staying in yokohama

fugzy

Feb 6, 2008
hello, i am looking for a better place to stay than a hotel. i am looking for a short term ( 2 weeks ) in yokohama close to yokohama arena ? thank-you !!!

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Umm... "better place... than a hotel" would be you buying a home here....

If you want something close to the arena that is very nice, check out the Grand Intercontinental Hotel in Minatomirai/Sakuragicho. You can see it from (most) your room, have access to great shopping and World Porters (big mall style complex), and much more. Look them up. Now if you will excuse me, I need to try and pass out again.

fugzy

Feb 6, 2008
looking for something abit different

thank-you aquamarine. i have been there but never stayed there. i am looking for more of japan feel. this hotel looks great and the view of the bay is nice but it is a western style hotel, and being from canada i would like a more traditional japanese style. and not a hotel.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Look up the guest house chain 'Sakura House'. I'm not aware of any 'Japanese Style Hotels' in the entire area for two reasons... first, I've never searched for them, secondly because (as I could only assume), Japanese prefer western style hotels. As for Sakura House, many of their places (read: hovels) follow a distinct Japanese style, however they ARE guest houses so you'll need to deal with the riff-raff in there.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
It's hard to ask for "more of japan feel" in Yokohama because it's a relatively internationalized city. If you want a more traditional place you'd be better off heading at least towards Kyoto or ideally somewhere into the mountains/middle of nowhere.

At the very least you can look for a ryokan (旅館), which should usually offer a tatami-mat room and futon instead of carpet/bed. Expect a shared bath, unless you pay more for your own private bathroom. Also since ryokans are often cheaper than a fancy hotel, they tend to attract backpackers: so either be prepared to bunk with random people, or do extra homework on finding a private room.

vincent_z

Low Angler
Nov 27, 2007
Bed & Breakfast?

Since you indicate you want to be near Yokohama Arena (which is in Shin-Yokohama), you could consider R&B Shin-Yokohama Ekimae {Japanese-language} :cozy:.
It is on Central Ave. near the municipal subway station.
A pocket-size publication I recommend; and which should have a newer version, is the bi-lingual "The Perfect Guide to Yokohama" [YZ Co., Ltd. | ¥800] :happy2:
It should help find other less-expensive lodges, as well as stores & restaurants, in Yokohama.
Recall that Tokyu trains from Yokohama (& Kikuna) provide swift, and less-expensive service to Shibuya than JR East, and are also cheaper than Keihin trains to Shinagawa, Sengakuji, and Asakusa. :cool: