What same-name brand product have you tried in Japan and how did it compare?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

InvalidUsername08

Mar 23, 2010
Japanese chocolate (to me) is similar to British chocolate and is much much smoother and better tasting.

McDonald's, yeah, had to try it for the shits and giggles of it...forget the hamburgers, get the Ebi (shrimp) fillets. F'n ROCK, or at least the ones in Nagoya did.

Ok, Pepsi Nex...yeah, can suck my ass. First thing I had off my plane and I amost puked onto the subway tracks. I am a huge pepsi fan and since it LOOKED like Pepsi Max, how much different can it taste?? OMG gag

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
I completely disagree with the chocolate. Maybe you like waxy semi-sweet chocolate that only half tastes like chocolate but I like my chocolate sweet, milky and easy to stomach. The chocolate here blows. Maybe you were visiting and it was unique but after not having Canadian chocolate for a hell of a long time makes you realize how much J-chocolate sucks.

As for another product, I order items routinely from dealextreme such as filters when mine become too scratched up and while the Japanese lens filters are high quality, they are also often ¥5-9,000 while those from China do just as good of a job and run me $4 per.

Ceiling Cat

Oct 25, 2008
I completely disagree with the chocolate. Maybe you like waxy semi-sweet chocolate that only half tastes like chocolate...

^^Very true. Meiji has nothing on good old Cadbury or even Hershey milk chocolate. They had MOS Burger here in Hawaii for a while, but it was gone before long and I couldn't really remember it enough to compare to the one in Mejiro. Some of their condoms are thinner, that's a plus. Tools, hardware, and adhesives? No, I'll stick to American-made for that. Yes, I have a bottle of ボンド glue on my shelf, but there are so many better epoxies I can get here. The average Japanese guy is not a do-it-yourselfer like some Americans. For airsoft guns, Taiwan can churn out items almost as good as anything KSC or Tokyo Marui can put out, albeit with just a little less refinement. I don't trust the Chinese made stuff though. Poor QC.

But heaven forbid I go on a forum full of J-fanboys and say that something is not superior despite the fact that it was made in Japan...

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
How do I thank twice? Ceiling Cat deserves it for the last line.

roundeyedevil

Jun 8, 2010
pizza! had to try it, went to a pizza store in ameyoko, expecting americanized pizza, and found great japan flavored, yet italian style pizza pie...

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Great story, bro.

imported_the_laughing_man

Ritalin Addict!
Jan 15, 2010
I am not a chocolate fan as I like savoury or jelly/chewy sweets and I prefer them here as they have more flavours and are generally nicer and don't all taste the same, plus ice-cream is nicer and again has more flavours. Don't get me started on crisps.

However I miss sausages as they are not the same as in England and I miss Twiglets as you can't get them here.

Aug 22, 2010
KFC and McDonalds was completely different from the ones in Canada. It was just incredibly delicious in Japan compared to the crap we have here.
Same goes with Subway.
Japan's got more variety of fresher ingredients, and new recipes too.