Super gonorrhea strain spreads in Japan

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

ardo

Mar 2, 2010
(Reuters) - Scientists have found a "superbug" strain of gonorrhea in Japan that is resistant to all recommended antibiotics and say it could transform a once easily treatable infection into a global public health threat.

The new strain of the sexually transmitted disease -- called H041 -- cannot be killed by any currently recommended treatments for gonorrhea...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/11/us-gonorrhoea-superbug-idUSTRE76A0YO20110711

Magnus Unemo of the Swedish Reference Laboratory for Pathogenic Neisseria, who discovered the strain with colleagues from Japan in samples from Kyoto... [said] "Since antibiotics became the standard treatment for gonorrhea in the 1940s, this bacterium has shown a remarkable capacity to develop resistance mechanisms to all drugs introduced to control it."

"Japan has historically been the place for the first emergence and subsequent global spread of different types of resistance in gonorrhea."

4589870692_5824cf73cb.jpg

It is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases in the world and is most prevalent in south and southeast Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. In the United States alone... the number of cases is estimated at around 700,000 a year.

British scientists said last year that there was a real risk of gonorrhea becoming a superbug -- a bacteria that has mutated and become resistant to multiple classes of antibiotics -- after increasing reports of gonorrhea drug resistance emerged in Hong Kong, China, Australia and other parts of Asia.

gyoza ramen & a beer

Feb 20, 2009
Nature will find a way...:sadomaso:

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Remind me not to double-dip... or share my cup with anyone here. Jeezus...

chippy

Satyagrahi
Feb 10, 2008
Nature will find a way...:sadomaso:

I just wanted to reply as a biological sciences major I totally agree...but...I ABSOLUTELY NEEDED to reply to say your message signature brings me unspeakable pleasure. (And I still think she should have responded to his offer by grazing his shoulder: I'm sure she could have made it as tender as a paper cut!)

Gir633

Señor Member
Oct 28, 2008
My question is just how did he and his Japanese "colleges" "discover" the strain ?:virtuous:

Aqua2213

Jul 23, 2008
This advertisement is for all of you who think the glass is half full...

I ALWAYS practice safe sex and I did bring home Gonnorhea once, but it was the safe kind.
:death:

"Japan has historically been the place for the first emergence and subsequent global spread of different types of resistance in gonorrhea."
Hmmm...I suspect that that is not the kind of history you want to spread around... :evil:

I got my first orders to go to Korea many moons ago and the First Sargeant came to me and said, "I see you are soon going to get that social disease called, "Gonetokorea"..." :death: (sorry Korea...)

gyoza ramen & a beer

Feb 20, 2009
its scary but I think nature is just trying to fight for its survival just like us

I guess we are not the only ones that keeps evolving and advancing

Right, and unlike us, Nature just gets on with it.

No updating Facebook pages, no posting to Akiba-Online (gasp!), no Tweeting, no Post-Ironic dead-tech architecture, no religious fundamentalism, no Kentucky Fried Chicken (hey!), etc. and on and on.

Nature IS, always WAS and forever WILL BE. Compared with it, we are as sparrow's tears.

gyoza ramen & a beer

Feb 20, 2009
And I still think she should have responded to his offer by grazing his shoulder...

"The leg is good. It'll bleed plenty and we avoid any unnecessary organs."

loveIdols

Nov 7, 2007
Hmm... more leaky penises.. not good, not good... /runs off to buy an umbrella/

On a serious note this is old news.

H041, first found in a the pharynx of a Japanese sex worker, is 4- to 8-fold more resistant to ceftriaxone — the only form of cephalosporin used to treat that type of gonorrhea in the throat — than any strain ever found.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43689581/ns/health-sexual_health/