Studying in Nagano Japan this Winter

MXS-

Jan 6, 2009
I will be studying Japanese in Ueda Nagano, Japan. Anyone from there or know someone that could help me out from this community? I will be visiting tokyo and osaka in the coming breaks.

Last edited:

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
I have eleven good friends that live out in Nagano, but all life close to Kamikochi. Sorry.

tylersailer

Jan 24, 2011
Sorry my friend I have never been there before (Wish I could!). Wiki tells me it is the home of anime movie "summer wars". Looks like quite a peaceful countryside. I am sure you will have a good time. Since it is countryside, the small kids may be surprise to see foreigners. You know, "wao, Gaijin!" moment. A little bit curious as to why Nagano, not Tokyo or Osaka if you want to study Japanese language?

Nevertheless, I am sure you are following the news of volcano eruption in Nagano. Ueda is not that close, like 150km away or so. I hope everything will be okay when you go there.

Good luck.

Reactions: Ceewan

MXS-

Jan 6, 2009
I thought nagano would be cheaper and more peaceful but this school i am going to kinda sux. They aren't very helpful in helping me out. Just my luck........

Plus this sharehouse I am in sux too. Everyone is so messy. I can handle it for now but i would like to get out of here asap!!!

There is a lot of stuff to do and not too crowded. I can only imagine what tokyo is like. But its still hard to meet people and i'm not the only one. I am not white, i look slightly japanese but when i speak, its obvious i am gaijin.

日本人に会っている、いいかんがえがありますか?do u have any ideas?

tylersailer

Jan 24, 2011
I guess the usual techniques for meeting people shall work for you. i.e. going to dance clubs, joining club/circle activities. If your school or university has some sports clubs or international community clubs, it should be worthwhile to pay a visit. I mean, back in my days in university, that was how I met with Japanese as well as foreign friends. Or maybe something like Nagano Rotary Club. I am sure the online community is helpful, but they are supplemental. First-hand information or encounter is always better when it comes to the locality. Too bad your sharehouse sucks. The sharehouse is supposed to be the place to make a totally new connection with totally different kind of people. Or maybe, you can find the other sharehouse. You know there should be more than your current one that has the vacancy... Either way, there definitely are people who really, really want to talk with foreigners, especially in ENGLISH no matter what your skin colour is.

I just did some google surfing and it tells me that Ueda is very interesting place. Weekend trip to mountain or farm should be nice. As you mentioned, there is a lot of stuff to do there. So a little try will get you find some friends for sure.

tylersailer

Jan 24, 2011
MXS-, There was serioud earthquake in Nagano region on 22 Nov evening. I hope you just ducked and covered from the danger like falling debris.

MXS-

Jan 6, 2009
Thanks for the concern! I am in Ueda, its a bit far from Nagano and we felt a small version of the quake. I was at a 飲み放題 (all you can drink) with some other gaijin and was kinda drunk when it happened lol. The building shook a bit and i was ready to brace for cover, but thank god it wasn't that severe!! We also did a toast right after that. かんぱい!笑lol

Reactions: tylersailer

tylersailer

Jan 24, 2011
そうですか。それを聞いて安心しました。飲みすぎに注意してくださいね。

There may be another earthquake afterwards. Just watch out mate.