US military in Okinawa tightens discipline

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
The US military in Okinawa, Japan, has decided to impose a curfew and other restrictions on its personnel following the arrest of an American civilian base worker suspected of abandoning the body of a woman.

NHK obtained information that all US military personnel and civilian base employees in Okinawa are required to return to their bases by midnight. They are also banned from drinking, buying alcohol and holding parties outside US bases. The measures will be effective for 30 days starting Friday.

US military sources in Okinawa say the chief of US forces in Okinawa, Marines Lieutenant General Lawrence Nicholson, decided on the measures to express condolences for the victim.

The sources say the measures will be imposed to all military personnel and civilian base workers who are subject to the Japan-US Status of Forces Agreement.
Overnight stays outside the bases will be allowed only by service members and civilian base workers whose homes are located off-base.

Nicholson is scheduled to hold a news conference on Saturday to explain the measures.

Even after the suspected murder case, a US Navy petty officer was arrested in Okinawa on suspicion of drinking and driving on Sunday.

The prefectural government of Okinawa and the central government in Tokyo have renewed demands the US military adopt effective measures to prevent recurrence of similar crimes.

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
The US military in Okinawa, Japan, has decided to impose a curfew and other restrictions on its personnel following the arrest of an American civilian base worker suspected of abandoning the body of a woman.

NHK obtained information that all US military personnel and civilian base employees in Okinawa are required to return to their bases by midnight. They are also banned from drinking, buying alcohol and holding parties outside US bases. The measures will be effective for 30 days starting Friday.

US military sources in Okinawa say the chief of US forces in Okinawa, Marines Lieutenant General Lawrence Nicholson, decided on the measures to express condolences for the victim.

The sources say the measures will be imposed to all military personnel and civilian base workers who are subject to the Japan-US Status of Forces Agreement.
Overnight stays outside the bases will be allowed only by service members and civilian base workers whose homes are located off-base.

Nicholson is scheduled to hold a news conference on Saturday to explain the measures.

Even after the suspected murder case, a US Navy petty officer was arrested in Okinawa on suspicion of drinking and driving on Sunday.

The prefectural government of Okinawa and the central government in Tokyo have renewed demands the US military adopt effective measures to prevent recurrence of similar crimes.

In the army there is the saying that it takes only one of you fuck shit up for everybody else. I imagine the Marines and Navy have a similar saying too. The curfews may not bother the troop that much except on weekends because company formations are usually early in the morning. But the no alcohol for a month will piss off a lot of troops and probably the bars and stores that in the towns that sell alcohol. Troops love to drink.Military barracks after COB are almost like college frat houses with the amount of drinking and partying that goes on.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I probably should have updated this, they lifted some of the restrictions already. To tell the truth the whole attitude of the people of Okinawa pisses me off. They act like the only crimes committed on the island is by someone to do with the US military. They show no gratitude for our presence and I am not so sure I would have a problem with the US pulling back to Guam and out of Japan, 7th Fleet and all (elements of other US Fleets have joined the 7th Fleet as of late).

I read the Japanese news online and there is no shortage of horrific crimes there. They are human just like we are. I am sorry for the victims of all crimes but blaming everything on the armed forces protecting your sovereignty instead of working with them and supporting them is counterproductive at best. Under Japans' surrender terms our forces have more of a right to be there than the residents in Okinawa themselves. That may sound harsh but I am pretty sure it is true. The fact that we are constantly bending over backwards to get along with them really comes off as making us look like an unwanted stepchild. Japan has plenty of enemies, maybe they should treat their friends better..... if they want to keep them.

Last edited:
Reactions: EzikialRage

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
U.S. Navy lifts temporary drinking ban on its sailors

TOKYO —

The U.S. Navy lifted a temporary drinking ban on its 18,600 sailors in Japan on Friday after a senior officer said personnel had shown they understand how alcohol-fueled bad behaviour can damage relations with the Japanese community.

The drinking ban was imposed 11 days ago after Japanese police arrested a U.S. sailor on the southern island of Okinawa for drink-driving following a car crash that injured two people.

That incident came as U.S. forces were already trying to repair relations in Japan after an American civilian working for the military was arrested on suspicion of murdering of a 20-year-old Japanese woman and dumping her body.

“The temporary restriction on alcohol was not intended to be a punishment, nor was it ever intended to be permanent,” Rear Admiral Matthew Carter, commander of the U.S. Navy in Japan, said in a statement.

“We took this pause to train and reflect on the dangers of alcohol abuse,” he said.

Sailors will be allowed to drink alcohol on U.S. bases there and in private residences outside, but not in off-base bars.

Anger among Okinawa residents at the U.S. military presence threatens to derail the relocation the U.S. Marines’ Futenma air base to a less populous part of the island, a plan agreed in 1995 after the r*** of a Japanese schoolgirl by U.S. military personnel sparked huge demonstrations.

Okinawa’s governor and many residents want the Marines off the island. A demonstration against the U.S. presence planned for Sunday in the capital Naha could attract thousands of people.

Reactions: kjamc1982

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
I probably should have updated this, they lifted some of the restrictions already. To tell the truth the whole attitude of the people of Okinawa pisses me off. They act like the only crimes committed on the island is by someone to do with the US military. They show no gratitude for our presence and I am not so sure I would have a problem with the US pulling back to Guam and out of Japan, 7th Fleet and all (elements of other US Fleets have joined the 7th Fleet as of late).

I read the Japanese news online and there is no shortage of horrific crimes there. They are human just like we are. I am sorry for the victims of all crimes but blaming everything on the armed forces protecting your sovereignty instead of working with them and supporting them is counterproductive at best. Under Japans' surrender terms our forces have more of a right to be there than the residents in Okinawa themselves. That may sound harsh but I am pretty sure it is true. The fact that we are constantly bending over backwards to get along with them really comes off as making us look like an unwanted stepchild. Japan has plenty of enemies, maybe they should treat their friends better..... if they want to keep them.

Many act like that in South Korea too.I remember being on guard duty or the camp on lockdown whenever there were protests. Usually idiotic college kids under the delusion that the North Korean dictator wants peace and too young to know the horrors of the Korean war. Our troops are basically human shields or hostages in those countries used to deter China.North Korea and other countries from attacking.

Reactions: Ceewan

dldude99

May 4, 2014
The fact that we are constantly bending over backwards to get along with them really comes off as making us look like an unwanted stepchild.

Is "bending over backwards" referring to a making a 30 day drinking ban in response to the r*** and murder of a girl, or something else?

Okinawans suffered under Imperial Japan, and then got stuck with most of the foreign military bases for the next 70 years. Although I wouldn't blame people for protesting over r*** and murder, its worth noting that this is a sentiment held by a lot of Okinawans, and isn't representative of Japanese sentiment.

Under Japans' surrender terms our forces have more of a right to be there than the residents in Okinawa themselves

If many soldiers share that attitude its no wonder there's a bit of tension.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
First of all, Okinawa is not a country. It is a part of Japan and was annexed in 1879. Secondly, Japan surrendered unconditionally. Familarize yourself with the terms of the Treaty of San Francisco and mainly the Security Treaty Between the United States and Japan signed in 1951.

The agreement contained five articles, which dictated that Japan grant the United States the territorial means for it to establish a military presence in the Far East. Moreover, the accord stated that Japan be prohibited from providing foreign powers any bases or any military-related rights without the consent of the United States.

Thirdly there were large demonstrations in Tokyo in support of the Okinawan demonstrations that want the removal of the US bases.

Importantly, try putting yourself not just in the Okinawans shoes but in the shoes of the US service men and women who never did anything to the Japanese people and have been responders to every natural disaster and nothing but helpful to the Japanese people in general. Guess what? A lot of them don't want to be there either. It isn't their choice. They are soldiers and sailors and go where they are told. There is something like 50,000 of them there and no, they aren't all angels.

Thanks so much for your comment! your opinion was appreciated even if I didn't happen to agree with it.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
US forces in Okinawa extend off-base drinking ban

The US military in Okinawa, southwestern Japan, says it will extend a ban on off-base drinking by all its personnel for another 4 days until next Tuesday.

Military officers said on Friday that all US personnel and civilian employees in Okinawa are required to return to the bases or homes by midnight.

The rules were introduced on May 27th as a gesture of mourning after the murder of a 20-year-old Japanese woman. An American civilian worker at US Kadena Air Base was arrested in connection with the case.

US military officers say regular rules will be basically restored after next Tuesday. This means off-base drinking will be allowed until midnight and all US military and civilian personnel in Okinawa are required to return to the bases or homes by 1 AM.

Critics say crimes and accidents have occurred under the regular rules and doubt they are enough to prevent a recurrence.

Even under the blanket ban on off-base drinking, US Navy Petty Officer was arrested in the prefecture for an alleged drunk driving accident that injured 2 people.

dldude99

May 4, 2014
I know about the treaties, but people are just protesting that 60 year old treaties should be updated. Making no judgement as to whether the protesters' opinions are correct or not, they believe the bases create a threat of r***. They shouldn't be barred from protesting to remove that threat because they lost a war 70 years ago. Surrender conditions aren't forcibly upheld for eternity between cooperative neighbors, especially if there is perceived damage.
Really I think the Japanese government and American government's goal is exactly the same. They want the bases there because China and North Korea, but they have to keep local sentiment under control. The bases have already been there for a long time despite protests.

I don't think wanting the bases removed necessarily means any ill-will towards all American military. I don't know what each individual is thinking but in my mind, a bad soldier isn't just like a bad civilian. If you have a daughter there's always the threat she'll get attacked by a civilian. If she's lucky she might fight and get away. It happens. Attackers wimp out as well. If she's taken martial arts classes her chances might be higher. If the attacker is a burly trained killer with a combat knife then whether she lives or dies is completely up to the soldier. Not everyone on base is a bad person, but out of 50,000 someone probably is and the stationing of trained killers next to town means that risk is there. And if that wasn't bad enough the killer was put there partly with their own tax yen in order to protect their sovereignty. They just want the bases not right next door. I actually think its important the bases stay in Okinawa, but I get how they feel.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
U.S. sailors in Japan once more allowed on the town after bar ban lifted

Bars near U.S. naval bases in Japan expect business to return to normal after an in-town drinking ban for sailors was lifted Tuesday morning.

In a statement, the U.S. Navy said it lifted the ban imposed on June 6 for all personnel, saying alcohol awareness training is complete and off-duty sailors are permitted once more to decompress in bars away from naval bases.

However, a 10 p.m. cut-off time will be in force and individuals of lower rank must be accompanied by a designated drinking buddy, an expansion of a system that earlier applied only to those on temporary assignment to Japan.

An employee who answered the phone Tuesday afternoon at Buffalo’s, a bar near the U.S. naval base in Yokosuka, Kanagawa Prefecture, said business has been difficult and “kind of boring” during the three-week ban.

“We don’t see any navy here right now, but we heard that they can come out so we are expecting to get them in the evening,” he said.

The navy imposed the nationwide ban on alcohol after several drunken-driving incidents, including one in Okinawa in which a sailor drove on the wrong side of the road and struck two cars, injuring two people.

Commanders in Okinawa are on edge following the apparent murder of a local woman. A U.S. civilian contractor has been arrested in the case.

Street protests indicate the incident has fueled anti-U.S. sentiment. It also drew sharp words from Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in a face-to-face encounter with U.S. President Barack Obama in May.

The U.S. Navy said all sailors have now received training on responsible drinking from their unit commanders. Civilian employees and family members are requested to observe the 10 p.m. cut-off time voluntarily, although orders of this kind cannot be enforced for nonmilitary individuals.

“I’m encouraged that our sailors have embraced the remediation training and understand the role they play in the alliance with Japan,” Vice Adm. Joseph Aucoin, the commander of the U.S. 7th Fleet, said in the statement. “We’re on a good start, a good trend, and I want this to continue.”

Separately, Jiji Press reported Monday that Japanese officials aim to soften protections given to civilian workers under by the 1960 Status of Forces Agreement, a pact that limits Japanese jurisdiction over offenders depending on the employment status of the suspect and when the crime occurred.

Washington has said it is cooperating in reviewing the text, although discussions are thought to be at an early stage and the U.S. side has not said it will consent to changing the jurisdiction of civilian personnel.

Reactions: kjamc1982

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I know about the treaties, but people are just protesting that 60 year old treaties should be updated. Making no judgement as to whether the protesters' opinions are correct or not, they believe the bases create a threat of r***. They shouldn't be barred from protesting to remove that threat because they lost a war 70 years ago. Surrender conditions aren't forcibly upheld for eternity between cooperative neighbors, especially if there is perceived damage.
Really I think the Japanese government and American government's goal is exactly the same.

I don't disagree with everything you said but there are some points I do.

Removing the bases won't stop crime on Okinawa. There are a lot of reasons that people in Okinawa want the US bases gone but reducing crime is just an excuse they are using....and a bad one. Mainly they just want more recognition from mainland Japan and better representation there.

The surrender conditions for all American Indian Nations are still being upheld and autonomy is not something they should ever expect. Those surrender conditions have been modified over the years but are much older than those America has with Japan. Whether the same applies to Japan or not is an American political decision not an Okinawan one. While it is likely that America intends to withdraw eventually from Japan and hand over complete sovereignity to Japan I would not think that likely in the very near future. So basically Okinawa is wasting its' breath.

Japan and America have different goals. America is a world superpower and Japan is not. I am not trying to diminish Japan in anyway it is just that we obviously have more considerations than they do. China doesn't have to be anyones' enemy....ever. As a matter of fact North Korea is the biggest threat to instability in that region. Just how much China has to do with that is mere speculation. Nonetheless trade is the most important factor here and a large military force in that region helps the US protect their maritime interests as well as their trade partners....which includes Japan. The region around Indonesia is one of the most active high sea piracy areas in the world and policing that is one of the 7th Fleets (based in Japan/Okinawa) main goals. In that aspect we actually try to work with China. For all their posturing, China relies on trade as much as anyone and war in that region would isolate them from that most important lifeline. This does not mean it won't happen, China is unpredictable at best but it does mean they are not a likely or immediate threat to anyone, (it would be nice if they tried to act more like that though).

Reactions: CoolKevin