What about usenet?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

suntorymalts

Mar 17, 2007
Im not so eager in techspecs,but isnt it easier to post on usenet,post .nzb links here,then to keep a toorent open for a long time?
I mean,instead of seeding for days,just up the file once in usenet,then ppl can dl it at full speed...
Dont get me wrong;its not complaining or anything...i just use usenet since a year,and i get the files on some nzb indexing sites...
but have not really a big clue,how those things really work...

thx for nfo:bow-pray:

ccwder

Hmm...
Feb 27, 2007
I love usenet myself but I think the biggest problem is that a lot of people don't have access to a server with their ISP and don't want to have to pay for a premium account with another provider. Also torrents are easier to keep alive since a user only needs to seed the torrent again rather than upload a new copy to usenet.

suntorymalts

Mar 17, 2007
I love usenet myself but I think the biggest problem is that a lot of people don't have access to a server with their ISP and don't want to have to pay for a premium account with another provider

agree with that..i myself am paying a provider..its currently about 19bucks a month,unlimited dloads.

comparing the bluray/hddvd rips and dvdr i get a month..my weekly dl might be about 20gb...its worth the money..
but not really the same spirit of p2p i admit...
On the other hand;
a releaser can up the file on usenet,some are getting it there,and help seeding thru bt or mule...

I would do that,but still need to get thru my router/firewall issues with utorrent or the mule..

I guess that lazyness and the full speed brought me to usenet...

:perfectplan:

crude1

Apr 6, 2008
Hi. I'm another refugee from Javtalk.
It's very efficient for someone to upload to Usenet once, then everyone can download from their server.
The problem is that a free server from an ISP might keep files for only 20 days or so, a cheap server ($4/month) might keep them for 70 days, and the most expensive (Giganews) 200 days. Overall, torrents are better for most people.