tech ?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

sockmuncher

May 30, 2007
is it a bad idea to zip a folder that contains like a quadrillion files?

should it be split up into sections then zipped?

techie

SuupaOtaku
Jul 24, 2008
If your zip crashes you could have lost all of it.

Try WinRAR instead with SFV recovery records.
If I do a thing like that it would be good to do PAR2 files of the archive too.
This allows you to recover them even if your split archive lost 5-10% of the split segments.

See WinRAR split archives and PAR2 on google
the latter being free.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Not a big fan of Winzip myself, I believe WinRar to be more useful as it supports many compression formats. Not familar with PAR2, have to look into that. Very good and sound advice techie. I would like to add something if I may.

WinRAR limitations:

The number of files, which can be added to an archive, depends upon the amount of available memory and the length of file names. Roughly 128 bytes of memory are required per archived file for RAR archive. For example, it can take about 128 MB to compress one million of files. WinRAR has been tested to handle over one million of files.

Excellent compression, compresses files up to even 10% of the original size in some cases. Compresses files relatively quickly.

The size of a RAR archive, as well as the size of any single file within a RAR archive, is limited to 8,589,934,591 GB (9,223,372,036,854,775,807 bytes). Note that to create archives larger than 4 GB, you need to use NTFS, as older file systems do not support such large files.

WinRAR has been tested to support compression of up to a million files. Compression in the ZIP format is limited to files only up to 2GB in size. RAR compression supports much higher stats. (Though using the RAR format may not be recommended as the windows default compression utility does not support it.)

In general RAR archive format is much better optimized for heavy tasks involving huge number of files and gigabytes of disk space.

Link of possible interest:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_archivers

sockmuncher

May 30, 2007
wow thanks for all the info guys. i use 7-zip, if thats different from winzip or winrar i have no idea. its really no big deal, not important enough to lose data incase of a zip file crash. i really do not want compression or anyother altering of files i just like to have one folder thats lockable couse sometimes i let my friends steal mp3s on my machine hehe. i can do that with 7-zip for FREE. what the fuck is the 7 part for anyway.

thanks guys

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
7-zip has its' popularity.
However if you search thepiratesbay.org/ you can find a freely shared version of winrar. When it comes to software downloads at piratesbay however it is recommended to download from verified source. Look for a skull and crossbones by the posters name. Winrar supports the 7-zip extension and can extract any files that have this extension. Refer to the wiki link in my last post.

sockmuncher

May 30, 2007
i would not touch thepiratesbay with a 200 foot long poll but thanks. i already have full version winrar i just dont use it.

thankyou guys for the much information.

this is the end of my part of the discussion here

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
Winrar is not released as a freeware, AFAIK.
Despite being a shareware, it doesn't bother me much after the evaluation period. Only a stupid screen at the startup.
That's why 7-zip as a freeware is still a good alternative for "legalists".

techie

SuupaOtaku
Jul 24, 2008
sockmuncher ? why not TPB, most trts here go through there already/too

The 7 in 7zip is probably something related to supporting 7 different compression formats or 7ip would not be confuised with winzip a Z without lower leg. Not sure really. It's up to the developers to name the file extensions they make.

UnRAR for Windows is free to handle winrar archives btw.