which is better KMplayer or Divx?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
it totally depends what you need/want your player to do. if you just want to play avi/xvid/divx/mp4/mkv standard definition then VLC is more than enough. if you need more flexibility then i suggest MPC-HC (standalone, not klite). if you watch a lot of High Def h264 content (blu-ray rips etc) then MPC-HC + ffdshow, or Core AVC codec (paid) for superior results.

there really is no such thing as better (which is why elgringo probably replied VLC. also because it is more flexible than either of the players mentioned).

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
An alternative is CCCP, which includes both MPC-HC and ffdshow (and some other commonly used components) in one simple isntallable package with relatively little configuration needed. If you happen to download a lot of anime (where the encoding and subbing communities have very high quality standards), CCCP is highly recommended.

VLC is good purely for its breadth of compatability. As VLC uses its own internal filters/decoders, it will not mess with other players and it is fine to use VLC together with CCCP (MPC-HC + ffdshow). VLC can, however, consume a bit more CPU than MPC-HC + ffdshow (depending on situation).

I personally wouldn't recommend CoreAVC unless absolutely necessary. It can help speed up H.264 decoding (if you don't have a very good CPU), but often at expense of picture quality. It might be different now with the latest versions, but I think it's still a pretty hard sell with good, free alternatives widely available.

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
I personally wouldn't recommend CoreAVC unless absolutely necessary. It can help speed up H.264 decoding (if you don't have a very good CPU), but often at expense of picture quality. It might be different now with the latest versions, but I think it's still a pretty hard sell with good, free alternatives widely available.

i didnt think it was worth paying for either, so i didnt but using it (2.0 version) allows me to skip through 1080p BR rips without the 'melted' lag that ffdshow gave me. as for quality, i honestly cant tell.