US freezes Japan gangsters' financial assets

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
This looks like a good thing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17150847
The US has targeted organised crime by freezing the financial assets of two groups - Japan's Yamaguchi-gumi yakuza group and the Brothers' Circle.

The Department of the Treasury said it was also freezing the assets of key members, including Yamaguchi-gumi leader Kenichi Shinoda.

This is the first time measures have been imposed following a presidential executive order last year.

No details were given on the value of the frozen assets.

President Barack Obama issued the executive order in 2011 to "target and disrupt significant transnational criminal organisations".

Under the order members of crime organisations could be identified, their assets within US jurisdiction frozen and their supporters prohibited from doing any transactions in the US.

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
Really?

Now how about "freezing the assets" of the many puppet regimes, proxy soldiers and so called "terrorist"-organizations the US keeps as their remote pets?

Hypocrisy at its best.:joker:

No thanks,we like having proxy soldiers and so called terrorist organizations in your country.It gives your tin foil hat wearing ass something to spew about about America or AmeriKKKa as you sometimes refer to it as. Funny how you avoid posting what country you are from seeing how you always like to spew retarded anti-American drivel every chance you get. I guess people who like to throw stones don't want the location of their glass house found.

gyoza ramen & a beer

Feb 20, 2009
Now how about "freezing the assets" of the many puppet regimes, proxy soldiers and so called "terrorist"-organizations the US keeps as their remote pets?

Hypocrisy at its best.

Well, who am I to quarrel with someone who--right at the very top of their posts--chooses to call himself "megatroll" and self-label as a "misanthropic bastard"?

No argument on either count, megatroll. :joker:

But I do want to say that you're either very young -- which the sheer number of your posts belies and in any case is no excuse for your marxist baby-talk views -- or you're another one of these european leftists living in a country that is overwhelmingly racially and ethnically homogeneous, or, and here is the really annoying wild-card, you actually live in the U.S. and belong to that very specific group that habitually runs down the country at every opportunity while continuing to live within it while enjoying--and let me go out on a twig here--and exploiting the benefits of being a citizen. i.e. gaming the system.

Now, before I get labeled as some America-first, jingoistic, right-wing asshole, let me say I think the U.S. has a great deal to answer for in terms of the sometimes huge divide between our words and deeds.

But I gotta say, and it's only simple courtesy that keeps me from screaming in 24 pt. ALL CAPS,

In comparison with WHOM--meaning a major state-player of comparable size and role in the world and with a society as heterogeneous as this--with which such country, EXACTLY, do we unfavorably compare and are found wanting? When have we EVER unleashed the scale of industrialized mass-murder seen in Europe during WWII? Or in Russia for nearly the entirety of the 20th century? Or in just a few short years during the 1970s in the killing fields of Cambodia? Even conservative estimates of the number of dead in just those three countries start at 30,000,000 human lives.

Again, this is not for a moment to deny that the U.S. has way too often supported corrupt, retrograde, brutal rulers at a cost of thousands of lives and that is our particular shame to bear and, even, answer for. But a little nuance with your black-and-white view of the world, O.K.?

Because when you talk this way you sound like fucking Dick Cheney. Smug and condescending, secure in the world of moral absolutes that you wrap around yourself and wear like...a flag.

Finally, to give you a further indication of the very mixed feelings I have about the U.S., I'll say I agree with you about the hypocrisy of the action undertaken to freeze yakuza assets held in the U.S.

Do the yaks have it coming? Ab-so-fucking-lutely! :sadomaso::brucelee::sadomaso:

But to go after this kind of low-hanging fruit while the architects and perpetrators of the the financial collapse of 2008 go about their business -- billions of dollars richer -- while continuing to profit off of having brought about the near-destruction of the world's financial system, is blatantly criminal and makes a mockery of the values the U.S. proclaims to the world.

That's my statement. Now, if you'll all excuse me, I'm gonna go download this week's episode of The Walking Dead.