What's Your Current PC/Laptop and if you could get a replacement what would it be?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

reingiolt

二マ...
Feb 27, 2007
Believe it or not i'm still using a Compaq Presario 2500 :XD: i can't even remember how long its been with me.
And now i'm currently considering purchasing a Dell xps m1530.

gizmogal

Nov 10, 2006
Using a 4 year old iBook G4 running OS X 3.9... so basically I just missed all the new features, widgits and the like.
I'd love a MacBook, but my college doesn't allow them... so I'm getting the Thinkpad thingy on their program. Eh.

Dietre

Jun 18, 2008
I use Compaq Presario X1000 series, it has been with me for around 4 years (and i'm amazed the battery still running perfectly well)..

for my new laptop, I really don't know what I want..Macbook is good, but since it's white, it has the risk to get "dirty" very easy...

@gizmogal

your college won't allow Macbook? I'm kinda lost here...how can a college can control what laptop their students want to use...(except they have some package for their students to have laptop with cheaper price):casual:

kbryc08

Master Cheef
Super Moderator
Nov 17, 2006
Currently running a system I've built over the years. Since I first built it in 2000, all parts of the computer have been replaced at least once. e6550 slightly oc'ed to 2.7 GHz, 8gb ram, geforce 8600 gts running vista ultimate. I'd prefer a 9800 gtx and faster ram/cpu but I'll settle for more harddrive space.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Shuttle XPC SP35P2 Pro (a nice little compact system) with Q6600 quad-core OC'd to 3ghz, 4gb ram, 640gb+500gb+1tb, nVidia 8600GT, DL/DVD+-RW. It's an amazing system, and it's portable too!

I also have a Sony VAIO S270, 2ghz single-core, 1gb ram, 160gb, Radeon 9700, which I use for general browsing/messaging. It feels quite dated despite reinstalling the OS, so I'm thinking about selling it while I can still get a good return on it (it's in excellent condition). If I can find the money, I'd love to get a Lenovo U110.

My friend just got the XPS M1530 with the 15.4" 1920x1200 screen... it's quite a dream.

reingiolt

二マ...
Feb 27, 2007
regarding the XPS M1530 does anyone know the diff between the normal lcd screen and the led lcd one? the price diff is quite significant so i wanted to know whether it was worth the price.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
LED backlight screens are brighter and consume less power (longer battery), the color is generally better, and overall the screen lasts longer. But if you're not that picky about the display, the regular screen will be just fine.

But as with any device, you should try to look for reviews to see if users have problems with either type of display.

reingiolt

二マ...
Feb 27, 2007
thanks for the help :goodboy:
no one actually commented on the screen in the reviews, the main complaint was the lack of usb ports

gizmogal

Nov 10, 2006
@gizmogal

your college won't allow Macbook? I'm kinda lost here...how can a college can control what laptop their students want to use...(except they have some package for their students to have laptop with cheaper price):casual:

well, they would allow a macbook if it ran XP or something, but my iBook is so old it doesn't have the intel dual processor thing in it (i basically got mine just BEFORE that feature came out... -_-; ). Plus, they give me all the software for the Thinkbook, too, including the ultra expensive MS Office Pro and Photoshop!!! :D

TareKoala

Sleeping off the heat
Jun 21, 2008
I got a 2.5 gigahertz, 1 gig of RAM and 320 hard drive running Linux. Any other Linux users around here? I also got an older Windows PC, but only use it for gaming and work. I am planning on building a newer one later this year. I'll be needing at least 1 tb hard drive and 2 gig RAM. But I guess at the rate I'm collecting stuff, by the end of next year I'll need at least another 2 tb of hard drive!

By the way, I think Mac intolerance at college should be a crime punishable by guillotine!

reingiolt

二マ...
Feb 27, 2007
my faithful Presario 2500 has finally retired and coming to replace it is my new HP Pavilion dv2712tx. the specs aren't as good as the xps m1530 i wanted but oh well. my parents actually already bought it weeks before for my birthday. anyone here own the same unit?