What OS are you using?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

What OS are you using?

• Windows 9x, Me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows 2000, NT

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Windows XP

Votes: 248 42.9%
  • Windows Vista

Votes: 76 13.1%
  • Windows 7

Votes: 173 29.9%
  • Windows Server

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Mac

Votes: 37 6.4%
  • Linux

Votes: 32 5.5%
  • Multiple OSes

Votes: 8 1.4%

• Total voters

vonelemental

Jun 11, 2008
Windows XP sp2, stable and light, haven't tried vista or 7 though :evillaugh:

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
Win 7 Ultimate x64 (en) dual boot with 7 Home Premium x86 (jp). i think i agree with the masses that those happy on xp should stay there, at least until support stops. i planned to move daily computing to linux when i upgraded my computer but ubuntu wouldnt run my hardware to my satisfaction. if you want to try 7, why buy what you can take? (i dont recommend upgrading from vista anyway) at least i am off my no-nuts laptop and therefore free from vista.........its a step.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Win 7 Ultimate x64 (en) dual boot with 7 Home Premium x86 (jp).
Just curious if you do that for any specific reason. 7 Ultimate comes with all the files necessary for international support, and with Japanese IME and localization set up on my "EN" version, I've encountered no compatability problems with the number of Japanese apps I use.

Is there a specific app that simply won't run (correctly) on anything but JP-only versions of Windows?

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
Just curious if you do that for any specific reason

to be more exact the japanese/english part was inconsequential. i got x86 (OEM) when i got my computer here in japan and set up everything with that originally. after that i got ultimate x64 and put it on as a dual boot to test/make sure it would run correctly etc. also i have a couple of programs that dont have support on 64 so, to make a short answer long, no. its just the x86/x64 thing, japanese was just the default language.

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
I added "Multiple OSes" because it's silly to think that people nowadays are limited or restricted to a single OS. I have computers at work, home etc that are of different specs & OSes. It really should have been a multiple choice poll.

Rhinosaur

Outside Context Problem
Sep 23, 2007
Win 7 x64 Ultimate here, but there will always be a special place in my heart for XP64!

rikijpn

Nov 12, 2009
The box said windows xp or above, so Linux was the only choice I had.

Have a script to auto-download rapidshare (not with greasymonkey, plain wget), it's light/fast as hell, never had any problems with any codecs, the best thing ever happened to my after my Japanese girlfriend^^.
Debian rules.

Jul 1, 2009
Win 7 x64 Ultimate here, but there will always be a special place in my heart for XP64!

Actually, you can't keep XP64 in your heart because you don't have the right drivers... :lols:

Seriously, that OS was half-baked at best. :eek:y: They've basically dropped all support for quite some time now.

Syobon

(´・ω・`)
Dec 22, 2009
When I tested XP64 for the last time, seemed was running an old Mac os, so many programs refused to run. :silence:
it still supported by MS though... it a misinterpretation, actually only the Intanium version was completely abandoned...

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Microsoft still supports XP x64 out of legacy, but the vast majority of 3rd party software and hardware vendors have all but given up on it, and have moved onto Vista and 7 x64. Some people might not need very much by way of specific drivers or programs, but then XP x64 offers little advantage for basic computing over regular XP (or even Vista). Plus, getting 32bit programs to work reliably on XP x64 has been hit-or-miss.

Given that Vista and 7 x64 have significantly more robust (and reliable) support for 64bit (as well running 32bit apps/drivers natively in the OS), there's little reason to stick with XP x64, aside from the hassle of reinstalling the OS (or specific admin or network setups that require XP x64). My vote, in the Windows world, still goes to 7 x64; the vast OS improvements in speed and stability greatly outweigh the 2-3 hours it takes to reinstall the OS.