Unable to view images hosted on the site

fr0stbyte

Former Staff
Apr 8, 2008
My problem: When I logged on this afternoon, the images weren't loading. Images like avatars, buttons (quote, reply) and even the banner above (the funny guy peeking at the top of the page).

This wasn't the case a few days ago. I was able to browse the images and there was nothing wrong. I had to use a proxy to able to see the images and buttons again.

I'm not saying that the site or moderators are at fault but I'm pretty mystified by this event, most definitely because I'm not good with technical stuff.

EDIT: The images were showing up on IE but not on Firefox (I still have to use a proxy if I wanted to browse this site on Firefox).

Summary:
Images, buttons, and banners (apparently all images hosted on the site) do not show up on Firefox when I log on. They show up when I use IE and when I use proxies on Firefox. IE is good.. But it's too damn slow.

Has anyone else experience this?

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Funny guy?

I have not had any trouble seeing avatars or images. That is odd that you cannot see them with your normal IP but that with a proxy you can. Actually, what's really odd is that it's only the images which you cannot see. It would make so much more sense if you told us "I can't access the site unless I use a proxy," in which case we could suspect things like an IP block, like your ISP filtering Akiba-Online, etc. But for it to just be the images? I have no clue.

My suggestion? Try clearing Firefox's cookies, history, temporary internet files / cache, everything like that. Completely clear it. Exit Firefox. Re-open Firefox. Reclear and re-close. (Just to be safe. :p) Re-open Firefox once more and this time, with your normal IP, attempt to view A-O. Tell us what happens.

fr0stbyte

Former Staff
Apr 8, 2008
Still not showing up..

Funny guy?

I have not had any trouble seeing avatars or images. That is odd that you cannot see them with your normal IP but that with a proxy you can. Actually, what's really odd is that it's only the images which you cannot see. It would make so much more sense if you told us "I can't access the site unless I use a proxy," in which case we could suspect things like an IP block, like your ISP filtering Akiba-Online, etc. But for it to just be the images? I have no clue.

My suggestion? Try clearing Firefox's cookies, history, temporary internet files / cache, everything like that. Completely clear it. Exit Firefox. Re-open Firefox. Reclear and re-close. (Just to be safe. :p) Re-open Firefox once more and this time, with your normal IP, attempt to view A-O. Tell us what happens.

Okay. I've cleared all that up (cookies, history, etc..) but I still get the same result. The images show up on IE (let me express myself.. IE IS SOOOOOOO SLOW) but not on Firefox.

I also have an IE Tab Add-on installed on Firefox (which I installed last year so it shouldn't be the cause of the problem; I use this for torrent hosting sites that tend to show random codes instead of giving you the torrent file while using Firefox), and the images show up fine too (when I switch from the Firefox to IE rendering engine, within Firefox).

Now, I haven't installed anything recently on my computer so I really have no idea what's going on.

Thanks for the tip though. If you have any other knowledge that could help me with my problem then I'm all ears.

Also, what's up with the Funny guy link?

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Your original post suggested to me that you do not recognize Osaka, Akiba Online's apparent mascot and the girl, not guy, who is peeking at you from the banner. I linked you to a video of Osaka so that you would realize (a) she's a girl and (b) more specifically who she is.

fr0stbyte

Former Staff
Apr 8, 2008
I tried a lot of things this morning.. But my final assumption would be that my Firefox is messed up. I installed Chrome and all the images came up fine, just like in the case of IE. I'll be reinstalling Firefox by the end of the day. I'm gonna post if this works.

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
Firefox has a box under setup, contents, named "load graphics", perhaps the box isn´t activated any longer, reason whatsoever...

please check.

[I hope I managed to translate the menu items correctly so it can be found...]

fr0stbyte

Former Staff
Apr 8, 2008
Reinstalling Firefox worked. I do not know what the problem was but it was definitely resolved after what I did. It's just a bit weird that it problem just happened spontaneously. Many thanks to Sakunyuusha and redrooster for their advise.