Three: 1) U.S. Asian Clubs Racist? 2) Pick Up Asian Chicks, Clubs 2) U.S.-Asian Club Girl Behavior

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

jugulear

Akiba Citizen
Jan 20, 2012
(DEAR MODERATOR:
Will you please change the last number "2" in the title to a "3"? Then delete these two lines? Thank you.)

1)

Asian Nightclubs: Exclusive or Racist?

An Asian nightclub in Manhattan is accused of turning away non-Asians. Is exclusivity the same thing as discrimination?

Circle, a traditionally Asian club in midtown Manhattan, was recently investigated by Fox 5 for its allegedly racist door policy. (Photo: Screenshot, Fox5)

JUN 29, 2012

Last month, a local news station in New York went undercover to examine allegations of racism by bouncers at Circle, a traditionally Korean club in Midtown Manhattan.

The primary complaint came from Patrick Thomas, an African-American who said he had been denied entrance into the club despite showing up with two Asian girls, one of whom was his girlfriend. When they reached the door, the girls were let in, but Thomas was not.

On the surface, the investigation by Fox 5 reporter Arnold Diaz seems a bit one-sided. Not mentioned, for example, is the fact that many Asian Americans are also turned away at the door of Circle. Nor was it noted that many clubs have employed similarly questionable door policies. As Phil Kim, a Manhattan-based banker explains, sometimes the stringent vetting is part of the appeal.

“I go to Circle when I want to meet other Asians,” Kim, told TakePart. He’s also visited Korean clubs in Los Angeles and Seoul. “If I wanted to be around a diverse crowd, I’d go somewhere else.”

It’s understandable that nightclubs would want to maintain their appeal to a niche market, but does that make their policies fair? “It looks as if the nightclub is discriminating,” said Guy Aoki, Asian American advocate and founder of Media Action Network for Asian Americans, after watching the video.

Jacinta Ma, a civil rights attorney and deputy director of the Asian American Justice Center, agreed. “Based on what I saw [in the video], it looks like discrimination,” she said.

According to Ma, the argument that clubs need to maintain their brand doesn’t hold water and creates a slippery slope. “There have been situations in the past where a store would say, I want to create my own brand, so I’m only going to advertise using people that look typically American, and I only want people in the public customer service area who look typically American,” she said. “That leads to discrimination, and that’s not what we want.”

Oliver Lee has been covering social justice and other issues for TakePart since 2009. Originally from Baltimore, he lives and writes on a quiet, tree-lined street in Brooklyn.

Source Link:
http://www.takepart.com/article/2012/06/29/are-nightclubs-allowed-be-racist

Story Follow-up, one year later:

Times Square Club Fined $20K for Barring Non-Korean Patrons

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20...club-fined-20k-for-barring-non-korean-patrons

★★★★ ★★★★★★★★ ★★★★★★★★ ★★★★★★★★ ★★★★★★★★ ★★★★★★★★ ★★★★

These next two offerings aren't exactly "News," but I decided to include them because... most of us would probably be interested.

2)

How To Pick Up An Asian Chick At A Bar Or Nightclub
13 MAR 2012 BY KELLY TENG

Asian girls…well, generally, we aren’t an elusive bunch. If you don’t believe me, walk down to Chinatown any day of the week and you will see just how easy it is to find us. However, when it comes to a night out there seems to be a scarcity of Asian girls in most Western bars and nightclubs.

If, however – for some reason – you really feel the need to pick up an Asian girl (or see an Asian girl that you want to get with) there are some things that may help you along your way.

Firstly, before you leave the house, make sure your hair looks great. We love guys with good hair like a university student loves cheap drinks. Ever wondered why Asian guys always have the coolest hair? It’s because us girls made it that way. Spike it up, or at least make it look like you put a little bit of effort into styling your hair. This way, you make a great impression before you even talk to her.

Also, get this into your head before you go out: Asian girls don’t like it when you ask “Hey, so do you eat weird food?” or “Wow, your English is really good!”. You might think you’re being cool and funny, we just think you’re being racist and rude. Force it out of your mind as one of those ‘conversation starters’ and opt instead for something like “So did you move here when you were young?” Believe me, the conversation will take you a lot further this way.

Now, when you actually find the girl, here’s an insider’s tip…we as a race are not the best at handling our alcohol. Every Asian girl that you see who has a red face has probably only had 2 or 3 drinks. Because of this, the obvious solution if you actually want to pick up an Asian girl for the night is to buy her drinks, drinks, and more drinks (it’ll only cost you a maximum of $10 before she’s drunk, most likely). Just remember to make them good drinks – in other words, not shot after shot – otherwise you’ll have scored yourself a very drunk Asian girl who’s throwing up in the bathrooms.

A lot of Asian girls can also be very shy (even with a few drinks), and may take some time to be comfortable around you. This isn’t a stereotype, it’s just a general observation I’ve made over the years. The best way to make her feel comfortable around you is to talk to her and make her realise that you’re not a creepy stranger her parents told her to stay away from. This goes for all girls, but is especially true if you’re trying to pick up an Asian.

Lastly and most importantly: it’s probably better to go to a club where there are actually plenty of Asian girls to increase your chances. Think of nightclubs with names such as Bamboo or Shanghai Nights…that’s probably where we’re hiding. Don’t worry about not having music to dance to: most Asian bars and nightclubs play plenty of hip hop and RnB, but if you’re looking for techno then you’ll most likely have to go elsewhere.

So the next time you suddenly feel like finding an Asian girl on a Friday or Saturday night, you’ll know exactly where to go and what to do…And if you remember nothing else, please remember this: don’t try to speak some sort of Asian language to her, mention eating some sort of animal, or buy her mountains of tequila shots.

Source Link:
http://www.barsandnightclubs.com.au...pick-up-an-asian-chick-at-a-bar-or-nightclub/

3)

Asian Club Girls are F***ing Annoying

It's always dangerous to generalize. And yet... pretty fascinating commentary.

Source Link:
youtube.com/watch?v=luj2KsZxfjA#t=628

Last edited:

kharo88

Akiba Citizen
Sep 13, 2015
1)

I don't see a problem with what they did. If they only want Koreans (not even Asians in general, according to the article) to hang out there, I don't see how that's immediately racist - they could have any number of reasons. And no, I'm not Korean - I'm as white as it gets. What makes it unjust and racist in my opinion is the fact that, and I'm quoting the article here, "The methods of exclusion included forcing those of latter groups (non-Koreans) to make reservations in advance, or buy expensive bottle service, while not requiring the same of the club's Korean patrons and enforcing the nightclub's dress code unevenly."

mealtimeshadow

May 31, 2016
1) Sounds like a mix of exclusivity mixed with prejudice stemming from racism. It may or may not be in this case, but I'm already assuming this Korean club is a Korean booking club. In Korean booking clubs, the girls are directed to tables where men sit. It's kind of an indirect way for men to meet women, and for women to imbibe in free drinks. Of course, the men are spending tons of money on bottles of Crown Royal and Chateauneuf-du-Pape, while the women indulge.

Either way, the purpose of any club is to make money. Hence, why non-Asians may be required to book a table and pay for bottle service ahead of time. It's pretty assumed that most Asians going to a booking club already knows the rules and procedures, and will fork out the cash for the experience; while non-Asians may be completely lost as to protocol.

Imagine if you were the black guy yourself. You come with your girlfriend and her female friend. You manage to get in and get a table. Maybe you'll be cool with the overpriced drinks. Or maybe you won't. Maybe 10 minutes in, a host comes by your tables, grabs both of the girls you came with, and dragged them to another table to keep the next set of male guests company. Wouldn't you be like, "WTF?" Unless you totally were in the know what the protocol was. Yes, girls get dragged and swapped around like that. I know, because my ex would go to Korean booking clubs from time-to-time.

Now look at it from the guy managing the Korean club. Do you want to put up with a guest who is suddenly lost and bewildered because he may be frustrated at the price of things, and because the girls he came in disappeared for a bit before coming back to the table? Do the workers in the club want to put up with newbie irate guests, and create an uncomfortable atmosphere for everyone else?

It may or may not unfold like that, but I imagine most of people running the Korean club have policies like that against non-Asians as a safeguard into how they do things. Keep in mind, non-Asians are more likely to kick up a fuss and sue to get some kind of compensation; many Asians want to avoid dealing with the courts and the law altogether.

That's just my opinion.

2) Mostly rubbish. Picking up and socializing with an Asian girl follows similar rules for any other kind of woman. Be confident, be assertive but not aggressive. Be well-dressed. Have a sense of humor. A fresh haircut and style is great, but if you're close are too baggy/uncoordinated/sloppy, it's not a gonna happen. Especially if you have crappy shoes. It's not just an Asian thing, majority of worthwhile woman will have a hard time getting over shoes that don't match the style and the occasion.

Some Asian girls do have a great tolerance. Especially sorority girls. They often gain enough alcohol tolerance to rival an African rhino. You know how to get a girl to open up? Be genuinely interested her. Some of the guidelines, like not talking about weird foods, etc fall under a category of "fetishizing." You're already assuming things or guiding the conversation in a category to fit Asians, and not her in general. And that will not fly with someone is particularly Americanized, or basically grew up white and wished she was white/black/hispanic because they grew up in such a neighborhood. Be respectful of how they identify themselves culturally, and you can only do that by trying to get to know them.

Also, Asian women do not "hide." They go out to areas where they want to be, just like any other women. Yes, there are some girls that go to bars and clubs, get drunk, and sleep with a new guy every other month. But most just hang out with friends, discovering new restaurants, working on their career, future, etc.

3) I didn't get through the whole video, but if the message was, don't ever fall for a girl's manipulation, I agree. You shouldn't need to buy any woman a drink to be interested in you. If you're internally confident and charming, that's enough to get your foot in the door. Don't ever be supplicating, or do anything in hopes that they will like you. Any woman worth being with isn't going to pull that bullshit on you of entitlement.