What are some "explicit" adult anime being made in the early-90s?

nekovision

Jan 30, 2013
What I mean by "explicit" is that there are scenes that display genitals or anything hardcore. I noticed that almost all of the early-90s adult titles are softcore stuff such as U-Jin's tales series where genitals were not drawn.
It's not until the mid-90s Japan started to animate some explicit and hardcore titles but still only a few of them.

Don't know why there were little to no hardcore titles back in the early-90s. I remember watching some mid and late-80s adult titles there were actually some explicit series such as Urotsukidoji, Guy Double Target and Cream Lemon series, but not anymore of those since 1990.

Any informations?

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
Yeah the period between years 1986 and 1994 was really poor in terms of explicit titles, especially if you compare what has been done since 1994 and the beginning of Pink Pineapple productions.
In 1989 started the "Otaku murderer" affair (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsutomu_Miyazaki) and this meant that most companies kept a low profile for the years after concerning explicit anime material.

If I take the period 1990-1993 as you mentioned it, I can still find a bunch of titles:

CENSORED

David no Hoshi (5 episodes, no subs) which is a wrecktrain story of someone obsessed with torturing pretty girls, but the animation is really bad

Sexy Animerama (4 episodes, no subs), a mix of Idol live action and explicit adult anime, not that exciting

Lyon Flare (2 episodes, commercial release) episode 1 from 1986 and episode 2 from 1990, episode 2 has still one mosaic

Adventure Kid (3 episodes, commercial release) episodes 1 and 2 are still censored, and episode 3 is not explicit

Angel (1 episode, fansub by Erobeat) the original OVA was rather explicit, not to be confused with 'Shin Angel'

Telekura no Himitsu (2 episodes, no subs) some strange semi-documentary story about telephone clubs in Japan

The Urotsukidoji sequels:
Urotsukidoji Matai Den or 'Legend of the Demon Womb' (2 episodes, commercial release)
Urotsukidoji Mirai hen or 'Return of the Overfiend' (4 episodes, commercial release without subs, fansub by Hentai-Palace)
Urotsukidoji Houhou hen or 'Inferno Road' (3 episodes, commercial release without subs, fansub by Hentai-Palace)

Only the movie edition of 'Demon Womb' has no censorship, but no subs, otherwise they all have censorship as color dots.

I also have to mention Cream Lemon, as some episodes were released in the period 1990-1993 (6 episodes are concerned, none of them subbed yet)

UNCENSORED

Guy (2 episodes, commercial release) ep 1 from 1988, ep 2 from 1992, though ep 2 has nothing explicit

Ogenki Clinic (3 episodes, commercial release) some scenes are rather explicit, only episode 3 exists with subs though

The Daiei productions:
Youjuu Kyoushitsu/Demon Beast (6 episodes, commercial release)
Inju Gakuen/La Blue Girl (6 episodes, commercial release) the current version has many edits

In principle you can find all the titles which weren't licensed in this forum. :study:

nekovision

Jan 30, 2013
Thanks for the info of some of those super-obscure adult OVAs. :)

I didn't know that the two GUY OVA episodes were released separately in 80s and 90s. No wonder ep2 was so in-explicit compares to ep1 because of that murder incident. :/

I just watched all six episodes of Demon Beast but to my disappointment only ep 5 and 6 has some explicit elements. :(

Also, could you list some "explicit" adult OVAs (both licensed/uncensored and unlicensed/censored) from the 80s as well, just before that douche-bag otaku incident in 1989? I only know the "famous" ones I mentioned in my first post.

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
Yes Demon Beast is not that explicit, it's kinda ironic if you consider the fact that it symbolized the whole "Tentacle Anime" genre together with Urotsukidoji.

Well about the 80s titles, I would make a separation between 1984-1985 part and 1986-1989, because the first period was the origin of the whole thing of course. It spawned a flood of so-called "lolicon" anime, most of them being mediocre (saving Cream Lemon and the Super Adult Animation series from the disasters). In fact 99% of the titles released during that period are explicit, so just look for anidb and databases sites.

For 1986-1989 what do we have? No much indeed. There was a trend in that period, of sexual parodies of japanese fairy tales or classic literature. Probably because it was less controversial than having contemporary settings.

CENSORED

Violence Jack 2: Evil Town (1 of 3 episodes, commercial release, without subs I think, and some releases are edited) from the classic Go Nagai manga. Only the second episode of the series is truly explicit, and that one is an incredible mix of gorefeast and hardcore sex, at the level of Urotsukidoji for the visual shock experience. Western releases kept the censorship, but it has been found that there is an uncensored release, a Hong Kong Video CD. It merged episodes 1 & 2, and made a bunch of editing on the way, removing some sex scenes unfortunately.

Kaguya Hime: Taketori Monogatari (1 episode, no subs) with some live footage of bamboo trees in the beginning and end, otherwise a sexual retelling of the japanese folk tale of the Bamboo Princess

Classical Sex Zone (3 episodes, no subs) another perverted retelling of japanese classics, only one episode is available on the internet (inspired by Tale of Genji)

Plus an endless list of Cream Lemon episodes lol (exactly 21 in that period, some have been subbed now)

UNCENSORED

Urotsukidoji original series (3 episodes, commercial release) THE ONE AND ONLY :joker:

Battle Can Can (1 episode, commercial release) if you like deaths by dildo explosion and ugly character designs

Some titles were almost explicit, but failed close to it

Body Jack (1 episode, fansub by BOX) about body switch and abuses you can do with it

Balthus: Tia's Radiance (1 episode, commercial release) literally a parody of the Laputa movie of Ghibli fame, there are rumors that actual Ghibli staff participated in that episode (and were fired afterward lol)

Pink no Curtain (1 episode, no subs) sister complex story, but you must read the manga to have a real conclusion

Enshou Nihon Mukashi Banashi (1 episode, no subs) another folk tales thing, I forgot if it has explicit moments, if yes it should be censored. It has a bit of live action at the beginning

Manga Edo Ero Banashi (5 episodes, no subs) yet another folk tales adaptation, see previous entry