Tokyo's Subway Just Got Bigger

Kirin99

Jun 8, 2008
Tokyo's Subway Just Got Bigger

The largest rapid transit system in the known universe has been extended by one line. The Fukutoshin Line is the first new addition to Tokyo's subway system in 8 years. It runs from Shibuya to Wako, Saitama. The line is meant to relieve congestion on other lines passing through Shinjuku Station. This should be a welcome change. If you have ever been to Shinjuku Station during rush hour youd know it is hella crowded.

Misc:

To celebrate the Fukutoshin Line's opening Shinjuku's Isetan Department store sold train shaped eclairs.

Not to be outdone Takashimaya Department store made a Subway map out of gummy candy, chocolate and diamonds. It is currently on display in a glass case in their Shinjuku store.

Trains in Tokyo are notorious for chikan, Japan's homegrown breed of zealous perverts. They take advantage of the the crowded commute to rub their genitals against or grope unsuspecting women. Many train lines have female only carriages during rush hour to spare women from the nastiness of these sick men who otherwise can't get any.

Additional info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Metro_Fukutoshin_Line

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
I wouldn't call it the largest rapid transit system... NYC's MTA is by far the largest with 468 active stations on a single network, and that's not even counting commuter rail that extends into Long Island, NJ, CT, and northern NY. But then the MTA is comparatively run-down, maintenance and upgrades take forever, and it's nowhere near as on-time as any of Japan's rail networks.
:dunno:

Zanmato

May 24, 2007
Hmm i wonder how many stations are around greater Tokyo area? The number is pretty darn high when you count Tokyo Metro, JR Lines, Yurikamome, Keisei and all of the smaller lines together. And boy does the system work at the rush hour! It leaves the Berlin airbridge at shame :ridiculed:

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Personally I don't think "number of stations" is any indication of what makes a rapid transit system good. I think efficiency is what counts, and if the central Yamanote line is any indication (which with only 29 stations carries about 3.5 million passengers daily, compared to NYC's 468 stations which carry just over 5 million), I'd say Tokyo easily has the most efficient system.

Still, add in all of the stations from all rail lines in the Tokyo metropolitan area and you get around 450 stations. Greater Tokyo area: 1100 stations.

vincent_z

Low Angler
Nov 27, 2007
Fukutoshin Line

The main reason for the line is to take some of the crush loads off the JR Yamanote Line. In particular, on its west leg between Ikebukuro and Shibuya. Some trains from Shibuya are through-routed to Hanno on the Seibu Ikebukuro Line. In 2012, it will be through-routed with the Tokyu Minato Mirai Line to Motomachi-Chukagai in Yokohama.
Tokyo Metro has gone public, and its management has hinted that this is the end of its construction aspect.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
Still, add in all of the stations from all rail lines in the Tokyo metropolitan area and you get around 450 stations. Greater Tokyo area: 1100 stations.[/QUOTE]

Did somebody count them all, or did they go station spotting on all 1100, but still when I go to Tokyo, I will have to do my best to try and visit them all.:lols:

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Interesting maps from Jacek Wesolowski. However, he only included the MTA subway lines for New York City, when other commuter lines should be included (like NJTransit, LIRR, Metro North, PATH, etc).

Did somebody count them all, or did they go station spotting on all 1100, but still when I go to Tokyo, I will have to do my best to try and visit them all.:lols:

Here you go, and good luck: http://www.mukiryoku.com/Tokyo_suburban.jpg (3.16MB file)

dogitout

Oct 11, 2009
My subway's bigger than your subway

i have been to NY many times and tokyo many times. I am not sure who's is bigger but i would take tokyo subway and trains ANYTIME over NYC subways.... and i am an american. they are cleaner - more efficient - safer etc etc ... hands down - give me a tokyo train - ANY DAY!!!

thanks for reading...

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
You can't easily compare their size since the exact infrastructure is pretty different, so it is impossible to use a single definition to make a comparison.

- NYC Subway is still the largest single-system network in the world at 468 stations.
- Tokyo Metro (which runs the same urban-type subway system) only has 168 stations.
- But unlike NYC Subway, Tokyo Metro is not the only system in Tokyo (like how NYC Subway and most associated transportation networks are managed by the MTA). You can also add in JR East, Toei, Seibu, Keio, Tsukuba, Keisei lines, etc.
- But most other lines extend well beyond the core Tokyo area (the 23 special wards), and it's hard to put a solid figure on the number of stations depending on if you double-count stations shared by separate systems.
- But if you include suburban/commuter-type lines like Toei, Seibu, Keio, Tsukuba, Keisei, etc, then you might as well include LIRR, Metro North, Staten Island, and any number of regional private railways (Amtrak et al) when you count NYC stations.
- But if you include all of those NYC greater metro area rail systems (which reach into NJ and CT), you might as well also stretch the Tokyo Greater Area to include Yokohama, Saitama, and most (if not all) of Chiba prefectures.

You can see how hard it is to make a fair comparison. Both are big, but in different ways.

You can also try to quantify it by:
Station density (stations per km²)
Passengers per station (passengers per station)
Total passenger throughput per time (passengers per week)
And so on.