Nov 14, 2006
What's coming this week?
A new episode?
I don't find any info, dammit!

EDIT. Watching the live stream:
[hide]it's Sighs! :dies2:[/hide]

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Yeah, I really don't like how Haruhi's new airing is devoid of any "tune in next week for ..." sneak peeks, either. =\

Regarding Sdeo's spoiler ...
[hide]Hmm. So they already did Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody. Now they're coming back to do the chapter which preceded it. And with Endless Eight finished, I'm guessing that they'll go ahead and do the other summer episodes, too. Although that's sort of confusing. If Endless Eight was supposed to have happened at the end of summer vacation, how is it that they're going to air the murder island mystery and the Mysterique Sign episodes from Season 1 now? Or am I late to the party and they already aired both of those episode sets back in June? ^^;[/hide]

SdeO

Tomoe Fascination
Nov 14, 2006
Yes, those episodes already have been aired.
As far as I know, from the original season only remain these four:

- The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina
- Live Alive
- The Day of Sagittarius
- Someday in the Rain

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Okay, cool. Then in that case, we're looking at (worst case scenario) a 4-week drought of Haruhi. I'll take that over 7 weeks.

SdeO

Tomoe Fascination
Nov 14, 2006
The second ep of 'Sighs' remember me one thing:

I love Haruhi Suzumiya.
I want her to give me orders all day. Seriously! :inlove:
On the other hand, I guess these are bad days for the fans of Mikuru, seeing how Haruhi abused her so badly...

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I watched Episodes 10 and 11 back-to-back earlier today. I enjoyed them. I'm quite glad to see that we're getting as many as three, and possibly four episodes for The Sigh of Suzumiya Haruhi. Why?

(1) My 2006 dream of seeing an episode devoted to explaining Shamisen's backstory is about to come true! :D I can't wait! SHAMISEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN! :D

(2) It really promotes my theory that I've been holding tightly onto now for a long time (and you guys know it! :p check the thread if you don't believe me!! lol) that Kyoto Animation did all that Endless Eight stuff on purpose FULL WELL KNOWING that they were going to have The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi air in December and then were going to pick up in either Winter 2010 or Spring 2010 with Season 3 of the show. Because by doing this, Kyoto Animation has basically turned Season 2 into "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody x 1 + Endless Eight x 8 + Sigh x 3, 4, or more." Even at 3, that already adds up to 12 episodes.

Bring on Season 3, bitches. :D Bring on "The Disappearance of SH" for many episodes to come following the wrap-up of Season 2! :D

Groper_love

Jan 5, 2009
hey everyone, ia m really glad i found this kind of thread and to know that there are dedicated fans here too who also know their stuff :D

i'll be quite frank, ive only known or discovered Suzumiya 2 years ago, and iw as intrigued by it, but i never got around to actually watching ir was that motivated, basically i was straying away from everyone who just wants to watch anime this that blah blah blah and etc. And i cant remember how exactly i came back to it this year but i did and found out that it was being rebroadcasted (and in order to my surprise because they aired not inorder?) in High Definition and by the way i was obtaining these episodes, i was probably 8 weeks in which was great! :D and since then i have been becoming more acknowlege by it further :)

it struck me hard that i cant believe it has taken 3 years to get Season 2 out in the air, and i must say i am abit dissapointed with it, not only because of the Endless Eight cycle, but one of the reasonw hy i loved the anime is because of its cinematic quality (technically im a film guy) and i was amazed how well it was visualy presented in an anime, now i havent watch or know alot or any anime at all BUT i dont believe i have seen this been done before or to any western cartoon. From its visual perspective i would immediantly identify the anime miles away because of its render. Now when Bamboo Leaf (first ep. of Season 2) i can see already how different it was, and how hyper the animation was, it wasnt that bad but i said to myself this was something i should hve been expecting and it still looked faithful. However this all changed when Endless Eight came in. Throughout the 8 eps. that ive patiently watched, ive noticed how slightly the animation was lacking dreadfully, this gave me the thought that the animators were getting tired of drawing the same thing over and over again :D

That itself annoyed me as hell, made me think that there was no more love for this series anymore. This is where i am considering of reading the books indead, but because i am quite new to this whole scenario, i dont know which ones to read, wat i mean is that there is the Light Novels and the Manga, which one do i go for? in addition, there's the translation, if i am correct, officially they are still translating or havent even released translated version of the first few volumes of the light novels, even though they hve been out for some time, i really dont know wat to do here, can anyone help me on this?

sorry for the long message here, i hope everyone gets or maybe agree to what i mean :D

thisismyname

Feb 19, 2007
So far i'm very dissapointed, it has alot of filler episodes and it's just a longer episode of the original ones. I haven't read the novel, I don't know what to expect, however season 2 so far isn't all that great. I hope it improves because it's a real let down so far.

SdeO

Tomoe Fascination
Nov 14, 2006
I suppose the effects of E8 haven't gone away :p

Anyway, the last episode of Haruhi was great, IMO:

[hide]-The Mikuru-beeeeamu perfectly done.
-The suffering of Mikuru going worse.
-Haruhi-sama being the best movie director ever.
-The return of Tsuruya.
[/hide]

Personally, I enjoying Sighs very much... I wish I had the time to make a doujinshi, it would be about Haruhi and Mikuru, of course ;D

HENTAIBEN

The Nesta
May 13, 2007
I've also really been enjoying Sighs. I don't know if it makes up for E8, but it certainly helps.

The latest episode was perhaps my favorite episode this season...

[hide]...the whole Mikuru-Beam thing was excellent. We got a tiny bit of action and more of the super natural stuff. I never expected there to be so much to such a silly little "make believe" eye beam. Also yes, the return of Tsuryu made me happy in the pants.

My only problem with this arc is that Haruhi is really being a bitch to Mikuru. Like more so than ever before. It gets kind of annoying. Sure she has her moments with her ridiculous directing, but for the most part I just feel really bad for Mikuru. Though all this harassing made for a really good scene in the newest episode when Kyon stops Haruhi from trying to ask the "impossible" out of Mikuru.[/hide]

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Sigh = Endless Eight, the only difference being that the fanbase seems to like Sigh. lol

Personally, I like both, so it's not like I'm complaining all that much. However, I also do not love either one of them. Like. Not love. Sigh is dragging on a bit too slowly for my tastes. The last episode only contained two-and-a-half elements from the film: Mikuru Beam, pigeons, and (here's the ½) Tsuruya, Taniguchi, and what's-his-name showing up for the pond scene. No Shamisen yet. No Kyon's sister yet. No second half of the film yet. In other words, they've taken four episodes to tell less than half of the film's making. What does that mean? It means that we could easily be looking at another three to four episodes of Sigh. Which means that the studio is going to have produced more episodes for Sigh than they did for Melancholy. Personally? I think that's ridiculous.

But as a fan of the series, I much enjoy seeing the actual making of the film. Favorite scene so far is, without a doubt, when Haruhi commands Yuki to use her magic to decimate Mikuru, Kyon says "NO!" in his mind and makes the "no good" X with his arms, and then he looks over at Mikuru and ... priceless. XD :) She knows what Yuki is capable of. She knows how Yuki takes Haruhi's orders so literally. Shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake. Loved it.

But where the hell is my talking cat!? >( I demand Shamisen. Naow.

Edit three hours later: my bad, I guess there have only been 3 episodes so far. Still. :| Less Mikuru Beam, more talking cat!

Groper_love

Jan 5, 2009
Personally, even though i am very new to it, i have faith in everythin that they are doing in the light novels, and wouldnt want to complain, only when for a fact that you are sure they have lost it. Im pretty sure everything they are doing is there for a meaning.

not to go on for long, but i hope some of you lot took notice of my first post here, regarding the animation quality and cinematic techniques used in the first season. relating to this, i am wanting to read the light novels instead of having to wait so long for the anime and to somewhat spoils things for myself over are the wikia of Hahuri :(

therefore as i ahve also mentioned in my first post here, is that only the first 2 Volumes have been translated, therefore how would i resolve this? i would initially like to own them.

also, what si the difference between the Light Novels (the originals) and the Mangas?

Groper_love

Jan 5, 2009
wow, is that what a light novel looks like? wow leaves alot to the imagination wouldnt you agree? :D

but how faithful is the manga to the light novels? and are they recommended to be read over the originals perhaps?

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
"Wow, is that what a light novel looks like?" To address your surprise, I suppose we should answer why the books are classified as light novels in the first place. What exactly does the term "light novel" mean?

A novel, as you know, is a work of prose written in book form, usually covering a minimum of 180 pages. (Smaller books tend to be called novellas in English literature, e.g. The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway is a novella, not a novel. So too is F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby. Too long to be a short story, but too short to be a proper novel.)

The word light is used here to reflect the reading level of the book. Light novels typically have for their target audience Japanese teenagers. Why?
(1) They are too difficult for small children to read. Teenagers, young adults, and older adults can handle them.
(2) The subject matter is often times a little too immature for older adults' tastes.
(3) The manner in which the book is written is more suggestive of transient storytelling and less suggestive of creating a masterpiece, i.e. the author does not usually strike you as being as skilled with the pen as were Dostoevsky or Souseki.

Wikipedia has more to say on this, but the take-home message is: the stories in a light novel may be very entertaining, but the caliber of the author's writing skill is (typically) much lower than one would expect from a master of the pen.

====================================================

In terms of what came first ...

1. pre-April 2006 = Books 1 thru 7
2. pre-April 2006 = the first of two manga series is attempted. It fails after two volumes.
3. April 2006 = Season 1 of the anime begins airing
4. June 2006 = Season 1 wraps up
5. Summer 2006 = Book 8 is released
6. ??? = the second of two manga series is attempted. (This is the manga you've probably seen in USA/CAN bookstores.)
7. some time in between #5 and #8 = Book 9 is released
8. April 2009 = Season 2 of the anime begins airing

=============================================

How close is the manga to the books? Let's put it this way ...

The anime is 98% loyal to the books imo. It's a very, very accurate presentation of what goes down in the books. They (Kyoto Animation) really did a superb job of bringing the much-loved franchise to life on television. They must have been truly big fans, because they paid so, so much attention to every single little detail. The clubroom alone is amazing.

The manga is (from what little I bothered to read) 90% or so faithful to the books and manga. From what little I saw (several chapters of Volume 1, raw, back in the Summer or Fall of '06), all that changed was:
(a) the drawing style. Absolutely horrendous. Not at all like the excellent art done for the books nor like the anime's top-notch character designs.
(b) dialogue. Not necessarily the core message content, but rather who said what when, how they said it, etc. Little things. Little things that can make you have an entirely different impression of a character's personality. :\

===================================

How biased am I against the Haruhi manga? Very.

===================================

How easy are the books to read? I can't read them without constant dictionary assistance. The dialogue's not so bad, but Kyon's narration is (for a non-fluent reader like me) really hardcore. How easy is the manga to read? SUPER easy. Just as easy as a doujin. It's very, VERY easy. If I bust out the dictionary every sentence for the books, I bust it out two to three times tops per manga chapter. It ain't bad.

Then again, mangas have way way way way waaaaaaaaaay less text than books do.

Groper_love

Jan 5, 2009
Sakunyuusha, that helped a hella lot, thanks very much! :D do note that i do have a small knowlege about the light novels, but i am very interested in then as i would tend to go for the source of things unless the latter was highly recommended.

my problem is that all volumes (besides book 1 and very soon book 2) are in english and the rest have not yet been translated :( is there a way to read or OWN the light novels but in english by any chance?

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Not as far as I know. The novels have been fan-translated, but official translations are only out for the first two books so far. I've got all nine but I've got 'em all in Japanese. I'll probably get them in English soon enough. I want the hard-cover versions and I don't want them to have been thumbed through by a bajillion nerds at the bookstore, so Amazon.com here I come.