These Japanese Disaster Shelters Look a lot Like Dragon Ball Space Pods

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

prophetomega

Smut Hunter
Apr 17, 2012
20121103_giant-1.jpg

In Dragon Ball lore, when the Saiyans would dispatch their warriors to conquer or destroy distant planets, they would send them in spherical pod-like spaceships called Attack Balls. These vessels were built to keep their occupant safe across light years of intergalactic travel, and durable enough to withstand impact upon arrival. In short, they were the ultimate personal protective device.

What does this have to do with anything? Japanese auto parts manufacturer, Pond, has developed a disaster shelter called Life Armour that looks almost exactly like the Attack Balls from Dragon Ball.

And we bet you’ll never guess how much it costs…

About US$5000.

What, were you expecting a higher figure?

Life Armour was created by the folks at Pond who, after seeing the devastating damage and loss in human life caused by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami last year, believe Japan needs a personal disaster shelter that is both practical and affordable.

The vessel is designed to protect up to four people and can withstand up to 9.3 tons of pressure on its body and falls from up to 25 meters.

The exterior is made from reinforced plastic and can be customized in several color schemes. The interior is cushioned with urethane foam. Altogether it measures 1.2 meters in diameter and weighs about 80 kg.

Pond also offers a number of optional items to customize your order with, such as a GPS tracker, a waterproof megaphone, emergency rations, and a solar panel that attaches to the interior of the window.

You can purchase Life Armour online from Seikoh, though you’ll have to contact Pond directly if you want one shipped overseas.

While we’re not sure if Pond drew inspiration from Dragon Ball‘s Attack Pods, you have to admit the resemblance is uncanny. If we didn’t know any better, we’d accuse Pond of ripping off alien technology after discovering an abandoned Saiyan pod in the ocean…
untitled-1-e1352622614705.jpg

life-armor-disaster-shelter_6.jpg

life-armor-disaster-shelter_5-copy.jpg

Hey, just Sayin it could happen…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o_XLTUog7k0

Source: http://en.rocketnews24.com/2012/11/...lters-look-a-lot-like-dragon-ball-space-pods/

love-mibimibi

伝説のチェリーボーイ
Jun 23, 2010
toriyama akira sensei idea isn't it :guaah::guaah::guaah:

iladw

Love Incest Moms
May 18, 2009
This would be perfect solution during some sort of flooding caused by Tsunami for example.

I would be more worried of it drifting away. While the rescue crew is looking for survirvors in a village my family is floating in the ocean.

On the other hand if they sell this in Europe I may buy it. The perfect weekend, alone in capsule in some lake, laptop with solar charger, non-food like chips and sweets, and a fap marathon with Chinami Sakai :virtuous:

nonomm79

May 10, 2007
This won't end well

This simply doesn't look practical. If it's floating on water, it must be waterproof, but doesn't that mean it's also airtight?

But, most importantly, looking at those pics, you can't actually open the door while it's floating in the sea. The door needs to be on top.

I mean, you're basically just buying your casket here...

------

porkar

Apr 2, 2007
You would feel like you are in a washing machine - on spin cycle.:rofl:

Freedom Kira

Rawr™
Jun 19, 2009
I'm wondering a couple of things.

1. Since the thing floats, it must be airtight. If it's airtight, how much air supply does it have? How long would four people survive in there without opening the door?

2. The pod can survive a drop of 25 meters, but can a person (or four) inside survive the fall too?

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
I hope they designed those things so that you can open the hatch without the water coming into the pod,because if its air tight then that means limited air supply.Looking at the video those things don't look that strong and it looks like it would fit only small people.

Kumi3

Flaccid Member
Feb 8, 2011
This is the best 'helping-out' idea I've seen for yonks.

These Japanese Disaster Shelters Look a lot Like Dragon Ball Space Pods
In that case, Dragon Ball Space Pods look remarkably similar to the old single serve ice cream balls, from the '60's and '70's.

As for dropping 25 metres - ever seen the life pods launched from a cargo ship ? That's likely where they got their benchmark rating from.

At US$5000, I'd get one and kit it out as my own 'Fortress of Solitude' ! No kids, wife or, cat !

Code:
http://www.smh.com.au/world/japans-answer-to-next-tsunami-miniark-20111001-1l276.html
http://www.japantoday.com/smartphone/view/lifestyle/disaster-shelters-look-a-lot-like-dragon-ball-space-pods
http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/pond-develops-disaster-shelter-that-reminds-us-of-dragon-ball.php
http://www.gadg.com/2012/11/12/disaster-pods-introduced-in-japan-video/

If anyone comes across some actual specs for these, please post a link. It would be interesting to know what the kit is - Oxygen, Safety Harness, Air Con., Mars Bars, etc.

Specs, in Japanese:
Code:
http://seikoh.com/SHOP/lifearm.html

Gir633

Señor Member
Oct 28, 2008
With the right paint job they could look like Pokeballs too. I can see all sort of product placement/tie-ins. GOTTA SAVE 'EM ALL!

major9686

WWOEC\DeviantART\Cosplay
Feb 4, 2009
probably you don't mind shitting all over yourself (at least I wouldn't mind, it should be the least of my worries) if such an event do actually occurs... though the smell should be horrible and you won't be able to stay there for much long ... even if you got a device or a poop bag it wont help much since the smell and bacteria will remain in the pod. also the weird deodorizer they have in toilets is pretty much useless, just blows in air so the smell will mix faster with the air above/outside the toilet XD (so retarded!!!)
also, keep in mind that everything japanese make is according to japanese proportions ... meaning - normal sized people like myself, won't be able to enter it :(
It seems quite small and fragile, I doubt it can support up to 4 people, and how come reinforced plastic can sustain itself from breaking apart from 9 ton of pressure ?
was it even tested yet ?
I guess that it is more suited for when an earthquake occurs and the upper floors come down on you ...
still, very questionable product, seems like a joke.