The Needs, Wants, and Uses of FULL HD

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
FULL HD 1080p JAV is nice; really nice. It comes at a price, though. Size. And for a lot of folks, size matters when it comes to storage space or bandwidth or both. I am eternally grateful for those who share such titles with the community. So if you are one of them...thank you.

I have always enjoyed JAV where and how I could get it. The higher the quality the better. But even then, a decent encode in SD suits me fine. I have a good library of such titles. HD titles are beginning to fill my hard drives recently. The thing is, I usually re-encode them to SD @60fps for other uses. And to keep within HD standards, I re-encode to 720p @60fps for use on my TV because my WDTV doesn't handle FULL HD @60fps very well. A bit choppy. So basically I use 1080p files as source files for anything else I do.

I have re-encoded for my TV, PC and mobile devices and keep the FULL HD master files on a separate HDD. Whenever I find a title available in HD I jettison the SD version. Of course, I end up recreating an SD version at some point, but @60fps. That's like mini-HD.

Some FULL HD titles get up 7GB and beyond depending on the length of the title. So it can take a while to gather a library together. But gather I do...and the more I do the more I struggle with the reasons I do. I currently have 1.7 TB of content in FULL HD or 720p. Most I haven't had a chance to view and/or re-encode. But they are there when I can get to them. As a collector and lover of JAV it is just nice knowing they are there. And again, I thank all who help make them available to us.

Do you have a library of 1080p titles on the rise? Or do you not see a need for them depending on your situation?

Do you use them as source files for other endeavors? Or just enjoy them as-is?

Below are some references to the 60fps process if you are interested.

JAV60, SmartScene, and MobileHD - MP4 Files ADDED!
http://www.akiba-online.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1283918

60fps File Conversion - FINALLY a Guide! The Keys to the Kingdom
http://www.akiba-online.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1284957

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
First of all...I'm sure everyone will wonder "Why? Why bother? Why take the time?"

I happened onto this, didn't really plan it. I had a 1024x576 60fps full length title I encoded from a 1080p FHD source. Using TMPGEnc I was able to create a compliant DVD with interlaced video (thanks to the source being 60fps) that actually looks like a commercial DVD. Not like when you take an SD rip and then encode it back to MPG/VOB. Interesting outcome. Probably won't do it again, but it was a surprising result. :study::perfectplan:

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
For those that archive out their FHD titles to DVD or other optical media, do you split the files as-is? Or do you RAR them up in pieces and then burn them.

Especially titles that are larger than standard single layer DVD.