Why do sharing sites add watermarks to videos?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

stdust

Jul 12, 2008
I know of at least two sites, namely city9x and hotavxxx, who add their watermarks to the videos. I know they want to add some kind of ownership to the videos, but wouldn't it make the sites easy to be taken down by the rightful video companies? Besides, it really is very, very irritating for viewers. City9x adds a prominent url, and hotavxxx's logo is HUGE!

Why don't they leave the videos alone? I hope this practice can be stopped.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
unfortunately we cannot do anything about it, I never know why they do it in the first place, the only thing I can suggest is do a search for a better, sorry I could not be of much better help

stdust

Jul 12, 2008
I avoid hotavxxx and city9x sites like a plague, but their videos are shared by other sites as well. Those unsightly watermarks reduce the enjoyment of the videos. I used to keep a collection of videos, but for videos with logo and watermarks, which is now rampant, I delete them immediately after fast-forwarding through.

Jul 1, 2009
Adding watermarks to a work you did not create is an act of profound hypocrisy. It it trying to claim ownership of something you have no claim to. It a selfish statement: do not copy this video, even though I myself copied it... The classic "do as I say, not as I do". It is childish vandalism and an affront to the sharing attitude that should prevail on forums like this one.

stdust

Jul 12, 2008
My main gripe is that the watermark is too distracting. Sometimes, it's all I see. I also think their re-encoding from the already average rip to insert the url/logo makes the videos even more inferior in image quality.