What is the best torrent program to download?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

xioda

Feb 24, 2007
I need to know what torrent program is the best.
My azureus is acting weird lately since i open it it freezes on me every time so now i have to use bittorrent which is slow. What other torrent program are good to download fast? any suggestion?

kbryc08

Master Cheef
Super Moderator
Nov 17, 2006
Utorrent! It uses waaaay less resources as Azureus and has all the same features iirc.

I used to use bitcomet but after I read about the controversy regarding the way Bitcomet works (regarding superseeding) I dropped Bitcomet and found utorrent.
I don't know if the info regarding bitcomet cheating w/ regarding superseeding is true, I haven't heard one bad thing about utorrent so thats what I use.

Utorrent plz

akuma2002

Moe is my life!
Nov 8, 2006
I use bitcomet since it can handle torrents with japanese characters.

Sarasa

Lost In The Web
Feb 11, 2007
I use Azureus (3.0.0.7_B8) + the Safepeer plugin, and no prob with it :casual:

But, i have configured the safepeer plug to load the IP list after azureus is loaded.

In the "safepeer.properties"
Code:
# If true the plugin will be loaded asynchronously and won't block Azureus' startup.
# However if peers are connected before the loading is finished, some bad IPs may not
# be blocked as the filter will not yet be up to date.
enable.async.loading=[B][COLOR="Red"]true[/COLOR][/B]

fhc

BRASIL, Rio de Janeiro .
Dec 17, 2006
utorrent is the better always.

of course, utorrent works with japanese characters too and utorrent is much more better than BITCOMET and AZUREUS.

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
I would recommend making sure that your version of Azureus is up to date. it could resolve the freezes that you're experiencing.
desioner

bobuild01

Feb 17, 2007
I use Azureus 2.5.0.4 and have no problems loading japanese characters. Sometimes for Chinese I have to tell it how to download the file tho. Then again I have everything set to Japanese anyway, except formats unless I need it to play some games. Sun java has to be kept up to date.

Evo

^_^
Jan 26, 2007
I use Azureus and have no problems with it, and as im currently using a mac i dont have much choice....:dunno:

note: Though it should be noted that µtorrent has recently merged with bitTorrent Inc.(which has ties with the MPAA) and gone closed source...

baka324

O-Overdrive
Feb 28, 2007
I say Azureus...But hey, what do I know, I've only used the original torrent program, Bitcomet and Azureus.
Maybe If utorrent had similar features that Azureus has, I'll switch over. (I really don't know much about it.)

kbryc08

Master Cheef
Super Moderator
Nov 17, 2006
Utorrent has everything Azureus has except the client filtering (which you can still do by messing with the ipfilter file) plus it not nearly as cpu intensive as Azureus (which is why I use it) =3

Denamic

Swedish Meat
Staff member
Super Moderator
Former Staff
Dec 7, 2006
CPU intensive?
Azureus has been called bad for many things, mostly its memory consumption..
But CPU intensive is a thing it's not.

Vanilla Azureus versus uTorrent is pretty much the same in terms of CPU usage.
Sure, you can increase the CPU need with plugins, but plugins are a thing uTorrent doesn't have.

Honestly though, if your torrent client uses too much CPU for you, you need to upgrade or rethink your priorities,
because CPU is one of the least bottlenecks on a computer today.

kbryc08

Master Cheef
Super Moderator
Nov 17, 2006
My mistake, I was referring to memory consumption.

Denamic

Swedish Meat
Staff member
Super Moderator
Former Staff
Dec 7, 2006
Yea, I'll give you that; it does use a lot of memory.
Pretty much the only thing it has going against it.

Arkard

Vampire Hentai Lover
Dec 11, 2006
Well, i use utorrent, is small, very small, has everything that a torrent program must have, and the new version has the WebUI, this is the best program i think :goodjob:

akibakenji

Akiba Kei
Mar 25, 2007
Utorrent! It uses waaaay less resources as Azureus and has all the same features iirc.

I used to use bitcomet but after I read about the controversy regarding the way Bitcomet works (regarding superseeding) I dropped Bitcomet and found utorrent.
I don't know if the info regarding bitcomet cheating w/ regarding superseeding is true, I haven't heard one bad thing about utorrent so thats what I use.

Utorrent plz

Agreed. Best torrent program ever!:goodjob:

Rhamnousia

Mar 25, 2007
Utorrent has everything Azureus has except the client filtering (which you can still do by messing with the ipfilter file) plus it not nearly as cpu intensive as Azureus (which is why I use it) =3

how you add client filtering in utorrent? i have ipfilter (from emule) but i had no idea how mess the list :/
:bow-pray:

Holzy

Mar 7, 2007
I just switched to utorrent from Azureus. The utorrent seems to be a little "jumpy" when it is open but fine when its minimized. They both download the same though