I'm not familiar with UK publications, but isn't the Daily Mail on par with other UK tabloid-style circulars? That is, they make up captions and pair them with seemingly dramatic pictures (which have nothing to do with the captions they made up), and then fill the articles with fluff to make up sensationalist stories.

It's probably true that radiation will kill some people, namely the selfless workers who have chosen to put themselves in harm's way to get the reactors cooled.

Also, the reactors should not be filled in with concrete. Doing so increases the likelihood of radioactive material being trapped in dust, which has a significantly higher risk of being transported over great distances and falling into food and water sources, than compared to the steam that has been vented.

Here's a couple brilliant articles from The Sun:
Code:
http://www.japanprobe.com/2011/03/17/u-k-newspaper-get-out-of-tokyo-now/

And have a look at this excellent map provided by the New York Times:
[FULLATTACH]422828[/FULLATTACH]
Note how the scale is measured in arbitrary units. The actual measurement is between 0 (no effect on human health) to 1 (no effect on human health). At least one scientist has said that if anyone is concerned about carcinogenic effects, the proper thing is to shut off all the coal factories in the world.

Meanwhile, the World Health Organization has indicated there is no risk of radiation outside the evacuation zone, and that it is safe to visit Japan (as long as you don't mind the rolling blackouts in the Kanto/Tohoku area).
Code:
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/19_04.html

With the situation generally under control and rescue crews working around the clock to help victims, TV stations in Japan have largely returned to their regular programming (though flash messages continue to pop up with any new information). Which is frankly a relief; continually replaying images of destruction only exacerbates fear and causes panic (which creates more problems, like the fuel shortage I mentioned above).

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Actually, you have to give the Japanese people a lot of credit for how they are handling this situation. In many countries their would be pandemonium. Although it is fair to say there might be a certain amount of mass shock involved here.

The Dail Mail would qualify as a tabloid:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Mail

Glassjaw

Miu > all
Apr 30, 2007
The daily mail is basically a tabloid for stupid people who want to be afraid of something new every day... they are utter scum and the sorry consequence that comes with freedom of press (along with The sun and The star).

kunoichi

Occasional Visitor
Mar 26, 2007
The Dail Mail would qualify as a tabloid:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Mail

I don't really know a lot about British newspapers either as I come from another part of europe, but I decided to look up the wiki article regarding tabloid:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabloid

Here is the article in compressed tabloid format, it's always nice to learn a little about the etymology of words: ;)

Prior to compressed tablets, medicine was usually taken in bulkier powder form. While Burroughs Wellcome & Co. were not the first to derive the technology to make compressed tablets, they were the most successful at marketing them, hence the popularity of the term 'tabloid' in popular culture. The connotation of tabloid was soon applied to other small items and to the "compressed" journalism that condensed stories into a simplified, easily-absorbed format. The label of "tabloid journalism" (1901) preceded the smaller sheet newspapers that contained it (1918).

A tabloid is a newspaper with compact page size smaller than broadsheet, although there is no standard for the precise dimensions of a tabloid. The term "tabloid journalism", which tends to emphasize topics such as sensational crime stories, astrology, and TV and celebrity gossip is commonly associated with tabloid sized newspapers, though some respected newspapers such as The Times are in tabloid format, and in the United Kingdom the size is used by nearly all local newspapers. In the United States, it is commonly the format employed by alternative newspapers. As the term tabloid has become synonymous with down-market newspapers in some areas, some small-format papers which claim a higher standard of journalism refer to themselves as compact newspapers instead.

In the United Kingdom, "red tops" are newspapers that have a red masthead, and which share an emphasis on entertainment news, celebrities, sports and political scandals. The red tops are all printed in the tabloid format, and include The Sun, the Daily Mirror and the Daily Star, along with various local and regional newspapers. The term distinguishes the traditional, sensationalist tabloids from former broadsheet newspapers, such as middle-market newspapers the Daily Mail and Daily Express, and more recent converts The Times and The Independent, who in recent years have switched to the tabloid or compact format, whilst maintaining their emphasis on political and financial news and commentary.

Still, I don't know how trustworthy their info is, but at least you can look at the photographs. Now back on topic, I need to check on recent developments as I just woke up.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Holy shit are we ever swinging right now!!!! That last one about 30 seconds ago (although it's still rocking) fucking shook us OFF the edge of the bed!
The nuclear reactor was hit with a level 4 earthquake at 6:57PM according to the Japan Emergency service

Tokyo was hit with a 5

Ibaraki is hit with a 5.6

Chiba is hit with 4

Kanagawa is hit with 3