Thousands hit Tokyo streets to demand 'No Nukes!'

ardo

Mar 2, 2010
Thousands of people rallied and took to the streets of Tokyo to demand the abolition of nuclear power plants on Feb. 11, the 11-month anniversary of the start of the nuclear disaster.

AJ201202120016M.jpg

About 12,000 people participated in the rally held in Tokyo's Yoyogi Park...

AJ201202120017M.jpg

On March 11, the one-year anniversary of the Great East Japan Earthquake and tsunami, a protest rally is expected to be held in Koriyama in Fukushima Prefecture. The prefecture is home to the crippled Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant.

The nuclear crisis has sparked public outcry over the safety of nuclear power generation, leading to protests and demonstrations in many parts of Japan.

800_japan_protest_ap_120211.jpg

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/social_affairs/AJ201202120015

roceil123

May 20, 2008
Just asking but what will be their temporary and PERMANENT solution about their power consumption?

I'm not nagging or anything but will the entire Japanese population cooperate in a national power shifting/swapping/etc while their government searches for another power source?

We are talking about maybe decades they find anything that will answer for the demand in electricity.

Sure they can rally and etc but are they prepared to make some extreme sacrifice?

There are people that likes to nag about something good or bad but doesn't even contribute to the solution.

But anyway, no one wanted the EQ and tsunami so we can't really point fingers.
Hope Japan recovers soon and please for the love of God repopulate your country or else.

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
Just asking but what will be their temporary and PERMANENT solution about their power consumption?

Solar,wind,geothermal,maybe coal or trash to energy plants.I think the short term effects of any of these types of power plants exploding would be minimal compared to the long term effects a nuclear power plant meltdown or disaster.

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
I happened to be in Hiroshima last August on the anniversary of the atomic bomb dropping, and they had the usual ceremonies, but with an added poignancy since the March quake and its aftermath was still on everyone's minds.

On that day I witnessed two completely separate rallies:

One anti-nuclear power rally linking the Fukushima incident with nuclear weapons in general (using its public perception as momentum for the anti-nuclear cause - adopting the chant "No more Hiroshimas, No more Fukushimas")

...and one pro-nuclear armament rally based around the fear of an ever more militarised world (and East Asia in particular).

I can't say I agreed with the idea behind either one of these rallies.

Attached a few snapshits I took that day. Try to guess which photos are from which rallies :p

ardo

Mar 2, 2010
Try to guess which photos are from which rallies

It would seem the ones with the Imperial battle flags would have to be from the pro-armament rally.

I can't say I agreed with the idea behind either one of these rallies.

Ok, but it sure looks like your having fun in that green shirt! :pandalaugh:

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Solar,wind,geothermal,maybe coal
Solar: incredibly inefficient so far, and Japan does not have a lot of land-mass to develop solar infrastructure.
Wind: In real world use, still very deadly (ironically), limited land-mass, and expensive to deploy latest designs at sea.
Geothermal: Extremely expensive compared to oil and natural gas
Coal: High health hazard, pollution, very little natural deposits in the Japanese archipelago, and so Japan would still have to depend on imports

There's an excellent piece in the recent Wired publication talking about why alternative "clean" energy sources (wind, solar, etc) is having a hard time being adopted. If you have 15 minutes to spare, I would highly recommend anyone to give it a read:
Code:
http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/archive/2012/03/features/the-clean-tech-meltdown?page=all

roceil123

May 20, 2008
w/ all the active nuke plant in the world and most just near the seas, the Japanese people would think that even if they stop others won't.

Unless lets say america gets f**k the "nuke users" would finally get the message "STOP USING NUKE PLANTS".