Whale meat?

chippy

Satyagrahi
Feb 10, 2008
Full disclosure and disclaimer: I'm a vegetarian: I *don't eat animal flesh of any kind.

I felt it was important to confess to that at the very beginning of this post, not because I'm here to preach (meat is damned tasty, after all, isn't it?) or to persuade (our species is goin' down hard soon, and abstaining from carnivore tendencies isn't--in my opinion--going to prevent it) or even to indict. My curiosity is much more focused than that: I've never eaten whale meat, and I'm merely curious about the alleged "taste" qualities mentioned in a recent CommonDreams.Org article.

If you've had it, I'd like to read your opinions. If you live in Japan, I'd VERY much like to read your comments on the popularity (and its change over time, if you've been able to observe such) of eating whale meat.

The original CD article can be found here if you'd like to read it before posting a response, which I highly recommend, but won't insist upon. The article--while informative to me--is nothing special, but hey, it's a direct HTTP link, so why not take a peek?

Thank you so very much in advance for your considered replies.

* My reasons for vegetarianism are primarily ecological, but with a strong personal-health component, given animals' food-chain stature, environmental pollution, and modern animal husbandry practices...in case you're curious. Curiosity is a good thing. Also, I am a botanist and an atheist: does that round out the picture well enough? ;)

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
A vegetarian botanist......now that is taking you are what you eat to a new level.

Actually I find this a rather interesting topic and just want to see what input it recieves.

joeystarr

Jul 7, 2008
I've been living in Japan for more than 2 years and from what I know and what I've gathered by talking with japanese people, I would say that the article sums it pretty well.

One of my manager (must be around 50) keeps talking about how he used to eat whale at school and how he cannot forgive america for telling Japan not to eat whale on ecological ground while they themselves don't want to sign the Kyoto protocol while they're the number one polluter in the world... I cannot help but thinking that those two are kinda unrelated...

All the young people (under 35) I've talked to either have tasted it once or twice or haven't tasted it at all... Anyway, no whale meat fanatics. Although some of them said that indeed they don't like the fact that someones tells them that they must no do something, almost all of them wouldn't give a damn if you couldn't get whale anymore in Japan.

Since I was curious, I ate whale meat like 2 years ago... It was somewhat expensive (maybe I felt that coz I was broke at the time) and although not bad, not really extraordinary either. It was whale sashimi and I was mostly surprised by the fact that it tasted like beef. When you think about it, it stands to reason but... I thought it would taste more fishy like. anyway, ate whale once, would not go out of my way for getting some again...

Totally unrelated but I was talking about vegetarism with some friends the other day and the fact that there are lot of vegetarian in the US or in UK while there are relatively few in France or in Japan might be linked to the fact that people who come from countries who have old traditions about food might be less incline to become vegetarian... probably has nothing to do with anything, just musing on it...
anyway good night to you all

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Never had whale meat in Japan, but had blubber and whale meat when in Nunavut back in Canada. Can't say I enjoy the taste, but I'm glad I tried it. Same with horse sashimi. Meh... just... meh.

chippy

Satyagrahi
Feb 10, 2008
whale tastes like fatty beef.

Well, that would make evolutionary sense...I'd bet hippopotamus meat tastes surprisingly like "fatty beef" whale meat: they both evolved from a common ancestor in the same mammalian order that includes cattle.

I guess some animals "taste like chicken," some like beef, and the rest like either fish or pork. It all comes down to the composition of muscle tissue. Guess which one humans taste like? I've heard it's pork. Oink, oink!

Thanks to all who fulfilled (and fed) my curiosity!